Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 9/12/2014 10:52:22 PM EDT
I know 45-70 is legal this year but I was curious if this gun is good to go its the 18.5" barrel with 5 shot tube.  Is there any limit on capacity? I've been looking for a reason to buy it and may have found that reason, thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It's all on the Ohio DNR website. I don't know the specific link for the new regulations but Google will find it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:38:49 AM EDT
[#2]
The capacity limit is 2+1, but you don't have to plug the magazines on pistol caliber rifles. It's on the honor system.

So, in short, yes that gun is deer legal this year and good to go.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The capacity limit is 2+1, but you don't have to plug the magazines on pistol caliber rifles. It's on the honor system.

So, in short, yes that gun is deer legal this year and good to go.
View Quote

Don't have to plug shotguns anymore either
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#5]
You can use any gun, as long as the caliber is on the aproved list.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Approved calibre list:

357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Cassull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110, and .500 Smith & Wesson.Shotguns and stright-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.
View Quote

Too bad the 32-40 is not included, I would love to take my 1899 out this year
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:01:44 AM EDT
[#8]
The ODNR consider a tapered case to be a straight wall cartridge (example 45-70)  It is the bottleneck cartridges that are a not allowed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Hopefully next year they change the "list" to read like the pistol regulations.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone going to use a 450 bushmaster sporting a sig brace?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Big tree house w / a .45-70 Govt. Gatling Gun when they're running the Does hard during the rut.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, I was certainly planning on it, but the way the regs now read, with the "can not be shouldered" part in the Circled diagram of the pistol cartridge definition, it looks like it would be a bit in the grey area. Should it be shouldered...no, but can it be? I would guess that would, or at least "could" be a yes. If you plan on doing such, I would highly suggest a RDS instead of a scope, as convincing DNR that you weren't shouldering the gun with a low eye relief scope prolly wouldn't fly

I will closet my 450 build for a year to see if regs change, then I'll be selling it if the stupid caliber list remains. I could care less about a stupid ticket, but it's not worth losing my license for next seasons bow hunting, just cause I wanted to have a little fun in gun season. No reason it shouldn't be legal in a rifle....but the ODNR feels they need to suck the fun out of all Ohio hunting.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, I was certainly planning on it, but the way the regs now read, with the "can not be shouldered" part in the Circled diagram of the pistol cartridge definition, it looks like it would be a bit in the grey area. Should it be shouldered...no, but can it be? I would guess that would, or at least "could" be a yes. If you plan on doing such, I would highly suggest a RDS instead of a scope, as convincing DNR that you weren't shouldering the gun with a low eye relief scope prolly wouldn't fly

I will closet my 450 build for a year to see if regs change, then I'll be selling it if the stupid caliber list remains. I could care less about a stupid ticket, but it's not worth losing my license for next seasons bow hunting, just cause I wanted to have a little fun in gun season. No reason it shouldn't be legal in a rifle....but the ODNR feels they need to suck the fun out of all Ohio hunting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well ODNR agree with feds about shouldering pistols.  Its hard to argue if you put it to your shoulder its a rifle.  Main thing is its just does not make sense, if you can use it in a pistol why not rifle?

Like most I'm hoping for an updated cartridge list in the way of "any straight wall cartridge".  If that happens I'll most likely build a 450BM
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top