Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2014 5:38:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#1]
NOT CLELAND'S. Shooters in Maumee has a lot of rental guns and pretty good prices. I'm a CCW instructor but haven't been doing classes lately. Outside of the 2 instructors I teach with, who are also not currently doing any, I don't really have any knowledge on area instructors.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A good handgun needs to have a grip that will handle all fingers and not so fat it's hard to reach the trigger.  Glock 26 seems to fail both criteria.  I had one for less than a week so this is from memory.  (Couldn't wait to dump the pistol.)  Glock 17 meets the all-fingers criteria but double stack Glocks are still pretty fat.  Small pistols are not required for concealed carry but a good holster is.

BTW, no one needs a "good" CHL course.  The course is a "ticket punch," nothing more.  NRA basic handgun course padded out to 12 hours.  Bring twice the coffee you think you'll need!  Buy it by price, one is a good as another.  If you want skills training you need to attend a good 3-day "basic" pistol course, something on the order of TDI Ohio's offering.  They down in Union County and their classes fill fast.  First two days punches the CHL ticket with the difference being there's some skills acquired.

-- Chuck
View Quote

All right, you've been posting this BS for a long time, and I've always bit my tongue.  But dammit you hit a big nerve with that post.

I do not run students through a class just to punch their ticket and send them on their way.  I take my time teaching them seriously, and I know other instructors who do so also. And, yes Chuck, one does need a good CHL class.  Too many people take the class for a ticket punch as you say, and I feel it's an opportunity, as well as my responsibility, to lead them in the right direction for more training afterwards.  

I'm sorry you had such a shitty CHL class. But to say my class is just as good as another, well that's pretty fucking insulting.

Striker, sorry for the outburst.  If your friend is in Cincinnati anytime, I'll give her the class for free.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Lucas County

Wood County

While I cannot really speak for any of the guys on the list, I assume it would be a good starting point for finding a decent instructor.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree with GoTime here. Basic Pistol meets Ohio's requirements, and a lot of instructors teach that class straight from the book, which doesn't offer much. However, plenty of instructors teach more than that, without simply "padding out" BP to 12 hrs. I've always used the Personal Protection courses as a foundation and added information that NRA doesn't address. Being right on the MI border, I need to do PPITH for MI students anyway. My classes don't have any problem hitting 10 classroom hours, and we always do at least 100 rds. in the 2 range hours. While a highly knowledgeable and skilled gun owner probably won't get much more from our type of classes than a "ticket punch" BP course, new shooters tend to benefit greatly. For somebody at a higher level who inexplicably doesn't already have a permit, I'd suggest a real firearms school like TDI.

I agree with you on Glocks though, Chuck. They can be chunky for someone with small hands. Striker, I'd suggest your friend try at least one or two single stacks in addition to the Glock, and possibly some other double stack makes (M&P, et al).
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-ccw-classes-and-instructors#wood

Firearm Education & Training
10139 Sugar Ridge Road
Bowling Green, OH 43402
[email protected] 419-351-6703
NRA training counselor.

I have taken many courses here and was very happy with the instructor. Most large gun ranges are all about meeting the minimum requirements and handing out a piece of paper that says you passed. But here there is much more personal attention, classes are usually about 5 people, its a friendly and comfortable environment (comfy couches) and open discussion and questions are encouraged. The instructor also has handguns in various calibers to let new shooters get a feel for different options.  I know in the past he has done women only classes if there is enough demand for one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#10]

I was about to suggest them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I have taken instructor level classes from Bill Barber in Wood County, nice guy and a fine instructor if you are looking for very by-the-book NRA.    

Our (Adaptive Defense Concepts) class is more of a basics of defensive pistol class that has been tailored to meet the requirements of state law and fit in the 12-hour requirement window.   It's a good start and admittedly a "tip of the iceberg" class designed to orient the student with defensive mindset, practical manipulations and an intro to defensive marksmanship.  

I hear what you're thinking, and you're correct - 12 hours with 2 hours of range time is not enough training for someone who's serious about defensive carry.  But, as much of the salient topics as can be included in this class to get someone started in the right direction are there.  

Doctrine is based on practical experience carrying; shooting experience in competition and training at a variety of schools; as well as significant academic research, particularly into mindset and the effects of the stress response.  

Instructors are insured and there is a money-back guarantee if the Sheriff's office rejects the application based on training (which has never happened to us, we take great pains to ensure training meets the letter of the law, and providing the student with a quality experience).
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#13]
This is the guy to go to, especially for women.  

Mike Latscha of Defensive Weaponcraft Academy ltd.  phone at 419-466-8570,  e-mail at [email protected]

He is a former SWAT instructor and sometimes has all women classes.

My buddy's wife and her two friends took the CCW class from him.  I have never heard so much raving(in a good way) about a CCW class.  With all the women having no gun experience to very little,  they were apprehensive and nervous about the class.  Some of the things I remember that they said they liked about him was:  He explained things very well, wasn't at all bothered by questions and answered every question without making them feel that the question was stupid or wasting his time.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for posting this topic.  Something I've been thinking over for a while now.  

I checked into Firearms Education and Training out of BG.  Might be a class in late Nov. if he can get four students.  He had two and with me makes three, so looks fairly good.  
So now I need to find a concealed holster for my S&W M&P Model 10 .38 Special LOL.  
Looking forward to this, but in a way, sort of leery to be carrying a loaded firearm in public in a city, but what I've seen from being here in Toledo...kind of scared to think that I can't at the moment LOL!
Mark
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:56:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A good handgun needs to have a grip that will handle all fingers and not so fat it's hard to reach the trigger.  Glock 26 seems to fail both criteria.  I had one for less than a week so this is from memory.  (Couldn't wait to dump the pistol.)  Glock 17 meets the all-fingers criteria but double stack Glocks are still pretty fat.  Small pistols are not required for concealed carry but a good holster is.

BTW, no one needs a "good" CHL course.  The course is a "ticket punch," nothing more.  NRA basic handgun course padded out to 12 hours.  Bring twice the coffee you think you'll need!  Buy it by price, one is a good as another.  If you want skills training you need to attend a good 3-day "basic" pistol course, something on the order of TDI Ohio's offering.  They down in Union County and their classes fill fast.  First two days punches the CHL ticket with the difference being there's some skills acquired.

-- Chuck
View Quote

Good advice. Take the cheapest CHL class that she can, just to get the state requirements done. Then range time and training with concealed carry as the focus.
I would add to steer her away from the "micro" pistols in .380, the LCP, bodyguard, etc. They are usually very snappy in recoil, and most people even with small hands have problems with manipulations. The .380 round is really weak for the amount of recoil as well.
The shield and Kahr pistols in 9mm are good places to start, as well as some of the hammerless .38 revolvers.

ETA
while most instructors do their best to give their students the best class available, 12 hours, even of just solid range time, is not enough to prepare you to carry concealed. I don't care how much time you have spent shooting. Defensive shooting skills need to be practiced regularly, and correctly, to be of any use.
I loosely teach the basic pistol, and add pertinent information along the way. The stuff I add is always of a defensive nature, with a huge emphasis on proper mindset and when to shoot/ not shoot. I require 100 rounds minimum, and use defensive drills for the range time.
I also tell my students that my class is enough to allow them carry legally, and they can, but they have an obligation to themselves, and anyone they wish to protect, to continue their training beyond the basic course.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#16]
If anyone still looking,  ADC has a class this coming weekend (11/7/14 & 11/8/14) with a few openings in it yet.  www.adc-training.com
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I highly recommend the class taught by Dave Cichocki, currently with the Toledo Police Dept.  He has a lot of years of SWAT experience, and armorer experience with the PD.  The class is only $50 too, which was a great price for what my wife and I thought was very solid instruction.  The next class is Nov 30 in Whitehouse.  Text or call 419-654-5555 and ask for Joe, he will give you any additional details as he schedules the classes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:52:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks guys, I am in need too. Wife needs a class and my guy quit doing it.

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top