Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 2:11:29 PM EDT
I will be in the toledo area for a few months. Any good gun shops and ranges?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I will be in the toledo area for a few months. Any good gun shops and ranges?
View Quote

ADCO in Sylvania; top notch gunsmith and a sponsor of this site.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Once I get my barrel and flash hider, adco is the first place I'm headed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Cleland's on Rt 2 West of 23/475, Bass Pro in Perrysburg, Cabelas just up the road in Dundee, MI,  Camp Perry and the CMP North Store about 40 minutes East on Rt 2.  Just for starters off the top of my head.  Plenty of ranges.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't realize that adco was so close. I do need my Sbr engraved.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 for ADCO. Right in Sylvania. Lucky to have those guys right in my backyard
Shooters of Maumee is a nice new indoor range. You can shoot rifle there too. Good folks
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shooters of Maumee is a nice new indoor range. You can shoot rifle there too. Good folks
View Quote

I realized how much better it is than Clelland's when the guy next to me did a mag dump with his Saiga and nobody said a thing
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I didn't realize that adco was so close. I do need my Sbr engraved.
View Quote

ADCO does not engrave SBR's.  

That seems to be the only AR related smithing they don't do.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#8]
GunShops

Clelands
Todd's Guns in Lambertville MI, just a little north. Marine and an AR guy
The usual big boxes, Gander and Bass Pro

Ranges
Shooters of Maumee is probably best
Clelands
I shoot at Sandusky County. Private club. If you get the itch to shoot, PM me before a weekend and you can tag along. Maud on here is a member too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I realized how much better it is than Clelland's when the guy next to me did a mag dump with his Saiga and nobody said a thing
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah they seem to be the non liberal range in NW Ohio. I have talked with the owner quite a few times. Seems like a good guy and is really into guns

I wouldn't go to Clelands if it was free.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#10]
If you aren't opposed to traveling a little, Bullet Stop Inc. used to be the best indoor range in the area. I've not been to Shooter's yet, but I'm sure they have taken over the title. Still, the owner and his wife are great people and I've done a decent amount of business with them.

Of course, Adco is the best toy store in the area. They have all kinds of firearms and accessories. They, of course, specialize on the AR platform and can do just about anything you'd want to do to one.

Great Lakes GunWorx is a pretty good place, located in Rossofrd. The owner is a hell of a nice guy and his prices aren't half bad. Small place, but worth a look at, if only to BS with the owner.

If you've never been there, you should visit the CMP North Store while you're in the area. It's a shadow of it's former glory, but still an interesting place to visit.

Shotgun fan? Jaqua's in Findley has some of the finest available. They have other guns, as well.

If you check out Jaqua's, you might as well go to TNT Firearms and The Buffalo Trading Company too. Buffalo tands to run high on non-sale prices, IMO, but that have a LARGE selection. Interesting to visit. TNT always seems to have at least one Mossberg M44 or other military trainer style .22 rifle on-hand.

If you fancy Garands and M1A/M14s, the owner of Mid County Firearms knows a LOT about them.

There's a lot of smaller shops around, too. Some are pretty decent, some are pretty .

Sandusky County is a great place. I'd take one of these guy up on the offer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#11]
+100 on "shooters of maumee".

Adco is great but almost no selection. very small.  mostly Glock and some ruger pistols if i remember correctly.  But that was at the very beginning of the panic.  Clelands has a huge selection.. but i always get a weird vibe from those people.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:30:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah they seem to be the non liberal range in NW Ohio. I have talked with the owner quite a few times. Seems like a good guy and is really into guns

View Quote

I don't think that's a fair statement. Cleland's is more traditionally situated than ADCO for example, but they aren't liberal. They're Fudd-ish.

Cleland's archery dept is great. It also helps that they're 10mins ftom my house.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I dislike clelands. I graduated high school with the owner's of shooters daughter and they are good people and a nice range. Bullet stop is where I tend to go in the winter as it's pretty close to me and cheap. Sandusky county and Adam's conservation league are both nice clubs (not a member of either I'm too cheap and have friends with land I can shoot at but have been to both multiple times). I go to adco for pretty much everything other than ammo because Steve is a great guy and obviously extremely knowledgeable.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Shooters is the nicest indoor I've been to in NW Ohio, and Sandusky County Sportsman's Club is the nicest outdoor club I've ever been to, period (after attending my first event there, I joined asap). Just a heads up about Shooters, if you take your NFA toys, they'll want to see & hold your paperwork while your there. Not judging, just informing. Some are comfortable with it, some are not. And yeah, stop by ADCO Tue-Sat if your near Sylvania, you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:55:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't think that's a fair statement. Cleland's is more traditionally situated than ADCO for example, but they aren't liberal. They're Fudd-ish.

Cleland's archery dept is great. It also helps that they're 10mins ftom my house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll agree that Cleland's are Fudds.  Although I've patronized the place since 1993, I haven't done much there the last few years. The pricing has always been high, but since the fire and rebuild a few years ago there's been something kind of off-putting about the place.

It crystallized for me in yesterday's article in the Toledo Blade:

Cleland’s Outdoor World does not allow any automatic weapons in its Airport Highway store and shooting range, according to DeeDee Liedel, store manager.

“That is a firearm that is outside of the sporting atmosphere,” she said. “We don’t have the appropriate licenses, and anything of that type really has no place on our range.”

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2014/08/30/Area-range-owners-shocked-by-gun-tragedy.html

The heck with 'em.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'll agree that Cleland's are Fudds.  Although I've patronized the place since 1993, I haven't done much there the last few years. The pricing has always been high, but since the fire and rebuild a few years ago there's been something kind of off-putting about the place.

Cleland’s Outdoor World does not allow any automatic weapons in its Airport Highway store and shooting range, according to DeeDee Liedel, store manager.

“That is a firearm that is outside of the sporting atmosphere,” she said. “We don’t have the appropriate licenses, and anything of that type really has no place on our range.”

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2014/08/30/Area-range-owners-shocked-by-gun-tragedy.html

The heck with 'em.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The heck with 'em.

I don't think you could ever shoot centerfire rifles there anyway.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The heck with 'em.

+1

Didn't think their range  was rated for rifles.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The heck with 'em.
View Quote

I've used my AR with a .22 kit in it before. They never said a word.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The heck with 'em.

+1

I'm pretty sure that they're not rated for centerfire rifles.  I just take issue with the "sporting atmosphere" Fuddism.  I guess I'm not the customer that they want. (shrug)
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I have been going to Clelands since the 80's. You had to, it was the only game in town. I have never liked them. High prices prevented me from buying much from them, but you still had to shoot there unless you had land to shoot on. I have had dozens of bad and strange experiences with them over the years. The bizarre rules that have surfaced over the years seem as though some liberal Lucas County Nazi sits on some mythical Clelands board of directors. They were the only game in town for so long, that they think they still are. Places like Shooters and ADCO have made Clelands an obsolete joke...unless of course you're into bows

Around here saying "I'm going to Clelands" is like saying "I have no idea what I'm doing"
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you for the great info, guys. I will definitely check these places out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a question on ADCO.  I've heard they do gunsmithing, but know they are geared more towards modern AR15 and like firearms.  If I go in there with a 1960s-1980s era Stevens Shotgun with a broken spring and inquire about having it looked at...will I get laughed out of there? LOL!!!  
Mark
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have been going to Clelands since the 80's. You had to, it was the only game in town. I have never liked them. High prices prevented me from buying much from them, but you still had to shoot there unless you had land to shoot on. I have had dozens of bad and strange experiences with them over the years. The bizarre rules that have surfaced over the years seem as though some liberal Lucas County Nazi sits on some mythical Clelands board of directors. They were the only game in town for so long, that they think they still are. Places like Shooters and ADCO have made Clelands an obsolete joke...unless of course you're into bows

Around here saying "I'm going to Clelands" is like saying "I have no idea what I'm doing"
View Quote

I just saw a guy buy a Mossberg Semi auto shotgun from Woodville Surplus because he was taking up shooting clays. He went in for an over and under and the guy bought the display gun for full price. I think it was around $650 or so.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#24]
If you don't mind a 45 minute drive from ADCO or Cabelas, then Johnson's just North of Adrian, Michigan on M52 is a nice place to shop.  Actually it has been my Go-To for 20+ years.  
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top