Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 7/26/2014 7:55:56 AM EDT
I heard that the PA governor made some ruling that Ohioans cannot just go over the border to get a non res permit.

Is this true or can we still do it? I was always too lazy to do it but I want to soon.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Wasn't there some big change in PA from the gov or AG that impacted Ohioans? I thought I saw something about something.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:54:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I think you're talking about this?

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/action-needed-pennsylvania-attorney-general-rescinding-reciprocity-agreements
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:21:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I let my PA license expire and the Clearfield County Sheriff's office sent me an application without my even asking.  I mailed it in and a couple weeks later they told me to come and pick up my license.  That part has to be done in person.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Crawford requires you apply in person and mails you the license.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I let my PA license expire and the Clearfield County Sheriff's office sent me an application without my even asking.  I mailed it in and a couple weeks later they told me to come and pick up my license.  That part has to be done in person.

Either way, you have to show up in person for your license - picture taking at least - right?  Pretty hassle-free though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:59:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I went to Erie to have my CCW renewed. The process was painless and I had my renewal back to me within a few days.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yep, they just do it in reverse of Clearfield.  Crawford folks are very friendly and helpful, even the security is almost pleasant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either way, you have to show up in person for your license - picture taking at least - right?  Pretty hassle-free though.

Yep, they just do it in reverse of Clearfield.  Crawford folks are very friendly and helpful, even the security is almost pleasant.

Clearfield is the same.  I'm actually smiling in my license picture because the ladies in the office were so much fun I couldn't help myself.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#11]
There are some counties that will not process non-resident applications and renewals, and some that require you to have references that live in the county.  It took some calling around for me to find a place that was willing to do it for me.  I had my original permit though Centre County.  There was one county that would only allow me to renew if I had obtained the original there, and they are no longer taking "new" non-resident applications.  The moral of the story is call the Sheriff's Office first and ask about your specific situation, and what they require.  Otherwise, you might just waste a trip.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I haven't heard any first hand stories of any recent applications, only renewals.  I got mine ~10 years ago in Mercer Co.  Relatives that already renewed said Mercer Co was easy, 10 minutes in and out.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I haven't heard any first hand stories of any recent applications, only renewals.  I got mine ~10 years ago in Mercer Co.  Relatives that already renewed said Mercer Co was easy, 10 minutes in and out.
View Quote

Mercer Co. is currently not issuing new non-resident licenses, only renewals.

http://www.mcc.co.mercer.pa.us/sheriff/Forms/License.To.Carry.Instructions.pdf

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:35:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn mercer was where I was going to go too.

And yep that article is the one I remember seeing a while back.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Went to Venango County, everyone was super cheerful, and took 15 minutes in and out.

Would have been 5, but the card laminator had to heat up.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There are some counties that will not process non-resident applications and renewals, and some that require you to have references that live in the county.  It took some calling around for me to find a place that was willing to do it for me.  I had my original permit though Centre County.  There was one county that would only allow me to renew if I had obtained the original there, and they are no longer taking "new" non-resident applications.  The moral of the story is call the Sheriff's Office first and ask about your specific situation, and what they require.  Otherwise, you might just waste a trip.
View Quote

I have my original from Center County too.  Where did you end getting yours?  I have about 8 months left.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#17]
So is there a list of which counties in PA, that do give non res permit?
Any other State that have non res permits, but the Sheriffs are not issuing them?

Thanks!

PITA45

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Any other State that have non res permits, but the Sheriffs are not issuing them?

Thanks!

PITA45

View Quote

Best bet is to go through a map of the PA counties and look up the websites for their Sheriff departments.

Based on the bordering counties I know the following, these are listed in order from north to south, you may notice an interesting trend:

Erie:  Will issue to non-residents.  

Crawford:  Will issue to non-residents.

Venango:  Will issue to non-residents.

Mercer:  Will renew permits to those non-residents currently holding a Mercer Co. LTCF.  Will NOT issue new non-residents.

Lawrence:  Will issue to non-residents, BUT, the two non-relative references you provide on the application must be residents of Lawrence Co.

Beaver:  Will only issue to residents of Beaver Co.

Washington:  Will only issue to residents of Washington Co.

Green:  Will only issue to residents of Greene Co.

ETA: looked up a few more and made a quick and dirty reference map.  Green colored counties will issue to non-residents.  Red will not.  Orange will but has unique rules that may or may not make them prohibitive.  Ones with question marks are unknown due to lack of info on their websites.

Also keep in mind that in all cases, you must have a valid Ohio CHL in order to apply for a PA one, and you must appear in person at the location where you apply; it can no longer be done strictly through the mail.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:59:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have my original from Center County too.  Where did you end getting yours?  I have about 8 months left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ended up driving to Crawford County.  They were very helpful.  Take quarters, nearly all the parking in Meadville has meters.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:47:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Best bet is to go through a map of the PA counties and look up the websites for their Sheriff departments.

Based on the bordering counties I know the following, these are listed in order from north to south, you may notice an interesting trend:

Mercer:  Will renew permits to those non-residents currently holding a Mercer Co. LTCF.  Will NOT issue new non-residents.

Lawrence:  Will issue to non-residents, BUT, the two non-relative references you provide on the application must be residents of Lawrence Co.

ETA: looked up a few more and made a quick and dirty reference map.  Green colored counties will issue to non-residents.  Red will not.  Orange will but has unique rules that may or may not make them prohibitive.  Ones with question marks are unknown due to lack of info on their websites.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25626665/2626/Pennsylvania-counties-map88569.png

Also keep in mind that in all cases, you must have a valid Ohio CHL in order to apply for a PA one, and you must appear in person at the location where you apply; it can no longer be done strictly through the mail.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

PITA45

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25626665/2626/Pennsylvania-counties-map88569.png

Thanks for this. My Centre County PA CHL is about to expire on Sept. 11th.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#21]
May give Fayette Co. a call the next time I'm up to Pittsburgh. If they won't, the other counties are too far out of my way to bother. I don't really need a PA permit as I don't think it will do anything that my Ohio/Utah non-res combo does, but since reciprocity rules are not set in stone it would be nice to have other options.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Westmoreland County does them too.

It is at 2 North Main Street, Greensburg Pa 15601.  Phone number is 724 830-3800.
They are open 8:15-3:30 No appointment necessary, just walk in.

You will need:
•Letter to Sheriff on why you need to carry a gun
•Drivers License
•Ohio Gun permit.

Cost is $20.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

It is at 2 North Main Street, Greensburg Pa 15601.  Phone number is 724 830-3800.

You will need:

•Drivers License

•Ohio Gun permit.

Cost is $20.
View Quote

Just want to confirm this info is recent?  Their website HERE states they require a "Pennsylvania Driver's License or Pennsylvania Photo Identification Card with a current address."  This seems to indicate that they only issue to PA residents.

Just want to confirm so I can update my map above.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just want to confirm this info is recent?  Their website HERE states they require a "Pennsylvania Driver's License or Pennsylvania Photo Identification Card with a current address."  This seems to indicate that they only issue to PA residents.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will need:
•Drivers License
•Ohio Gun permit.

Cost is $20.

I called Greensburg on 7/15/2014 and got this information from them directly.
A couple days later,  I had relatives go there that live on Ohio border and they said everything went fine.
While you have to apply in person, they mail you the CCW.  
Just checked with my relatives and while Greensburg said it would take 2-3 weeks after they applied to receive their PA CCW,  my relatives received theirs in the mail about 3 days after they applied.

I included Phone number for their firearms permits.   I would suggest calling just to make sure nothing has changed in last couple of weeks.  

Edit:  Here  is where I started my search for PA CCW. I called potential places directly because as you found out, some counties place additional conditions on non-resident permits.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:59:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#27]
My carry permit has my old address on it, my drivers license has my new address. Sheriff said I don't need a new permit, just update it when I renew.

Will that cause a problem if I try and get a PA permit?
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

My carry permit has my old address on it, my drivers license has my new address. Sheriff said I don't need a new permit, just update it when I renew.

Will that cause a problem if I try and get a PA permit?
View Quote

I would call the Sheriff's office you intend to go to and ask, clarifying to them that in Ohio, simply notifying the issuing Sheriff of the change of address is all that is needed.  Unfortunately in PA, the Sheriffs are permitted to make up some rules as they go.  Even though you're 100% fine in Ohio with the non-matching address, a PA Sheriff may decide that it disqualifies you.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Are these places open on the weekends at all? Wife is a teacher so it would be nearly impossible for her to go with me to get hers.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top