Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 4:39:20 PM EDT
The wife and I are planning a week long camping trip in the last week of July this year. We are looking at Wayne National Forest. Any tips, suggestions, things to do while there?  We will be tent camping and dont mind roughing it. Post your expirence please.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#1]
What area?  We go fourwheeling several times a year at the monday creek trailhead.  There is hocking hills area to visit not that far.  I know they have alot of cabins available for rent so you can sleep there then go into the forest for hiking.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]
We were thinking the hune bridge campground, we like tent camping.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Old thread is old, but figure Ill comment anyhow.

Been to The Ironton District a few times, and the hiking trails down there arent too bad. Got eaten alive by Ticks with a few friends of mine in April so avoid it then.

Camped/Hiked at Whildcat Hollow a handful of times, was nice but hope you are in decent shape. Lots of up and down trails.

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is a road trip that I posted on a motocycle forum...It's from the Wayne Nation Forest (NE or Marietta).

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545793

For some reason I can't repost it here so check out the link to the thread.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Do they charge for each person at Wayne or by the vehicle?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:34:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is a road trip that I posted on a motorcycle forum...It's from the Wayne Nation Forest (NE or Marietta).

View Quote

Are there lots of dirt roads/off-roading areas down around Hocking Hills/Wayne National Forest?

Can you run the forest trails/roads?

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The "National Forest" is free, and back country camping in the forest is also free. There are national stipulations to back country camping IE. At least 100ft off roads/trails, leave no trace, can only stay so many days, etc. you must abide by. Do not get back country camping confused with camping in designated national forest camp sites you pay for.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is a road trip that I posted on a motorcycle forum...It's from the Wayne Nation Forest (NE or Marietta).

Are there lots of dirt roads/off-roading areas down around Hocking Hills/Wayne National Forest?

There are some forest roads, but many times they are roped off. It is my understand if they are NOT roped off, you can go explore them. Just be careful that you don't go down an open forest road to set up camp and then find out the next day that the road was roped off. You may be stuck.

One last bit of wisdom my brother and I learned from personal experience, be sure to cross reference the hunting dates with the dates you plan to visit the forest. We planned a backpacking trip at the Wildcat Hollow only to find that once we arrived, the trail head was full of hunters who would be marching around the woods shooting at anything that moved. Evidentally we had scheduled our trip at the same time they had a special muzzle-loading hunt going on..
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the good info. I was planning to ATV, isnt there some kind of fee for that?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes...I use the OHIO "DeLORME Atlas and Gazetteer" and Google Maps to find dirt roads.  There is also plenty of off road trails (see the link below for some).

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/wayne/recreation/ohv
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 4:30:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the good info. I was planning to ATV, isnt there some kind of fee for that?
View Quote

Yes you need a trail permit, see here

ETA - you can mail order them ahead of time here
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay thanks, that answers the fee question. you can ride the Piaute Trails system in Utah for free and it is over 2K miles in all.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Here is another GREAT place to visit in the area...The Wilds

http://www.thewilds.org/default.aspx
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're going for a weekend in Mid-July, all ATV's.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top