Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2014 6:28:11 AM EDT
Anyone know of examples of prosecutions for setting of tannerite in Ohio?  
I'm looking for actual court records, not rumors, hints, threats, etc.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:50:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:06:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you are causing an issue with a neighbor, I'd bet there is something that could be dug up.

Last weekend, sheriff cruisers when screaming past our house.  I turned on my scanner app and heard what that was about.  Then a separate complaint was called in about exploding targets.  The deputy arrived, a few minutes later he called back in service with the comment "they have a safe backstop, I'm 33".

Just be respectful of others and don't be obnoxious and I think you'll be fine.

This happened Ashtabula County.
View Quote
+1

don't blow up 10 lbs off at a time
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I was told that its an F-2 if you set it off in Ohio.  (by someone who thinks he knows it all)

I'm trying to see if anyone has actually been charged.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:14:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Scroll to the bottom,   Read the last 2 paragraphs

Link to ohio law showing felony 2 and felony 5
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Google is your friend:

Link
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#6]
And that would be the state firemarshall's OPINION. Not what the OP is asking for. A judge/jurry's opinion is the one he wants. By the SFMs opinion the smokeless powder most of us possess would be illegal the way I read it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:59:29 AM EDT
[#7]
now i am paranoid...i have a lot left over and not sure if i would take the chance now
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
And that would be the state firemarshall's OPINION. Not what the OP is asking for. A judge/jurry's opinion is the one he wants. By the SFMs opinion the smokeless powder most of us possess would be illegal the way I read it.
View Quote

It's the source of the controversy is what it is.  It is not rumor, threat and the other things OP didn't want to hear about.  There are no cases to my knowledge.

You average posts twice a month and have that sort of a 'tude?

Happy Easter Cotter!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Come on up to the Gun-n-Grub and we can dispose of it for you. I'll even call the SO to let them know what is going on that day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
now i am paranoid...i have a lot left over and not sure if i would take the chance now

Come on up to the Gun-n-Grub and we can dispose of it for you. I'll even call the SO to let them know what is going on that day.

Do we still have a 10# at a time limit?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

too far a drive for that day, sorry i would love to be there - too much going on
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's the source of the controversy is what it is.  It is not rumor, threat and the other things OP didn't want to hear about.  There are no cases to my knowledge.

Happy Easter Cotter!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happy Easter Cotter!

Sorry if I seemed to step on your Easter lilly, not my intent (maybe a lil short/sweet because I am posting from my phone). I did briefly search the OSC website today and found nothing to support it with case law.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here's what you linked:

(A) No person shall knowingly acquire, have, carry, or use any dangerous ordnance.

(B) No person shall manufacture or process an explosive at any location in this state unless the person first has been issued a license, certificate of registration, or permit to do so from a fire official of a political subdivision of this state or from the office of the fire marshal.

Here are the definitions of the terms used in your cite:

(K) "Dangerous ordnance" means any of the following, except as provided in division (L) of this section:

(1) Any automatic or sawed-off firearm, zip-gun, or ballistic knife;

(2) Any explosive device or incendiary device;

(H) "Explosive device" means any device designed or specially adapted to cause physical harm to persons or property by means of an explosion, and consisting of an explosive substance or agency and a means to detonate it. "Explosive device" includes without limitation any bomb, any explosive demolition device, any blasting cap or detonator containing an explosive charge, and any pressure vessel that has been knowingly tampered with or arranged so as to explode.

(I) "Incendiary device" means any firebomb, and any device designed or specially adapted to cause physical harm to persons or property by means of fire, and consisting of an incendiary substance or agency and a means to ignite it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#14]
There have not been any to my knowledge. I have seen some sound ordnance and disorderly conducts but nothing for the dangerous ordinance part.
Most LEO don't seem to care as long as you use it responsibly.

Here is the important things you need to know.

Most reactive targets are a combination of ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder which could be considered sensitized ammonium nitrate while mixed.

ORC 2923.11
(K) "Dangerous ordnance" means any of the following, except as provided in division (L) of this section:
(K)(3)  Nitroglycerin, nitrocellulose, nitrostarch, PETN, cyclonite, TNT, picric acid, and other high explosives; amatol, tritonal, tetrytol, pentolite, pecretol, cyclotol, and other high explosive compositions; plastic explosives; dynamite, blasting gelatin, gelatin dynamite, sensitized ammonium nitrate, liquid-oxygen blasting explosives, blasting powder, and other blasting agents; and any other explosive substance having sufficient brisance or power to be particularly suitable for use as a military explosive, or for use in mining, quarrying, excavating, or demolitions;
View Quote

ORC 2923.17
(A) No person shall knowingly acquire, have, carry, or use any dangerous ordnance.
(B) No person shall manufacture or process an explosive at any location in this state unless the person first has been issued a license, certificate of registration, or permit to do so from a fire official of a political subdivision of this state or from the office of the fire marshal.
(D) Whoever violates division (A) of this section is guilty of unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, a felony of the fifth degree.
(E) Whoever violates division (B) of this section is guilty of illegally manufacturing or processing explosives, a felony of the second degree.
View Quote

Not to mention if you use it to blow something up then it could be considered an explosive device.
ORC 2923.11
(H) "Explosive device" means any device designed or specially adapted to cause physical harm to persons or property by means of an explosion, and consisting of an explosive substance or agency and a means to detonate it. "Explosive device" includes without limitation any bomb, any explosive demolition device, any blasting cap or detonator containing an explosive charge, and any pressure vessel that has been knowingly tampered with or arranged so as to explode.
View Quote

And due to the broad term for explosive, reactive targets can be considered explosive which is also in the dangerous ordnance section
ORC 2923.17
(M) "Explosive" means any chemical compound, mixture, or device, the primary or common purpose of which is to function by explosion.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#15]
There are people shooting at tannerite or some other type of exploding target EVERY weekend at one of the local gun clubs I belong to.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm still proud of this MG shoot I put on!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Fin Feather Fur sells binary targets in Boardman, OH, including the one pounder.
Bet shooting one in the outskirts of Youngstown would have the swat team on you in a hurry.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top