Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2014 9:59:56 AM EDT
On the spur of the moment we put the kids and a tent in the car and headed east and ended up spending the night at West Branch State Park.  Holy cow, you guys have some coyotes out your way!  From 11:00 to maybe 3:00 they were yipping and howling almost constantly from all points of the compass - and I'm pretty sure they took down a deer close to us considering the gruesome noises we heard.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#1]
They were probably just mad about Obamacare.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Called em last night in Ashtabula, only response we got was a couple of the neighbors dogs.  But we usually hear em all night when we camp.

ETA:

Pic of DIY caller I built last year.  Old quad battery, horn speaker and 2 channel amp from Amazon mounted 3/8" plywood.  Flambeau Outlet $5 soft sided cooler bag to hold it all.  Downloaded a bunch of calls to a cheap USB flashdrive style MP3 player.  The more I type, the more I feel I should dig up all the specs and do a complete write-up

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Called em last night in Ashtabula, only response we got was a couple of the neighbors dogs.  But we usually hear em all night when we camp.
View Quote

If you want an extra rifle, let me know.  Sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've only called out there a few times.  Haven't had any luck yet tho.  I'm on the lookout for better land opportunities.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Seen one dead along the freeway here in Columbus the other night.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:33:21 AM EDT
[#6]
they woke me up a few nights ago here in my tract housing development off SR #303 in Portage County. seemed like there was a pack of them, since I heard howling and yipping on all sides of the house!

was really weird--they kept it up for a while--got real spooky sounding, yet at the same time, it was very wild and rebellious, and, in a way, reassuring.

in my phony world of tic-a-tac houses and plastic people, who keep their faces in a jar by the door, it was good to hear something "real." I can't explain it...you'd have to experience it and feel it. Nature--raw and without any hype. Nature is not kind; it is, well, "Nature." The 'yotes will turn mice, rats, coons, deer, and the occasional unguarded household pet back into 'yote. That's Nature's way.

Made me feel good that "real" stuff still surrounds me a bit and not some BS plastic headgear, I-Pads, I-phones, androids and whatever the hell else the human zombies are into. These guys are at least "real" to me.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:49:03 AM EDT
[#7]
i hope you where packing heat!
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:55:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I haven't seen coyote roadkill ever before.  This year, I've seen at least a dozen already.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:03:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw plenty of their tracks all winter out at west branch, at least the days the lake was frozen over and we had to hunt the river on the west.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ive seen hem before, but the past couple years they seem to be everywhere.  I also saw a bunch of dead redtails along 77.  It seems like hawk numbers are way up? Ive never seen as many as I did this year.

Not sure how I quoted the wrong person, but I meant to quote the guy talking about roadkills.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Visiting the in-laws who live in independence with the national park in their back yard, as I was leaving they started to howl and yip and it was beautifully scary.
The neighborhood dogs started up and then it ended with one long soulful howl that made the hair on me neck stand up.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aren't we always
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Aren't we always
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aren't we always

Ask me how my sons spent $10 on candy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Probably going to go hunt them later on this week once the weather improves a bit more. My parents farm has two distinct dens.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I live just up the road from Robinson Memorial and have 23 acres.  When the ambulances go by, the yotes answer the siren.  Pretty spooky.  I figure there have been as many as a dozen of them running around together back there.

They seem to know the deal though.  In 13 years, I've only seen them in the three acres up by the house once, and in that one's defense, it was hunting ducks in the ditch.  As long as they stay away from the house and my dogs, I leave them be.  There are plenty of rabbits, mice and moles to go around.

During that early muzzleloader season, I got a really bad picture of one at about 20 yards, from my tree stand.  It was running directly towards me.  If I had been a little more slick, and had my iPhone on HDR, I could have gotten an incredible picture.

Years ago, I was camping in Montana.  They were all around the tents and it woke me up in the middle of the night.  Talk about primal.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:25:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I live just up the road from Robinson Memorial and have 23 acres.  When the ambulances go by, the yotes answer the siren.  Pretty spooky.  I figure there have been as many as a dozen of them running around together back there.

They seem to know the deal though.  In 13 years, I've only seen them in the three acres up by the house once, and in that one's defense, it was hunting ducks in the ditch.  As long as they stay away from the house and my dogs, I leave them be.  There are plenty of rabbits, mice and moles to go around.

During that early muzzleloader season, I got a really bad picture of one at about 20 yards, from my tree stand.  It was running directly towards me.  If I had been a little more slick, and had my iPhone on HDR, I could have gotten an incredible picture.

Years ago, I was camping in Montana.  They were all around the tents and it woke me up in the middle of the night.  Talk about primal.
View Quote

You're doing it wrong
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:45:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You're doing it wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
*snip*
.  As long as they stay away from the house and my dogs, I leave them be.  
*snip*.

You're doing it wrong

I agree.  These guys are professional hunters.  They are good at being unseen.  I've heard stories from DNR types of countless collars found in large dens.  If they ate 50+ small dogs, how many cats (usually not collar'ed) did they steal from your neighbor's yards.  My SO lives in a fairly rural area, they have 80+ acres, lots of corn and soy fields and lots of woods.  The yotes still end up in the yard.  Probably wouldn't know it if it wasn't for the dogs tied outside going nuts when they get too close.  

To each their own.  Yote and fox pups are quite entertaining to watch play. But once they grow up, the hammer will drop.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I have been camping before and late at night heard them start howling anywhere from 11 o'clock till 3 am. They make me nervous  so what I do it take a pistol. And when they start howling just fire off one round, just one in the air. That party is over . They are done with that. Sometimes two rounds but not very often.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:05:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have been camping before and late at night heard them start howling anywhere from 11 o'clock till 3 am. They make me nervous  so what I do it take a pistol. And when they start howling just fire off one round, just one in the air. That party is over . They are done with that. Sometimes two rounds but not very often.
View Quote

And where do you camp?  
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Camping isn't camping with a lot of people around to me. I like to get away from the crowd. But that is just me. Some people have campers that are nice as there home. Oh well if everyone was the same this would be a dull world. Oh and my best place that I like to camp is up in Ontario ,Canada on a fly in walleye fishing trip. But that is just me. Enjoy the outdoors gentleman.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top