Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:36:43 AM EDT
[#1]
just got this from ODNR

Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:08 PM
To: Gibbs, Jason
Subject: RE: Wildlife Inquiry

Here is the information from the press release with clarification comments provided in red:

“The council also approved straight-walled cartridge rifles for deer hunting. The rifles are the same caliber and use the same straight-walled cartridges that are currently legal for use in handguns. While not all of rifle cartridges listed are currently available in handguns,  IF they were, they would be legal in a handgun for deer hunting in Ohio.  The new regulation is designed to allow additional opportunities for hunters that own these guns or want to hunt with these guns.”

These rifles have reduced recoil compared to larger shotguns, and the rifles are more accurate than the same caliber handgun. Legal deer hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.  These are the only calibers of rifles that will be allowed for deer hunting in Ohio in 2014.  The list is very specific.  Nowhere is the statement made that any and all calibers that are available in a handgun are legal for use in a rifle for deer hunting in Ohio.

Me
To Gibbs, Jason
Today at 8:35 AM
thank you, with many similar cartridges left off the list, is there any procedure to petition to have others added?

Gibbs, Jason
To Me
Today at 8:42 AM
You are welcome.  I would recommend attending an open house.  The dates for this seasons open house(s) will be in the back of the 2014-2015 Hunting Regulations.  The regulations typically come out in June/July.

Thanks,
Jason
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:14:53 AM EDT
[#2]
While not all of rifle cartridges listed are currently available in handguns, IF they were, they would be legal in a handgun for deer hunting in Ohio. The new regulation is designed to allow additional opportunities for hunters that own these guns or want to hunt with these guns.”
View Quote

What?

ETA: I guess a few of those cartridges they approved only have rifles available for them.

.50-110

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:32:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Why is .38 special on the list, but not .40 S&W? While certainly neither would be considered an ideal deer round, aren't the ballistics similar? I would think any of the smaller pistol rounds would be considered for short range hunting only anyway.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why is .38 special on the list, but not .40 S&W? While certainly neither would be considered an ideal deer round, aren't the ballistics similar? I would think any of the smaller pistol rounds would be considered for short range hunting only anyway.
View Quote

You're asking for an awful lot expecting people writing up these policies to actually make sense.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You're asking for an awful lot expecting people writing up these policies to actually make sense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess.  I was just thinking it might be fun to try out an AR carbine in 40 s&w at close range.  One could sure afford to practice more with 40 cal ammo than deer slugs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I guess.  I was just thinking it might be fun to try out an AR carbine in 40 s&w at close range.  One could sure afford to practice more with 40 cal ammo than deer slugs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it made any sense I could hunt with my AT94K 9mm based on .38 special terminal ballistics. Sadly not going to happen this season though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember, most cops, including game wardens are not gun people.  They don't keep up with modern (developed in the last 30 50 years) cartridges and firearms.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:06:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Its not about ballistics as much as perception.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:27:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is hitting the nail on the head.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:18:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. The thought of hunters out there with ARs and MP5s is scary.

This should be good to go(once the silencer changes pass).
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

no dummies needed, and looks the same for SG plugs now, just dont have more then 3 in the gun...

but this as written is WAY goofy... in 1 paragraph it says "only these specific calibers are ok, in the next, it says "The council also approved straight-walled cartridge rifles for deer hunting. The rifles are the same caliber and use the same straight-walled cartridges that are currently legal for use in handguns."

that would mean its non-specific..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am confused about one thing. What's their logic in allowing dummy rounds in rifles, but shotguns need to be plugged?

no dummies needed, and looks the same for SG plugs now, just dont have more then 3 in the gun...

but this as written is WAY goofy... in 1 paragraph it says "only these specific calibers are ok, in the next, it says "The council also approved straight-walled cartridge rifles for deer hunting. The rifles are the same caliber and use the same straight-walled cartridges that are currently legal for use in handguns."

that would mean its non-specific..

Yeah, I just re-read the ODNR press release.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you hand load you can get 45LC to 44mag levels.  You just have to be careful you don't put one of those rounds in an old gun that cant handle the pressure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, should I pick up a lever gun in .45 colt that I already have in my fort, or should I look to adding some .44mag to the fort?          

And, if you suggest adding the .44mag...what about the +P?

Which would be best/prefered for whitetail?

I'm going to get a lever gun no matter what. I just need to narrow it down to which one.

If you hand load you can get 45LC to 44mag levels.  You just have to be careful you don't put one of those rounds in an old gun that cant handle the pressure.

Why not use 44mag instead at that point?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, should I pick up a lever gun in .45 colt that I already have in my fort, or should I look to adding some .44mag to the fort?          

I'm going to get a lever gun no matter what. I just need to narrow it down to which one.

I appreciate the advice, but I was thinking the same thing.

That's why I believe that .44mag is the one i will go with.

It was either that or .357mag, and that has already been considered on the bubble.

What I really wanted was 30-30. I guess they will force me to buy another when they finally add that to the list.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even better question, why are 38special and 45acp on the list but 10mm is not??
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It was either that or .357mag, and that has already been considered on the bubble.

What I really wanted was 30-30. I guess they will force me to buy another when they finally add that to the list.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about this round?  http://www.hornady.com/store/357-Mag-140-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

/snip

What about this round?  http://www.hornady.com/store/357-Mag-140-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/

Yeah, I seen that one.

Wasn't sure as the reviews were mixed.

Many claimed that anything .357 was a gamble to use for deer because of not doing enough damage.

Others thought that .357 was fine, but not with hollow points as, they split apart on impact thus lessoning the size of the wound track and not allowing enough bleed out.

I was confused, and the .44 was bigger and received more positives than the .357.

I would much prefer the .357 as I have a couple guns in that round already and wouldn't have to add a new round to the fort.

So, you feel that Hornady round will suffice for a shot up to at least 100yds? If so, I could be convinced to rethink my decision.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#17]
dupe sorry
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#18]
being able to hit is the most important part of the equation. .38 and .357 loads are quite a bit easier on the wallet and the shoulder
to practice with. With heavy loads 357 magnum out of a carbine can get you into the lower end of 30-30 ballistics out to 100-125 yards.

I again would avoid lightly constructed self defense loads and keep shots within the range your capabilities allow. .44 will always hit a little
harder with common ammo but either one is a short range cartridge.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:34:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
being able to hit is the most important part of the equation. .38 and .357 loads are quite a bit easier on the wallet and the shoulder
to practice with. With heavy loads 357 magnum out of a carbine can get you into the lower end of 30-30 ballistics out to 100-125 yards.

I again would avoid lightly constructed self defense loads and keep shots within the range your capabilities allow. .44 will always hit a little
harder with common ammo but either one is a short range cartridge.
View Quote

You make very good points about why to choose 357 or 44 over a slug gun.  From a distance standpoint, they are probably close to equal; the pistol rounds maybe even having a shorter range.  

The real benefits of the pistol rounds are the guns are lighter, the recoil is less and the cartridges should be less expensive.  These are all positives, especially for kids and ladies.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Any recommendations on a 44 lever action rifle? I see Henry sells one for just under $800 which is way over my budget. I am kind of set on lever action because that is what I hunted with growing up.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Good luck finding a deal. They are stupid expensive anymore. Marlin, Henry, Winchester all have lever actions. Last I talked to someone at Fin Feather & Fur, people were making a run on their lever actions even before it passed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good luck finding a deal. They are stupid expensive anymore. Marlin, Henry, Winchester all have lever actions. Last I talked to someone at Fin Feather & Fur, people were making a run on their lever actions even before it passed.
View Quote

I was in George's Bait and Tackle in Lorain today.

He has 2 Rugers, SS, 1 in 44 and 1 in 357, $689. He has Rossi lever actions, 45/70 and 45 LC, $529. He has more Rossis on order in various approved calibers.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:51:07 AM EDT
[#23]

I guess I'll be using my 44 mag Ruger Carbine until the 50 Beo is accepted...

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#24]

I posted this in the Outdoors-Hunting forum before seeing the topic here.

Proposed hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.

I emailed the DNR to check if the law was like Indiana and Michigan's that allows a straight walled case 35 caliber or larger up to 1.8 in length.
I was hoping to use my 450 Bushmaster rather than having to go out and buy another rifle.

Below is the response I received from Law Enforcement.

“The law in Ohio is currently caliber specific. If it is not on the list, it cannot be used. No exceptions.”

You can use a 444 Marlin but not the 450 Bush ????          

I hope Ohio comes around and adopts the law like Indiana and Michigan.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I want them to update the cartridge list, but I hope they don't restrict the case length like IN.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well if you really want to use .450 Bushmaster, you could always do a pistol lower with Sig Brace.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well if you really want to use .450 Bushmaster, you could always do a pistol lower with Sig Brace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I'm doing, except in 10mm.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top