View Larger
RELATED ITEMS
Dick’s has outdoors store set for Easton
Outdoors store will set up camp at Easton
Gander aims at rivals with new firearm super center
By  Tim Feran
The Columbus Dispatch Thursday November 21, 2013 1:14 AM
Comments: 0

Central Ohio’s increasingly competitive outdoors retail market will get a homegrown boost next fall when Columbus-based Vance Outdoors opens a store in Obetz, its third location.

“I always felt you’re either moving forward or moving backward,” said Rich Vance, CEO of Vance Outdoors. “This is a family operation, and to continue it we’re not going to rest on the past. This is our way of saying we hope to be here longer.”

Numerous sporting-goods retailers have announced similar plans for central Ohio recently.

In February, Gander Mountain opened its first Firearms Super Center in Ohio — and second in the nation — at its Reynoldsburg store. In March, Cabela’s opened a Polaris-area store, its first in Ohio.

Next year, Dick’s Sporting Goods will open one of its new specialty Field & Stream retail stores and a prototype of its Dick’s Sporting Goods store at Easton Gateway. Outdoor-equipment company REI also is set to open a store at Easton Gateway in May.

“Vance’s is reacting to all the national chains inundating their home turf in the past year or so,” said local retail analyst Chris Boring, principal of Boulevard Strategies. “The industry is going through an amazing growth spurt at the moment.”

Vance looked at various locations — Hilliard, Grove City and West Jefferson, among others — before deciding on Obetz for the 56,000-square-foot store. It has existing stores on Cleveland Avenue and in Hebron.

The new store will sell firearms; equipment for hunting, fishing, boating, camping and automotive use; and outdoors-oriented clothing and footwear.

“We were looking for a freeway-exit location,” Vance said. “We feel that Vance’s, with our reputation and what we sell, if we can get a freeway location, we can pull all of central Ohio.”& amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; lt; /p>

Obetz officials worked with the company this year to find the right location, said E. Rod Davisson, Obetz economic development director. “We wanted to put it in a position where it could prosper, benefit Obetz and be part of a retail corridor. This is our first large-scale retail project.”

The site that Vance’s chose, 4250 Alum Creek Dr., is a vacant 81/2-acre lot directly across the street from the Obetz municipal buildings, near I-270. Vance bought the property for $364,400 in October. Construction will start soon, and the store should open next fall.

The Obetz Village Council last month approved a municipal income-tax credit and other incentives as part of the deal.

One of the store’s features will be a 15,000-square-foot, 24-lane, state-of-the-art indoor firing range.

“That’s one of the ways Vance can hold its own against national competitors,” Boring said.

The indoor range leverages one of the retailer’s strengths as one of the largest firearms dealers in the country, Vance said. “It’s not something we have to build. We already have that business. We put a lot of emphasis on this range to be a real drawing card. We feel it’s going to make a real impact.”

As part of the deal to build the store, Vance will offer firearms training to the Obetz Police Department at no charge.

The development will also include a park that will be completed behind the store shortly after it opens, Davisson said.

Vance’s father, Richard H. Vance, started Vance’s in 1938 as a general store that sold groceries as well as firearms and archery and police equipment as a sideline business. The first Vance Sporting Goods store opened in January 1978.

Vance’s merged with Buckeye Outdoors in 2002.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 2:45:22 AM EDT
[#1]
30min to Hebron 23min to Obetz Now what to store to go get treated poorly at? Hmmmmm

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
30min to Hebron 23min to Obetz Now what to store to go get treated poorly at? Hmmmmm

View Quote

This is funny.

Most of the counter help at the place on Cleveland Ave are straight-up retards.

Good thing I have an "inside" guy and don't have to wait behind the inner city trash.

It's hard to beat their prices, however.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#3]
It sounds like Obetz shook down the Vance family for free range time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd trade free range time for tax breaks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys piss and moan about Vance's... I wish that we had a store with the variety, prices, and staff that Vance's has in the Cincinnati area.

I try to make a trip to Vance's two or three times a year at 100 miles each way. Even with the price of gas and the long wait in line.

I still find that it's worth it with the selection and the fair prices!

Come 100 miles south and see how well you have it!
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#6]
A 56,000-square-foot store must be huge.

That is about 236'x236' square.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a interesting place, another place to drain my money.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You guys piss and moan about Vance's... I wish that we had a store with the variety, prices, and staff that Vance's has in the Cincinnati area.

I try to make a trip to Vance's two or three times a year at 100 miles each way. Even with the price of gas and the long wait in line.

View Quote

For the price of lunch at Chipotle, I can bring down what you want me to pickup for you at Vance's to save on gas.

I'm in Cincinnati every week.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A 56,000-square-foot store must be huge.

That is about 236'x236' square.
View Quote

about 2/3 the size of Cabelas @ Polaris

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This is funny.

Good thing I have an "inside" guy and don't have to wait behind the inner city trash.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is funny.

haha
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 6:56:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

This...

I've never been treated poorly at vances. Sure, the sale's staff didn't know much about X or Y gun I wanted, but they were always polite and easy to hold a conversation with. The prices they had still blow anything here in Youngstown out of the water.  Every time I'm in Columbus I make a point to stop at vances and just look around.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Twenty four shooting lanes.

Sweet !
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sweet !
View Quote

As long as the price isn't as bad as AmHigh.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet !

And the range officers aren't dick heads like the ones at Black Wing.

In fact, everyone at Black Wing are a bunch of dicks.

However, if you become a BW member, you get 10% off the sticker price, which is only 35% higher than the Vance price.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 1:19:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

However, if you become a BW member, you get 10% off the sticker price, which is only 35% higher than the Vance price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet !

Amen..
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 1:25:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

OK you want an example..  just the other day I was over at the Cleveland ave store.. did my take a number thing took about 10 minutes ( not bad for them) I was looking for a flash hider the guy handed me a $125.00 muzzle brake..  I said I need a FS he said
well that will work... I said I did not asked for a brake he told me most people don't know the diff... See where this is going.. ???? Treated poorly... and Im sure Im not the only one..
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet !

Truth!

the place is full of fudds working the counter too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 6:31:01 AM EDT
[#18]

The new Vance Outdoors location is five minutes north of the UPS hub on Rathmell.  The new location will make it easier to ship and receive firearms.  Heck, they could just drive over and drop off a shipment right at the counter.  I could see them ramping up online sales too.

I never had any problems with salesmen in Vance's.  Not once in over 25 years.  You have to understand the salesmen are willing to talk a lot when it's not busy.  If it's busy in there they want to make a quick sale and go on to the next person.  If you want to talk a long time and there's a long line come back some other time.  What is so special about you that a salesman should spend a lot of time with you when there are other customers that want to give them money?  It's nothing personal, it's just the way business is.  This comment isn't directed at anyone in particular, just a general comment to keep in mind.

Today is game day.  Vance's won't be busy.  I guarantee it.

Link Posted: 11/23/2013 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Truth!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet !

Truth!

Blackwing is outrageously priced.  I'm convinced they buy their stock off of Midway, and then charge you for shipping plus add 20%. They do have some interesting Class 3 stuff in the case to look at though.  
Most of the sales guys are douchebags.  I think they're too used to rich shotgunner types, I see a lot of very expensive cars in the parking lot there.  If you're looking for a good fun store in the Delaware area, drive up to Norton Sporting Goods, North of town off of 23.  Family owned and operated.  Either the father, or one of the sons are always there working the counter.  

If i'm going to be purchasing a firearm, I'd rather drive out to Buckeye Outdoors than drive to Vance's.  The ghetto scares me.

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:55:37 AM EDT
[#20]
that big indoor gun range sounds great - all those lanes and i wonder how many times i will get muzzle sweeped by ghetto rats from Whitehall
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
OK you want an example..  just the other day I was over at the Cleveland ave store.. did my take a number thing took about 10 minutes ( not bad for them) I was looking for a flash hider the guy handed me a $125.00 muzzle brake..  I said I need a FS he said

well that will work... I said I did not asked for a brake he told me most people don't know the diff... See where this is going.. ???? Treated poorly... and Im sure Im not the only one..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you get treated so poorly, maybe... You see where this is going?
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know I try and avoid the place, but i needed a FS for my sons rifle so I could finish it for his birthday this week..   I was in the area and know they carry them . thought I would give it a try...  but it was to no avail.. Just felt like I got jerked around... So people start saying we are just bad mouthing them to do it.. not the case... I happen to know Todd V I went  to school with him and he is good guy..  I do want to add that I do go to Buckeye and never had problem out there..  
But what I cant stand there Biker mike! is someone being a smart ass...  So you know where this is going,, right? .. I will leave the rest to your ever so witty mind what I am telling you to do to yourself..  
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm convinced that gun shops in general, are owned by people that turned a hobby into a business.

Some things should just be left as a hobby.

They don't come from small business backgrounds, nor did they go to school for it.

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm convinced that gun shops in general, are owned by people that turned a hobby into a business.

Some things should just be left as a hobby.

They don't come from small business backgrounds, nor did they go to school for it.

View Quote

good point...
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 3:53:35 AM EDT
[#25]
The only problem I have with Vances is the insane lines sometimes...and you certainly cant fault a person for being successful, if I were the owners I would love to see the place packed to the gills and the $$$ rolling in(as long as I could replace the merchandise) as for the staff no real complaints.
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The only problem I have with Vances is the insane lines sometimes...and you certainly cant fault a person for being successful, if I were the owners I would love to see the place packed to the gills and the $$$ rolling in(as long as I could replace the merchandise) as for the staff no real complaints.
View Quote

I just hate the fact that you can't go in and pick-up a simple box of ammo without taking a number and waiting.

Then again, I totally understand it.

On that side of town, anything smaller than a floor safe would "walk out" the front door.
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I was in there at roughly 11 this morning and things were fairly dead, people were not waiting long at all, I was just in there for a couple carrying cases for rifles and a couple PMags since I was already there.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:21:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I try to stop by Vances whenever I'm up that way.  Nothing close to what they have up there down here in Cincinnati as far as inventory/prices.  While I appreciate any decent customer service I can get, unless I'm dealing w/ a smaller LGS I don't go in expecting much; that said I've picked up two firearms through Vance's, both were handled by a very polite and knowledgeable employee.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top