BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 1/24/2013 7:14:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 1:14:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Congressman Bob Latta

Dear Mr. Aeroworks,

Thank youforcontactingme withyoursupport forSecond Amendment rights. Inorder tomakesoundvotingdecisions, I need to hearfrom the constituentsinthe Fifth Congressional District. I appreciate youtakingthe time to contact me withyour thoughts onthis issue, as I know how important it is toyou.

As a lifetime hunter anda competitorat the NationalRifle and Pistol Championship matches at Camp Perry, I fully support ourSecondAmendment right to bear arms. The framework forthe Constitutiongives us the rights that we as Americanshave in this country. Duringmy time inthe OhioGeneralAssembly, I was the House Co-Chairfor the OhioSportsmen's Caucus. Inaddition, as Chairman of the House Criminal Justice Committee, Ifought hardfor the citizens of Ohio inassistingto pass Ohio's Conceal Carry legislation. Here inCongress, I am a Co-Chairmanof the Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus, as wellas being a co-sponsorof numerous pieces of legislation protecting ourSecondAmendment rights.

One of ourFoundingFathers, Thomas Jefferson, once said"Laws that forbidthe carrying of arms...disarm onlythose whoare neither inclinednordetermined tocommit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaultedand betterforthe assailants; they serve rathertoencourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmedmanmay be attacked with greater confidence than anarmedman." Please be assuredthat as I continue torepresent the Fifth Congressional District, I will continue toprotect our SecondAmendment rights.

It is my great honor toserve as yourMember of Congress and it is my number one priorityto represent youandthe best interests ofthe Fifth Congressional District. Please donot hesitate tocall, write, ore-mailme in the future withany of yourconcerns orquestions. Forfederal-related issues, youmay reach my Washington, D.C.office by phone at (202)225-6405, or my District office at (800)541-6446forconstituent services. I encourage you to visit mywebsite at http://latta.house.gov where you can signupfor mye-newsletterand text message updates. The website alsoprovides links to myYouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and Flickrpages, as well as myblog, the Latta Letter, allof which willhelpbringmyworkinWashington, D.C. home toyou.

Sincerely,

Bob Latta Member of Congress
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#2]
From Senator Sherrod Brown:

Dear Mr. medic_man:

Thank you for expressing your views about firearms legislation.

As a United States Senator, I took an oath to defend the Constitution. The Second Amendment makes clear that Americans have the right to own guns, and the Supreme Court over time has given meaning to this right.

When our children and families are no longer safe at our schools, in our malls, and in our movie theaters, then we as a country must take action. The shocking numbers of public shootings throughout the country last year, culminating in Newtown, Connecticut, demands that we engage in a serious national discussion about gun violence, not just in terms of weapons and bullets, but also including mental health access, public safety officers, and our responsibility both as individuals and a society.

Like all rights, it must be balanced against others. I have supported restrictions on the possession of assault-style weapons so our public safety officers are not put at increased risk, and restrictions on the ability of criminals to possess handguns but I fully support the right of Ohioans to own firearms.

Should the Senate consider this issue in the future, I will support common-sense reforms that protect both public safety and the rights of gun owners.  Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
                         United States Senator

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#3]
From Senator Rob Portman

Dear medic_man,

Thank you for contacting me about our Second Amendment rights.  It is good to hear from you.

I am a gun owner who believes in the right to bear arms in defense of self, family and property.  During my 12 years serving in Congress, I received an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association for defending our Constitutional Rights.  I opposed the so-called "assault weapons ban" and opposed the Brady Bill.  I supported repealing both the Clinton gun ban and the Washington, D.C. gun ban.  I voted to protect the private information of gun owners; to protect state gun laws; and to protect firearm and ammunition manufacturers, dealers or importers from lawsuits and damages related to criminal misuse by a third party. 

As a life-long hunter, I also believe the rights and freedoms of hunters must be guarded and I developed an executive order that the president signed to enhance hunting and fishing opportunities at wildlife refuges and national preserves.  As your Senator, I will continue to protect our Constitutional freedoms and will be a strong advocate for preserving these rights and traditions for future generations.

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office.  For more information, I encourage you to visit my website at www.portman.senate.gov.  Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,
Rob Portman
U.S. Senator

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 7:02:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Faded-Brakes] [#4]

January 25, 2013

Dear Mr. drachek1:

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts on the Second Amendment.  My thoughts and prayers remain with the families of those killed in the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

In the shadow of this tragedy, some in Washington have called for placing more restrictions on law-abiding gun owners.  I believe that is the wrong approach.  As much as we want to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, the tragedies in Newtown and elsewhere show that criminals have no regard for gun control laws and will always find ways to acquire and use weapons.  Further, cities like Washington and Chicago, which have enacted some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation, have very high levels of gun crime.  We must never mistake gun control for crime control.

The private ownership of firearms is a basic right guaranteed by the Second Amendment.  The amendment's explicit language conveys the wisdom of the Founding Fathers that liberty must not be subverted.  While we all support keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, terrorists, and the mentally ill, we must not infringe on the rights of law-abiding citizens.  Members of Congress and everyone in public office must keep the Constitution foremost in our minds when forming public policy on crime control and every other issue.

I hope you find this information helpful.  For more information on current issues, you can follow me on Facebook and Twitter.  Please feel free to contact my office anytime at 202-225-2676 or online at jordan.house.gov with any other questions or concerns you may have.

Sincerely,
Jim Jordan
Member of Congress

Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Sen Rob Portman

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for contacting me to express your views about the President's gun control proposals.  It is good to hear from you.

As you know, President Obama recently issued 23 executive actions and endorsed gun control legislative initiatives following the terrible tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

I had hoped President Obama would look to address the root causes of senseless acts of violence and work with Congress to develop a comprehensive plan to lessen the likelihood of these kinds of tragic incidents in the future.  Unfortunately, the President has chosen to act unilaterally wherever he can and focus on new gun bans which I believe would undermine the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens.

In response to tragic attacks like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary, I remain committed to ensuring that those who suffer from mental illness, a common thread in these instances, receive proper care, that current gun laws are enforced, and that school safety is enhanced as we address the deeper issue of violence in our society.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact my office.  For more information, please visit my website at www.portman.senate.gov.  Please keep in touch. EMAIL.BEGINHIDE.MERGE

Sincerely,
A
Rob Portman
U.S. Senator

Sincerely,
Rob Portman
U.S. Senator

Link Posted: 1/28/2013 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Dear Mr. drachek1

Thank you for expressing your concerns over gun control and access to mental health care.

When our children and families are no longer safe at our schools, in our malls, and in our movie theaters, we as a country must take action. The shocking numbers of public shootings throughout the country last year, culminating in Newtown, Connecticut, demand that we engage in a serious national discussion.  

Many people have expressed concerns about holes in our mental health care system that contributes to violence. Though people with mental illness are not at an increased risk of behaving violently in general, there is a subset of individuals with mental illness who are at risk of violent behavior of the kinds we have seen in public gathering places.

Over the last few years, Congress has passed laws to improve the mental health system so individuals in need of psychiatric evaluation, treatment, and support do not fall through the cracks. Several components of these laws have yet to be fully implemented.

In a bipartisan effort to ensure that mental and behavioral health services are covered by insurance in a manner equivalent to medical and surgical services. Congress passed the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act in 2008  This law prohibits insurance companies from  arbitrarily limiting the number of hospital days or outpatient treatment sessions a patient is granted, as well as prohibiting higher copayments or deductibles for subscribers who seek psychological services. Such practices by insurance companies were both wrong and counterproductive.  This legislation will help the 54 million Americans with mental illness gain access to appropriate and affordable treatment. My Senate colleagues and I have been working with the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to ensure this law is fully implemented.  Additionally, I and several of my colleagues sent a letter to President Obama asking him and HHS to fully implement the law.  

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) is also working to improve access to mental and behavioral health services.  Individuals in Ohio who have been denied insurance coverage due to a pre-existing mental health condition can now access the new Ohio High-Risk Insurance pool.  For more information on the high risk pool or to sign-up for coverage, please visit http://www.insurance.ohio.gov/Documents/07-22-10HighRiskPoolFAQs.pdf

The ACA immediately eliminated pre-existing coverage exclusions for children.  Kids will no longer be denied coverage — or have services excluded from coverage — as a result of pre-existing conditions.  Additionally, parents of young adults can now maintain coverage for their children until age 26. Serious mental illness is often first noticed in the late teens or early twenties, when the brain is changing rapidly and when pressures to perform are great.  It is crucial that young adults with existing or emerging mental illnesses not experience lapses in coverage at this time of high risk.

Beginning in 2014, insurance companies can no longer deny coverage to individuals with mental illness and insurers cannot use mental illness as a reason to raise premiums. HHS also established an essential benefits package — a set of health care service categories that must be covered by most plans — that will take effect in 2014. Mental health and substance abuse disorder services will be part of this package.  

The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act and the ACA represent tremendous strides forward for mental health coverage and access. However, we must also re-examine our mental health safety net, which has faced unrelenting budget cuts, reducing access for some our most vulnerable citizens.

Finally, we must work to reduce the stigma attached to mental health treatment, and find ways to support families who are concerned about the mental health status of their loved ones. It is essential that families know about the mental health resources available to them, and that they understand they have allies and other resources to which they can turn.  Education about signs of mental illness, how to obtain a mental health screening, and how to access treatment services are simple but key ingredients to a successful national plan for managing mental health crises.

Gun violence is a complex issue and we must work together to uphold our Constitution while at the same time ensuring that our communities are safe. We can and must act to make such tragedies less likely in the future. Should any legislation concerning gun control and access to mental and behavioral health care come before the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind. Thank you again for contacting me.  

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
                        United States Senator

Stay connected with what's happening in Congress.  Sign up here for regular updates on the issues you care about the most: http://brown.senate.gov/newsletter/landing

I don't trust this guy
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got a similar brown letter sounds like he is a pro ban

Dear Mr. G:

Thank you for expressing your views about firearms legislation.

As a United States Senator, I took an oath to defend the Constitution. The Second Amendment makes clear that Americans have the right to own guns, and the Supreme Court over time has given meaning to this right.

When our children and families are no longer safe at our schools, in our malls, and in our movie theaters, then we as a country must take action. The shocking numbers of public shootings throughout the country last year, culminating in Newtown, Connecticut, demands that we engage in a serious national discussion about gun violence, not just in terms of weapons and bullets, but also including mental health access, public safety officers, and our responsibility both as individuals and a society.

Like all rights, it must be balanced against others. I have supported restrictions on the possession of assault-style weapons so our public safety officers are not put at increased risk, and restrictions on the ability of criminals to possess handguns but I fully support the right of Ohioans to own firearms.

Should the Senate consider this issue in the future, I will support common-sense reforms that protect both public safety and the rights of gun owners.  Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Dear Mr. ske714,
Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding congressional action on gun control in response to the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary. Your views are important to me as I work to effectively represent you in Congress.

The tragedy in Connecticut is heartbreaking, and I cannot imagine being a parent in that situation. I was shocked and incredibly saddened by such a random act of violence against the most innocent victims imaginable – our nation's children. My heartfelt condolences and prayers go out to everyone affected. I agree that we must have a serious discussion on what we can do to prevent mass-casualty shootings in the future.

As a sportsman, gun owner, and active member of the U.S. Army Reserve, I approach this subject with a deep respect for firearms and the Second Amendment. Millions of Americans safely and routinely own and use firearms for hunting, hobby, and self-protection. This includes many residents of southern and southwestern Ohio, and many of our friends and neighbors.

I have serious concerns that additional regulations adopted in response to this tragedy would not only limit the rights of law-abiding Americans, but would also not solve the problem of gun violence in our nation. As we explore potential policy solutions, we must not forget nor minimize the Second Amendment, which states, "...the right to bear arms shall not be infringed."

On January 16, President Obama announced an aggressive gun control agenda, including reinstating and strengthening the assault weapons ban, restoring the 10-round limit on ammunition magazines, and issuing more than 20 executive orders. Realistically, I do not believe that any of these proposals would stop individuals who are determined to end the lives of their fellow citizens.

Additionally, I do not believe the actions of a few disturbed individuals should drive us to infringe on the liberty of all Americans. However, there are legislative steps we can take to make mass-casualty shootings even rarer, including examining how we identify, diagnose, and treat mental illness. I believe that these efforts, especially in regard to gun ownership, will have a more positive and dramatic effect and will lead to increased safety for all Americans. I will be certain to keep your thoughts in mind as the 113thCongress explores these options.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me on this issue. I invite you to visit my website, http://www.wenstrup.house.gov, where you can email me your thoughts or concerns on this or any other issue important to you, and sign up for my email updates.

Sincerely,

Brad Wenstrup
U.S. Representative

Link Posted: 1/29/2013 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I am going to give money to whatever candidate runs against Joyce or Brown...
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Dear drachek1:

Like all Americans, I was horrified as the tragedies of Friday, December 14th unfolded in Newtown, Connecticut.  The deplorable act of violence that took the lives of innocent children and adults is beyond reason, and I pray that, in time, the families of the victims and the people of that community are able to find peace.

As you no doubt recall, we were all reminded of the evil that exists in our world when six students were shot, three fatally, at Chardon High School in Geauga County on February 27th, 2012.  In the aftermath, the heroic stories of the first responders, teachers and staff who acted swiftly and selflessly to protect others showed true courage.

Since that tragic event, and in the wake of the recent tragedy in Newtown, the absolute necessity for school officials, parents, students and first responders to be trained and practiced in responding to these unthinkable crimes is of utmost importance.  Various state and local agencies, including the Ohio Office of Homeland Security and the Ohio Department of Education, have worked collaboratively to implement, review and drill response plans.  Moreover, these occasions of violence and heartache should give us all pause to think about how we treat each other, and the value we as a society place upon every life.

With regard to calls for legislation in response to these events, it is my belief that we will be best served by enforcing those laws that currently exist. And, in the weeks and months that follow, we should learn as much as possible about how this happened, and what steps we can take, including mental health awareness and school safety protocols, to guard against the senseless loss of innocent life ever again.

I appreciate your taking the time to write. Please join me and my family in continuing to keep the communities of Chardon and Newtown, and all innocent victims of violence, in our prayers. Thank you.

From Gov. Kasich
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#11]
i got same responses from brown.  how did someone so liberal win in ohio...he rode in with obama with all the voters in cleveland, columbus and athens...sad sad.  ohio needs to wake up next election...
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 4:05:10 AM EDT
[#12]
What I sent Her:

Ma'am,

I am writing you to encourage and implore you to support S.B. 36. As an Afghan Campaign Veteran and an avid 2nd Ammendment Supporter, I feel that this would be the best way to protect law abiding citizens and their rights. New restrictive legislation or legislation that strips away firearms or owners rights will accomplish nothing for the safety of Ohioans.

I thank you for your service to our state and for your support.

Respectfully,

Clot11

Her Response

Dear Clot11,

Thank you for contacting my office and expressing your concern on the current gun control legislation. I always appreciate hearing about issues from my constituents.

I would like to reinforce that I am pro-Second Amendment, and pro-gun ownership. I obtain my Concealed Carry License, and I believe that the citizens of the United States have the right to express this Amendment freely without any new imposed restrictions. The problem does not fall within owning firearms, but within the mental capabilities of the owner. I believe that mental health care is extremely important and needs to be strengthened and improved. I will take your concerns into consideration.

I appreciate hearing your concern about the issue of gun control and its implementation into the state. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact my office either my e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at (614) 466-9690. Again, thank you for bringing this issue to my attention and I look forward to exploring this problem.

Sincerely,

Representative Cheryl L. Grossman
Majority Whip
23rd House District
Ohio House of Representatives
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 5:50:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colsrob] [#13]
Crap, I did not see this. Would Mr. Mod be so kind as to move my thread into this one.
Sorry about the oversight.

Link Posted: 6/4/2013 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I wrote Gov Kasich a while ago about pursuing some of the companies like Magpul and Beretta that were looking to relocate from their ban states.  I finally received this response today.  

Thank you for contact ing my office regarding  Ohio's opportunity to attract business to our state . I appreciate you taking the time to write.

Since entering office in 2011, my administration has  worked diligently to create a jobs friendly climate , lowering taxes and eliminating regulatory barriers that keep job creators from investing, expanding and hiring new workers.   Though still in its infancy ,   JobsOhio has been  a success . I n the first quarter of 2013, JobsOhio and its economi c development partners yielded  commitments from 65 companies to create or retain a total of 17,375 jobs and to invest $1.1 billion of new capital in the state   in a wide range of industries.

I've also proudly defended the second amendment right s of law abiding Ohioans. In the past two years the legislature passed and I signed HB 495 and SB 17; both of which  reaffirm the  2 nd amendment  rights of gun owners while simplifying Ohio Revised Code.

Recently I was proud to attend the grand opening of the first Cabela's sporting goods store  in Ohio .  This represents the success we have had in creating a friendly economic climate while also standing firm for second amendment rights. I believe the combination of these two factors makes Ohio an ideal location for any industry to settle, including gun manufacturers. I'm confident JobsOhio is working every day on these and other opportunities to make Ohio's economy strong again.

Again, thank you for writing and do not hesitate to call if you have any questions.  

Sincerely,

John  R.  Kasich
Governor
J R K /ek
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Mr. Parks,

Thank you for contacting my office concerning House Bill 231. This bill was introduced by Representative Ron Maag. I had interest in proposing a similar piece of legislation but upon having a meeting with Representative Maag and realizing that we had similar aims, I decided there was no need for me to introduce my own bill. I am an ardent supporter of the Second Amendment of the US Constitution.

Thank you for contacting my office and please feel free to contact me in the future regarding this or any other state matter.

Sincerely,

Bill Hayes
State Representative
72nd District

BH/sts
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Dear Douglas:

Thank you for taking the time to write.  I have heard from many Americans regarding firearms policy and gun violence in our Nation, and I appreciate your perspective.  From Aurora to Newtown to the streets of Chicago, we have seen the devastating effects gun violence has on our American family.  I join countless others in grieving for all those whose lives have been taken too soon by gun violence.

Like the majority of Americans, I believe the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms.  In this country, we have a strong tradition of gun ownership that has been handed down from generation to generation.  Hunting and sport shooting are part of our national heritage.  Yet, even as we acknowledge that almost all gun owners in America are responsible, when we look at the devastation caused by gun violence—whether in high-profile tragedies or the daily heartbreak that plagues our cities—we must ask ourselves whether we are doing enough.

While reducing gun violence is a complicated challenge, protecting our children from harm should not be a divisive one.  Most gun owners agree that we can respect the Second Amendment while keeping an irresponsible, law-breaking few from inflicting harm on a massive scale.  Most also agree that if we took commonsense steps to curtail gun violence, there would be fewer atrocities like the one that occurred in Newtown.  We will not be able to stop every violent act, but if there is even one thing we can do to reduce gun violence—if even one life can be saved—then we have an obligation to try.

That is why I asked Vice President Joe Biden to identify concrete steps we can take to keep our children safe, help prevent mass shootings, and reduce the broader epidemic of gun violence in this country.  He met with over 200 groups representing a broad cross-section of Americans and heard their best ideas.  I have put forward a specific set of proposals based off of his efforts, and in the days ahead, I intend to use whatever weight this office holds to make them a reality.

My plan gives law enforcement, schools, mental health professionals, and the public health community some of the tools they need to help reduce gun violence.  These tools include strengthening the background check system, helping schools hire more resource officers and counselors and develop emergency preparedness plans, and ensuring mental health professionals know their options for reporting threats of violence.  And I directed the Centers for Disease Control to study the best ways to reduce gun violence—because it is critical that we understand the science behind this public health crisis.  From improving mental health services to looking more closely at a culture that too often glorifies violence, we must leave no stone unturned when working to keep Americans safe.

As important as these steps are, they are not a substitute for action from Congress.  To make a real and lasting difference, members of Congress must also act.  As part of my comprehensive plan, I have called on them to pass some specific proposals right away.  First, it is time to require a universal background check for anyone trying to buy a gun.  Second, Congress should renew the 10-round limit on magazines and reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban.  We should get tougher on those who buy guns with the purpose of selling them to criminals, and we should impose serious punishments on anyone who helps them do this.

These are reasonable, commonsense measures that have the support of the majority of the American people.  But change will not come unless the American people demand it from their lawmakers.  Now is the time to do the right thing for our children, our communities, and the country we love.  We owe the victims of heartbreaking national tragedies and the countless unheralded tragedies each year nothing less than our best effort—to seek consensus in order to save lives and ensure a brighter future for our children.

Thank you, again, for writing.  I encourage you to visitwww.WhiteHouse.gov/NowIsTheTime to learn more about my Administration’s approach.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

Link Posted: 8/2/2013 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Random from Rob Portman

Dear Adam,

Given your previous support of sportsmen's issues and the 2nd Amendment, I wanted to make sure you were aware of my most recent efforts in the U.S. Senate. Last week I became a cosponsor of bipartisan legislation, S. 1335, the Sportsmen's Act, to ensure hunting and fishing on our nation's public lands is respected and maintained.

As an avid hunter and angler, I share your love of the outdoors.  Protecting and preserving our environment and working to represent our state's sportsmen are priorities for me.  While Director of the Office of Management and Budget, I worked to improve the relationship between the government and sportsmen by creating a 10-year plan to improve the balance between the management of wildlife and access for recreation.  These efforts included programs designed to remove obsolete dams, which would help fish passage and improve fishing opportunities across the nation.

The Sportsmen's Act packages together multiple proposals that are important to Ohio sportsmen.  For example, the bill includes protection of the public's right to engage in recreational hunting, fishing and shooting on federal land. It would reduce environmental restrictions on the use of ammunition and fishing tackle, leaving decisions about tackle to state fish and game agencies and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. It would allow bows to be transported across national park lands because currently, firearms can be legally transported, but not bows. It uses existing revenues to help provide for increased access to public lands for hunting, fishing, and other recreational purposes.  It would allow for the re-importation of polar bears that were legally harvested from approved populations in Canada before the 2008 ban.  Additionally, it would reauthorize the North American Wetlands Conservation Act (NAWCA) for another five years.  NAWCA is a voluntary land-owner friendly initiative that uses incentives to provide valuable matching grants that leverage federal dollars to protect habitat that is critically important for birds.

Access to public lands is the number one issue for America's sportsmen and women.  Loss of access is the primary reason people stop hunting and fishing.  In 2003, a Department of the Interior report to Congress found that 35 million acres of public land had inadequate access for sportsmen and women.

Many Ohioans enjoy hunting and fishing, and I am glad to support this common-sense bill that addresses important issues identified by the sportsmen community while opening more federal land for hunters and anglers in Ohio and around the country to enjoy.

A full list of measures included in the bill is available on the U.S. Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee's website, which can be accessed at http://www.energy.senate.gov. For more information, I encourage you to visit my website at www.portman.senate.gov.  Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,
Rob Portman
U.S. Senator

Link Posted: 8/2/2013 11:22:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4DAIVIPAI2K5] [#18]
Wrote Tim about up coming bills.

Dear Adam,

Thank you for writing regarding the Constitutional right to bear arms. I appreciate you taking the time to voice your concerns.

Since taking office, I have consistently received an A rating from the National Rifle Association. I have enjoyed being endorsed by Buckeye Firearms and am also a co-sponsor of Senate Bill 36. To that end, I will always keep a watchful eye out for any legislation that seeks to curtail the rights of any law abiding citizen to own a firearm for protection. I will continue my efforts to protect the second amendment rights of my constituents and the people of the state of Ohio.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact my office. Please do not hesitate to write again about this or any other issue regarding your federal government.

Sincerely,

Tim Schaffer
State Senator
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Dear Adam,

Thank you for your email regarding Senate Bill 182, legislation concerning drug testing in the Ohio Works First (OWF) program. It is good to hear from you and I appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

My goal is to protect vulnerable children of drug users, ensure proper use of taxpayer dollars, and offer treatment to drug users to prepare them to enter the workforce. I believe Senate Bill 182 accomplishes that goal. As you may know, Senate Bill 182 seeks to establish a three-county pilot program in which a screening will be part of the application process for OWF. If the screening indicates that there is probable cause to suspect illegal drug use, applicants will be asked to take a drug test. Should applicants fail the test, they will be offered treatment and their children or dependents will still be eligible to receive monetary support through a protective payee while the parent is undergoing treatment. Senate Bill 182 is currently under consideration in the Senate.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Please do not hesitate to write again about this or any other issue regarding your state government.

Sincerely,

Tim Schaffer
State Senator
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#20]
is regards to HB 234

Mr. Parks,

Representative Hayes is an avid supporter of the Second Amendment and will support the rights of hunters in his district. Thank you for contacting his office. I will pass along your concerns.

Thanks,

Sam Smith
Legislative Aide
State Representative Bill Hayes
Ohio's 72nd House District
Office: (614)466-2500
Cell: (937)244-2026
[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Mr. _____,

Thank you for your kind letter and supportive words. HB 191 is currently in the Transportation Committee and has had one hearing back in June of last year. We hope to see it move as well, but are unsure of what will happen from here right now. It's not up for another hearing right now, but we can let you know when there is another hearing.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

John Becker
State Representative
77 South High Street, 12th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215
614-466-8134
[email protected]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#22]
My email to Gayle Manning:

I am writing you to encourage you to lend your support to HB234. This bill will allow suppressors to be legally used for hunting. I hunt ground hogs and coyotes a lot around friend's farms. The loud crack of a 223 is disruptive to the cattle and to the neighbors. A suppressor knocks the db's from 160 down to 130. It makes a 223 sound like a 22 lr. It makes for much more enjoyable hunting for everyone.

Please support HB234.

Thank you
View Quote

Her response:

Dear Mr. Ironmaker,

Thank you for contacting me on House Bill 234. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me about this piece of legislation.  

The information you have provided me is very helpful and interesting regarding the disruptive sounds a 223 can make. You certainly know what you're talking about. Currently HB 234 is in the Senate Civil Justice Committee, which I do not serve on. I will be sure to keep my eyes on this legislation while it is in committee and will keep your thoughts in mind when it comes before me for a vote on the Senate floor.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact my office if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Gayle Manning
State Senator
13th Senate District
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BuckeyeDougy:

Dear Douglas:

View Quote

Thank you for taking the time to write.  I have heard from many Americans regarding firearms policy and gun violence in our Nation, and I appreciate your perspective.  From Aurora to Newtown to the streets of Chicago, we have seen the devastating effects gun violence has on our American family.  I join countless others in grieving for all those whose lives have been taken too soon by gun violence.

Like the majority of Americans, I believe the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms.  In this country, we have a strong tradition of gun ownership that has been handed down from generation to generation.  Hunting and sport shooting are part of our national heritage.  Yet, even as we acknowledge that almost all gun owners in America are responsible, when we look at the devastation caused by gun violence—whether in high-profile tragedies or the daily heartbreak that plagues our cities—we must ask ourselves whether we are doing enough.

While reducing gun violence is a complicated challenge, protecting our children from harm should not be a divisive one.  Most gun owners agree that we can respect the Second Amendment while keeping an irresponsible, law-breaking few from inflicting harm on a massive scale.  Most also agree that if we took commonsense steps to curtail gun violence, there would be fewer atrocities like the one that occurred in Newtown.  We will not be able to stop every violent act, but if there is even one thing we can do to reduce gun violence—if even one life can be saved—then we have an obligation to try.

That is why I asked Vice President Joe Biden to identify concrete steps we can take to keep our children safe, help prevent mass shootings, and reduce the broader epidemic of gun violence in this country.  He met with over 200 groups representing a broad cross-section of Americans and heard their best ideas.  I have put forward a specific set of proposals based off of his efforts, and in the days ahead, I intend to use whatever weight this office holds to make them a reality.

My plan gives law enforcement, schools, mental health professionals, and the public health community some of the tools they need to help reduce gun violence.  These tools include strengthening the background check system, helping schools hire more resource officers and counselors and develop emergency preparedness plans, and ensuring mental health professionals know their options for reporting threats of violence.  And I directed the Centers for Disease Control to study the best ways to reduce gun violence—because it is critical that we understand the science behind this public health crisis.  From improving mental health services to looking more closely at a culture that too often glorifies violence, we must leave no stone unturned when working to keep Americans safe.

As important as these steps are, they are not a substitute for action from Congress.  To make a real and lasting difference, members of Congress must also act.  As part of my comprehensive plan, I have called on them to pass some specific proposals right away.  First, it is time to require a universal background check for anyone trying to buy a gun.  Second, Congress should renew the 10-round limit on magazines and reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban.  We should get tougher on those who buy guns with the purpose of selling them to criminals, and we should impose serious punishments on anyone who helps them do this.

These are reasonable, commonsense measures that have the support of the majority of the American people.  But change will not come unless the American people demand it from their lawmakers.  Now is the time to do the right thing for our children, our communities, and the country we love.  We owe the victims of heartbreaking national tragedies and the countless unheralded tragedies each year nothing less than our best effort—to seek consensus in order to save lives and ensure a brighter future for our children.

Thank you, again, for writing.  I encourage you to visitwww.WhiteHouse.gov/NowIsTheTime to learn more about my Administration’s approach.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

CRIMINAL violence, not GUN, knife, fist, club violence.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Dear Mr. DaveyDug,  

Thank you for contacting my office regarding your support of gun rights bills, specifically House Bill 191, which would remove from the definition of “automatic firearm” in the Weapons Control Law a provision that includes in that definition any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than 31 cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm that chambers only .22 cartridges. I understand and appreciate your views related to this issue.  

H.B. 191 was introduced by Rep. John Becker and is currently under consideration by the House Transportation, Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee. As I am not a member of this committee, I have not had the opportunity to fully understand all of the bill’s implications. However, as the legislative process unfolds, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.  

In general, as a State Representative who has received an “A” rating from the Buckeye Firearms Association (http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-house-2014), I believe my record is clear on this issue as I am known to always look for opportunities to support our state and federal constitutions.  

Thank you again for contacting my office. I always appreciate the opportunity to better understand the views and concerns of my constituents. Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future if there is ever anything I can do to help you.  

Best regards,
John Patterson
State Representative
House District 99
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Dear Douglas,

As a strong supporter of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, I wanted to update you on the work I have been doing in the United States Senate.

Recently, I sent a letter with my colleague Senator Chuck Grassley expressing concern over a proposal by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), that would have severely limited access to rifle ammunition primarily used for sporting purposes. This class of ammunition is protected from prohibition under a 1986 Law Enforcement Officer Protection Act exemption. The framework proposed by ATF would have set arbitrary guidelines for determining whether certain ammunition meets the 1986 law's "sporting purposes" exemption. As a result, access to rifle ammunition long considered to be primarily used for activities such as target shooting and hunting could have been limited.

In the letter to ATF Director Todd Jones, we charge that the new framework defies the intent of Congress when it passed the 1986 law. We also questioned ATF's authority to establish such a framework and expressed concern for its impact on Second Amendment rights guaranteed in the Constitution.

Full text of the letter can be found below.

Second Amendment rights require not only access to firearms but to bullets. If law-abiding gun owners cannot obtain rifle ammunition, or face substantial difficulty in finding ammunition available and at reasonable prices because government entities are banning such ammunition, then the Second Amendment is at risk.

On March 10, 2015, I was pleased that the ATF announced that it would not be issuing a final framework at this time. While I was pleased with this decision, I will continue to monitor this situation should the ATF release additional proposals that could threaten the Second Amendment rights of law abiding citizens.

As a life-long hunter, I believe the rights and freedoms of hunters must be guarded. As your Senator, I will continue to protect our Constitutional freedoms and will be a strong advocate for preserving these rights and traditions for future generations.

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office. For more information, I encourage you to visit my website atwww.portman.senate.gov. Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Rob Portman

U.S. Senator

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#26]
"Dear Friend:

Thank you for getting in touch with me regarding a recently proposed framework from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) concerning armor-piercing ammunition.

BATFE, working in conjunction with the Department of Justice (DOJ), proposed a framework to enforce current law regarding ammunition. Gun and ammunition laws were amended in 1986 through the Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act, which prohibited of the manufacture, import, and distribution of armor-piercing ammunition that may be used in a handgun. This law was passed with the purpose of protecting law enforcement officers. The law has an exception for ammunition that is primarily intended for sporting purposes. On February 13, 2015, BATFE published a framework outlining how they will determine whether certain ammunition or projectiles are primarily for sporting purposes.

Some Ohioans have expressed concerns that the recent BATFE framework would limit access to popular ammunition used for AR-15 rifles. The February 2015 proposed framework would treat certain types of 5.56-by-45-millimeter ammunition as armor-piercing ammunition. This ammunition, which was once used exclusively for rifles, can now be used in pistols and handguns. These types of bullets, if used in a pistol or handgun, could put law enforcement that rely on body armor in serious danger and led the BATFE to determine that the ammunition is no longer intended for sporting purposes and no longer exempt from the current law. This notice was provided for public comment until March 16, 2016. Comment may be made by emailing [email protected].

It is imperative that we take steps ensure the safety of our law enforcement officers. The shocking numbers of public shootings throughout the country in recent years, demands that we engage in a serious national discussion about gun violence, not just in terms of weapons and bullets, but also including mental health access, public safety officers, and our responsibility both as individuals and a society.

Should any legislation concerning ammunition come before the Senate for a vote, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Thank you again for getting in touch with me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
                                                           United States Senator"
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:31:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Reply from Senator Sherrod Brown (2)
Sherrod Brown
To
me
Mar 18 at 7:36 PM

Dear <<Salutation>>:

Thank you for getting in touch with me regarding a recently proposed framework from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) concerning armor-piercing ammunition.

BATFE, working in conjunction with the Department of Justice (DOJ), proposed a framework to enforce current law regarding ammunition. Gun and ammunition laws were amended in 1986 through the Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act, which prohibited of the manufacture, import, and distribution of armor-piercing ammunition that may be used in a handgun. This law was passed with the purpose of protecting law enforcement officers. The law has an exception for ammunition that is primarily intended for sporting purposes. On February 13, 2015, BATFE published a framework outlining how they will determine whether certain ammunition or projectiles are primarily for sporting purposes.

Some Ohioans have expressed concerns that the recent BATFE framework would limit access to popular ammunition used for AR-15 rifles. The February 2015 proposed framework would treat certain types of 5.56-by-45-millimeter ammunition as armor-piercing ammunition. This ammunition, which was once used exclusively for rifles, can now be used in pistols and handguns. These types of bullets, if used in a pistol or handgun, could put law enforcement that rely on body armor in serious danger and led the BATFE to determine that the ammunition is no longer intended for sporting purposes and no longer exempt from the current law. This notice was provided for public comment until March 16, 2016. Comment may be made by emailing [email protected].

It is imperative that we take steps ensure the safety of our law enforcement officers. The shocking numbers of public shootings throughout the country in recent years, demands that we engage in a serious national discussion about gun violence, not just in terms of weapons and bullets, but also including mental health access, public safety officers, and our responsibility both as individuals and a society.

Should any legislation concerning ammunition come before the Senate for a vote, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Thank you again for getting in touch with me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown

United States Senator

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:55:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Dear Mr. --------------------

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts about the tragic shooting at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, on June 12, 2016. I send my deepest sympathies to the families, friends, and communities of the victims and survivors whose lives have been forever impacted by this unspeakable act of terror. This shooting, where a gunman robbed 49 people of their lives, and injured 53 others, was fueled by hatred that has no place in America.

This shooting in a gay club, a community space for LGBTQ individuals, has deeply impacted LGBTQ communities in Orlando, across the country, and around the world. We must stand in solidarity with the LGBTQ community, and we must confront ISIS and protect Americans from terrorist threats.

But we cannot truly say we are doing what it takes to keep Americans safe from homegrown terrorism unless we are finally willing to pass commonsense laws to keep weapons of war out of the hands of terrorists and violent criminals. It’s a simple fact that the vast majority of those killed by terrorist attacks on American soil – more than 75 percent – are killed by people using guns.

And it’s not only the 49 lives lost in Orlando we have to answer for – it’s the many people who have been killed by guns just in the days since the massacre. It’s the more than 1,000 Americans who have died in mass shootings since Sandy Hook. It’s the thousands and thousands of sons and daughters, moms and dads, brothers and sisters, who have been killed by guns on the streets of communities across the country.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, more than 11,000 Americans were murdered by firearms, and more than 33,000 Americans died due to injuries from firearms in 2013. It’s past time to act.

That is why I joined my colleague, Senator Chris Murphy, during his nearly fifteen-hour filibuster to demand votes on important legislation to prevent suspected terrorists from buying guns, and to close loopholes that allow criminals and potential terrorists to avoid background checks.

If people are placed on the “No Fly List” because the FBI believes they are too dangerous to fly on an airplane, then they are too dangerous to buy an assault-style weapon. I voted in favor of an amendment that would have prevented individuals whom the government believes either have been, or will be, engaged in terrorist activity from buying guns. I also voted in favor of a bill requiring that every person purchasing a firearm, including purchases made online or at gun shows, undergo the same background check that many law-abiding gun owners go through at gun stores every day. I am disappointed that both of these commonsense gun safety measures failed to pass the Senate.

I have always respected the rights of hunters, collectors, and other law-abiding gun owners, and no one has the intention or plan to take away any of their guns. But when one man can slaughter 49 innocent people, as we saw in Orlando, it’s clear something has to be done to protect Americans from gun violence.

Despite the prevalence of gun related deaths in our country, there is a dearth of research on the causes of gun violence. Due to the frequency of gun injuries and deaths, the CDC, in 1992, created the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, which focused on research related to gun violence and other forms of injury. However, in 1996, under pressure from the gun lobby, Congress acted to prevent federal funds from going to the CDC to study gun violence. In 2011, the provisions designed to limit research on gun violence were extended to also restrict research conducted by the NIH. I have opposed including this ban in future legislation and have advocated for federally funding gun-violence-prevention research.

While these commonsense measures would not have prevented every shooting, they would be important steps forward toward making Americans safer. I will continue to support commonsense gun safety laws like universal background checks, efforts to close background check loopholes, and legislation to keep suspected terrorists from purchasing firearms. Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown

United States Senator
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Brown and his colleagues keep using the term "common sense" but are too stupid to realize there is no "common sense" way to restrict gun ownership to convicted criminals or terrorists that does not also restrict or encroach on the rights of law abiding citizens of The United States of America (-The Republic of Kalifornia)
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Dear Mr. and Mrs. 02Tbird

Thank you for contacting Senator Huffman’s office regarding Senate Bill 113, which would levy an additional registration tax on passenger cars, noncommercial motor vehicles, and commercial cars and trucks beginning on January 1, 2020; authorize a per-gallon motor fuel retail price reduction for consumers that is equal to the state per-gallon motor fuel tax of $.28; and exempt each gallon of motor fuel that is sold at the reduced retail price from the state motor fuel tax. Senator Huffman appreciates you taking the time to share your views with him.

S.B. 113 was introduced on March 21, 2017, by Senator Bill Coley (R-Liberty Township). Currently, the bill has not been assigned to a committee for further consideration. Should this legislation come before the full Senate for a vote, Senator Huffman will be sure to keep your opinions in mind.

Once again, thank you for contacting Senator Huffman’s office. If you have additional questions on this or any other state related issue, please feel free to contact Senator Huffman, as his door is always open.

Sincerely,

Ian Dollenmayer, Senior Legislative Aide

Senator Matt Huffman – 12th District

(614) 466-7584
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Wrote Senator Portman and my Rep on Saturday, got this e-mailed response today from Portman.  Still waiting to hear back from Renacci.

Dear Cruffler,

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding gun violence.  I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

I continue to support efforts to genuinely reduce crime and make our society safer for all citizens. This Congress, I have co-sponsored legislation entitled the Fix NICS Act (S.2135), which I believe is commonsense, bipartisan legislation that can make a difference right away to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous individuals.

This legislation will push state, local, and government entities to follow federal law and step up their reporting of information to the FBI that would disqualify individuals from passing a national instant criminal background check.

The tragedy in Sutherland Springs, Texas is an example of this problem, in which the Air Force never reported the proper information that the perpetrator was dishonorably discharged, a convicted violent criminal, and mentally ill.  If these disqualifying criteria under federal law were reported to NICS, he would not have been able to pass a background check to buy firearms.

Until we get at the root causes of violence - no law, no ban, and no background check will completely ensure the safety and security of our communities.

I have supported past efforts to get at the underlying problem of a culture of violence prevalent in our society by voting to authorize a study to look at the glorification of gun violence in popular culture, as well as risk factors that lead to mass shootings.

Furthermore, we must undertake a comprehensive review of the availability of current mental health services and examine the important role government agencies, community groups, and faith-based organizations can play to help provide the care and protection for those in need of services.

Thank you again for reaching out to my office. Please keep in touch and I hope you will continue to share your views on this issue and any other in the future.

Sincerely,

Rob Portman
U.S. Senator
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Thank you for contacting my office. I received your email opposing Senate Bill 260. As your State Senator in Columbus, it is important for me to not only know, but also to understand the issues and concerns of those I represent. As such, I truly appreciate you taking the time to reach out to me.

Senate Bill 260 appears to me to be a very broad bill that could potentially take away most guns from law abiding citizens. As a farmer who owns guns, shoots guns, and has a 100% pro-gun record, I agree with your opposition to S.B. 260. As we deal with the most recent school tragedy, I am committed to making sure students have a safe, secure school to learn in. Since 2013, the State of Ohio has invested $864,000 into school safety in my district, and over the next few weeks we are going to do more.

Thank you for raising my awareness of this issue. If I can ever be of assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Bob Peterson
State Senator, District 17
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Me:
Senator O'Brien,

Please don't bend to the current political pressures by allowing gun control bills to advance in the State Legislature.

No more gun control.

DaveyDug

Good morning DaveyDug,

This is Eli Kalil, Legislative Aide to State Senator Sean O’Brien.  Thank you for contacting our office with your concerns regarding Senate Bill 260.

Senator O’Brien continues to examine this issue closely and, while he has not  revealed his thoughts on it to me as of yet, I will be sure to pass your email along to him.  Please rest assured that he will take your thoughts into consideration prior to any legislative vote on the topic.

If you would like future updates regarding this issue, please feel free to contact our office again at any time, and thanks again for contacting us in the first place.  It is only because of constituents like you reaching out and expressing their thoughts and concerns to us that Senator O’Brien is able to make the best possible decisions on behalf of all the citizens in Ohio’s 32nd Senate District.

Have a great rest of your week, and I look forward to corresponding with you again soon!

Warmest regards,

Eli Kalil
Legislative Aide
State Senator Sean O’Brien (32nd Ohio Senate District) Ohio Statehouse
1 Capitol Square
Columbus, OH 43215
[email protected]

Me:  
I would like to hear Senator O'Brien's opinion on this terrible bill. Does he support or oppose it?

DaveyDug,

Considering the current makeup of our legislature, it is likely that the bill will not be brought to the floor for a vote. There are still elements to the bill that are subject to change, but please do know that Senator O'Brien is a pro-gun legislator.

Best,

Eli Kalil
Legislative Aide
State Senator Sean O’Brien (32nd Ohio Senate District)
Ohio Statehouse
1 Capitol Square
Columbus, OH 43215
E: [email protected]
Ph: (614)466-7182
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Dear Turfengineer,

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding gun violence.  I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

This Congress, I have co-sponsored legislation entitled the Fix NICS Act. (S.2135), commonsense, bipartisan legislation that can make a difference right away to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous individuals.

This legislation will push state, local and government entities to follow federal law and step up their reporting of information to the FBI that would disqualify individuals from passing a national instant criminal background check.

The tragedy in Sutherland Springs, Texas is an example of this problem, in which the Air Force never reported the proper information that the perpetrator was dishonorably discharged, a convicted violent criminal, and mentally ill.  If these disqualifying criteria under federal law were reported to NICS, he would not have been able to pass a background check to buy firearms.

Additionally, I support the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) re-examining the approval of bump stocks, which are used to modify a semi-automatic firearm to mimic the rate of fire of a fully automatic firearm. I look forward to reviewing their decision closely, and am willing to consider, if necessary, legislation to make bump stocks illegal.

Furthermore, I support increased penalties for straw purchasers – individuals who buy firearms for legally prohibited persons, and I have also voted in support of legislation that would prevent terror suspects from purchasing firearms.

I continue to support efforts to genuinely reduce crime and make our society safer for all citizens. No law, no ban, and no background check will completely ensure the safety and security of our communities, but I believe these commonsense proposals will help save lives.

Please keep in touch and I hope you will continue to share your views on this issue and any other in the future.

Sincerely,

Rob Portman
U.S. Senator
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By turfengineer:
Dear Turfengineer,

This Congress, I have co-sponsored legislation entitled the Fix NICS Act. (S.2135), commonsense, bipartisan legislation that can make a difference right away to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous individuals.

This legislation will push state, local and government entities to follow federal law and step up their reporting of information to the FBI that would disqualify individuals from passing a national instant criminal background check.

Additionally, I support the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) re-examining the approval of bump stocks, which are used to modify a semi-automatic firearm to mimic the rate of fire of a fully automatic firearm. I look forward to reviewing their decision closely, and am willing to consider, if necessary, legislation to make bump stocks illegal.

Furthermore, I support increased penalties for straw purchasers – individuals who buy firearms for legally prohibited persons, and I have also voted in support of legislation that would prevent terror suspects from purchasing firearms.

I continue to support efforts to genuinely reduce crime and make our society safer for all citizens. No law, no ban, and no background check will completely ensure the safety and security of our communities, but I believe these commonsense proposals will help save lives.

Please keep in touch and I hope you will continue to share your views on this issue and any other in the future.

Sincerely,

Rob Portman
U.S. Senator
View Quote
I just got the same letter.

What a damn disgrace this guy is.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 3:30:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Dear DaveyDug,

Thank you for contacting me on your concerns regarding gun control. I appreciate your interest in protecting the rights of Ohioans and Americans.

I am in support of all legislation that stands to protect the lives of Americans and I believe that an approach to ending gun violence must be multi-faceted. I believe that our approach to the prevention of tragic shootings must include strengthening mental health care and implementing common sense politics with respect to this issue. Again, I support legislation that protects the lives of all Americans, balanced against the preservation of Second Amendment Rights. As a life-long resident of Ashtabula County, I realize and appreciate our special relationship with the outdoors and the responsible use of firearms.

In addition, you should know that I am also very focused on ensuring the safety of our schools and our children, which is why I sponsored House Bill 318. This Bill defines the position, required training, and the duties of school resource officers with the goal of providing a funding stream for these positions. Essentially, I am very interested in a common sense approach to dealing with the issues of gun violence, and am actively working to make our schools and communities a safer place.

Thank you again for expressing your concerns regarding this issue. I value the views and opinions of my constituents, and I hope that I can assist in resolving your concerns. Please feel free to contact me again in the future with any other concerns you may have.

Best Regards,

John Patterson
State Representative
House District 99
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Bob Latta 5th district

Dear Aeroworksxp,

Thank you for contacting me in opposition to gun control legislation. In order to make sound voting decisions, I need to hear from the constituents in the Fifth Congressional District. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me with your thoughts on this issue, as I know how important it is to you.

One can never truly comprehend the devastation and sadness that parents, families, friends, and local communities experience in the wake of a mass shooting.  The recent tragedy in Florida is truly horrific and my deepest sympathies and prayers go out to the victims and their families.  It is imperative that solutions are found to prevent such heinous acts of violence, especially against our young and vulnerable people.

In this case, we witnessed a lack of enforcement of current laws that enabled an individual to purchase a firearm that he should not have been able to obtain. Prior to the shooting, the FBI was warned on two different occasions about the shooter. In neither instance did the FBI follow protocol. Additionally, the Broward County Sheriff’s office was contacted more than 30 times about the perpetrator, even with direct accusations that he would commit a school shooting. It is more important than ever, that we adhere to and enforce the federal laws that are currently in place.

In the 115th Congress, the House of Representatives has taken action to prevent the illegal use of firearms by passing H.R. 38. This legislation contains provisions to help address the mass shootings in Las Vegas and Texas by requiring agencies to report federally prohibited individuals to the NICS system. This legislation is awaiting action in the Senate. This bill also improves the National Violent Death Reporting System at the CDC to help track violent deaths and illuminate ways they can be prevented.

As a lifetime hunter and a competitor at the National Rifle and Pistol Championship matches at Camp Perry, I fully support our Second Amendment right to bear arms.  The framework for the Constitution gives us the rights that we as Americans have in this country. One of our Founding Fathers, Thomas Jefferson, once said, “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”  Please be assured that as I continue to represent the Fifth Congressional District, I will continue to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you again for contacting me on this issue.

It is my great honor to serve as your Member of Congress and it is my number one priority to represent you and the best interests of the Fifth Congressional District. Please do not hesitate to call, write, or e-mail me in the future with any of your concerns or questions. For federal-related issues, you may reach my Washington, D.C. office by phone at (202) 225-6405, or my District office at (800) 541-6446 for constituent services. I encourage you to visit my website at http://latta.house.gov where you can sign up for my e-newsletter. Also, feel free to follow me online at www.facebook.com/boblatta/ or Twitter at @boblatta, which helps bring my work in Washington, D.C. home to you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Dear NBT,

Thank you for contacting me in opposition to gun control legislation. In order to make sound voting decisions, I need to hear from the constituents in the Fifth Congressional District. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me with your thoughts on this issue, as I know how important it is to you.

One can never truly comprehend the devastation and sadness that parents, families, friends, and local communities experience in the wake of a mass shooting.  The recent tragedy in Florida is truly horrific and my deepest sympathies and prayers go out to the victims and their families.  It is imperative that solutions are found to prevent such heinous acts of violence, especially against our young and vulnerable people.

In this case, we witnessed a lack of enforcement of current laws that enabled an individual to purchase a firearm that he should not have been able to obtain. Prior to the shooting, the FBI was warned on two different occasions about the shooter. In neither instance did the FBI follow protocol. Additionally, the Broward County Sheriff’s office was contacted more than 30 times about the perpetrator, even with direct accusations that he would commit a school shooting. It is more important than ever, that we adhere to and enforce the federal laws that are currently in place.

In the 115th Congress, the House of Representatives has taken action to prevent the illegal use of firearms by passing H.R. 38. This legislation contains provisions to help address the mass shootings in Las Vegas and Texas by requiring agencies to report federally prohibited individuals to the NICS system. This legislation is awaiting action in the Senate. This bill also improves the National Violent Death Reporting System at the CDC to help track violent deaths and illuminate ways they can be prevented.

As a lifetime hunter and a competitor at the National Rifle and Pistol Championship matches at Camp Perry, I fully support our Second Amendment right to bear arms.  The framework for the Constitution gives us the rights that we as Americans have in this country. One of our Founding Fathers, Thomas Jefferson, once said, “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”  Please be assured that as I continue to represent the Fifth Congressional District, I will continue to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you again for contacting me on this issue.

It is my great honor to serve as your Member of Congress and it is my number one priority to represent you and the best interests of the Fifth Congressional District. Please do not hesitate to call, write, or e-mail me in the future with any of your concerns or questions. For federal-related issues, you may reach my Washington, D.C. office by phone at (202) 225-6405, or my District office at (800) 541-6446 for constituent services. I encourage you to visit my website at http://latta.house.gov where you can sign up for my e-newsletter. Also, feel free to follow me online at www.facebook.com/boblatta/ or Twitter at @boblatta, which helps bring my work in Washington, D.C. home to you.

Sincerely,

Bob Latta
Member of Congress
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Another Sherrod Brown....POS

Dear Mr. NBT

Thank you for getting in touch with me concerning gun safety. I appreciate you sharing your views.

Episodes of mass shootings in America have become far too common. And I refuse to believe that we are helpless in preventing senseless attacks of this nature from occurring. As legislators, we cannot truly say we are doing what it takes to keep Americans safe until we are willing to pass commonsense laws to keep weapons of war out of the hands of terrorists and violent criminals.

I have always respected the Second Amendment rights of hunters, collectors, and other law-abiding gun owners, and no one is trying to take away their guns. But when Americans are not safe in their schools, movie theatres, and dance halls, it’s clear something has to be done to curb gun violence.

I supported the original federal assault weapons ban in 1994, and I voted to renew it after the Sandy Hook tragedy, because weapons of war do not belong on our streets. I’ve supported legislation to close loopholes in our background check system so that people who buy guns on the internet or at gun shows have to go through the same background checks as law-abiding gun owners who buy their guns at stores in Ohio. And I supported the bipartisan Fix NICS bill to strengthen our background check system by requiring federal agencies to better report information to the database.

I’ve also supported legislation to prevent people on the terrorist watch list from buying guns, because if you’re too dangerous to get on an airplane, you’re too dangerous to buy a deadly weapon. I have supported repealing language that prevents the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from conducting research into the causes of gun violence and fortunately, members have agreed to lift the ban in the recently passed omnibus spending package. This is a significant step for gun violence research but there is so much more we can do to decrease gun related deaths.

Unfortunately, for too long, the gun lobby, led by the National Rifle Association (NRA), have prevented commonsense legislation on gun violence from being considered or passed by Congress. Any information indicating that I have accepted NRA contributions is false. I have never accepted any contributions from the NRA and I never will. But despite their determination to stand in the way of safety measures, I will continue to fight for commonsense, constitutional legislation that will protect our citizens from gun violence.

I have heard from students and teachers, mass shooting survivors, and parents across Ohio who agree that something must be done. That is why I am a cosponsor of the Students, Teachers, and Officers Preventing (STOP) School Violence Act of 2018 (S. 2495). This legislation would authorize a grant program designed to fund to evidence based programs in order make sure schools have the resources they need to train law enforcement, students and faculty to detect signs of violence, and make sure the appropriate steps can be taken to stop it before it occurs. This bill does not allow funds for arming teachers, because arming educators is not the answer.

The STOP School Violence Act is one step we can take right now to boost safety in communities everywhere, but it is just part of a comprehensive, bipartisan conversation about steps we can take to prevent these tragedies, which must also include gun safety measures.

While legislation will not prevent every shooting, commonsense changes will certainly save lives and reduce the risk of future mass shootings. As firearms related legislation comes before the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown

United States Senator

Stay connected with what's happening in Congress. Sign up here for regular updates on the issues you care about the most: http://brown.senate.gov/newsletter/landing
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By NBT:
Another Sherrod Brown....POS

Dear Mr. NBT

Thank you for getting in touch with me concerning gun safety. I appreciate you sharing your views.

Episodes of mass shootings in America have become far too common. And I refuse to believe that we are helpless in preventing senseless attacks of this nature from occurring. As legislators, we cannot truly say we are doing what it takes to keep Americans safe until we are willing to pass commonsense laws to keep weapons of war out of the hands of terrorists and violent criminals.

I have always respected the Second Amendment rights of hunters, collectors, and other law-abiding gun owners, and no one is trying to take away their guns. But when Americans are not safe in their schools, movie theatres, and dance halls, it’s clear something has to be done to curb gun violence.

I supported the original federal assault weapons ban in 1994, and I voted to renew it after the Sandy Hook tragedy, because weapons of war do not belong on our streets. I’ve supported legislation to close loopholes in our background check system so that people who buy guns on the internet or at gun shows have to go through the same background checks as law-abiding gun owners who buy their guns at stores in Ohio. And I supported the bipartisan Fix NICS bill to strengthen our background check system by requiring federal agencies to better report information to the database.

I’ve also supported legislation to prevent people on the terrorist watch list from buying guns, because if you’re too dangerous to get on an airplane, you’re too dangerous to buy a deadly weapon. I have supported repealing language that prevents the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from conducting research into the causes of gun violence and fortunately, members have agreed to lift the ban in the recently passed omnibus spending package. This is a significant step for gun violence research but there is so much more we can do to decrease gun related deaths.

Unfortunately, for too long, the gun lobby, led by the National Rifle Association (NRA), have prevented commonsense legislation on gun violence from being considered or passed by Congress. Any information indicating that I have accepted NRA contributions is false. I have never accepted any contributions from the NRA and I never will. But despite their determination to stand in the way of safety measures, I will continue to fight for commonsense, constitutional legislation that will protect our citizens from gun violence.

I have heard from students and teachers, mass shooting survivors, and parents across Ohio who agree that something must be done. That is why I am a cosponsor of the Students, Teachers, and Officers Preventing (STOP) School Violence Act of 2018 (S. 2495). This legislation would authorize a grant program designed to fund to evidence based programs in order make sure schools have the resources they need to train law enforcement, students and faculty to detect signs of violence, and make sure the appropriate steps can be taken to stop it before it occurs. This bill does not allow funds for arming teachers, because arming educators is not the answer.

The STOP School Violence Act is one step we can take right now to boost safety in communities everywhere, but it is just part of a comprehensive, bipartisan conversation about steps we can take to prevent these tragedies, which must also include gun safety measures.

While legislation will not prevent every shooting, commonsense changes will certainly save lives and reduce the risk of future mass shootings. As firearms related legislation comes before the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown

United States Senator

Stay connected with what's happening in Congress. Sign up here for regular updates on the issues you care about the most: http://brown.senate.gov/newsletter/landing
View Quote
Sherrod Brown has got to go. That POS is fully libtard.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:31:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#41]
@shotar

Not sure why you would draw a line in the sand over users writing to their politicians and posting the responses?

If there is one thing we need more of, it is people writing to their politicians to voice their appreciation (or more typically, their displeasure).
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Here is what I got from Bob Hackett's legislative aide today- (state senator)

Thank you for contacting Senator Hackett’s office in regards to gun reform.  Senator Hackett appreciates you taking your time to share your views with him.

Senator Hackett has always been a firm defender of our Second Amendment rights to own and utilize firearms. As you may know, he has a strong supportive voting history for gun ownership. Senator Hackett believes it is important that Ohio has responsible firearm legislation, which includes proper training and education on how and when to use a firearm and includes background checks on individuals in an effort to protect the public. Most importantly, Senator Hackett contends any legislation passed by the Ohio General Assembly should maintain a level of safety for our communities while also allowing those who choose to carry firearms to safely do so. Senator Hackett will certainly keep your views in mind.

Once again, thank you contacting Senator Hackett’s office in regards to gun reform. Should you have any additional questions to this legislation or any other state related matter, please feel free to contact Senator Hackett’s office, as his door is always open.

Sincerely,

Aaron Mabe, Legislative Aide

State Senator Bob Hackett

10th Senate District

614-466-3780

[email protected]
View Quote
Appears to be a form letter, and a noncommital one at that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#44]
I hope you don't mind Clot11, but I changed up your letter a little...
I suck at creative writing, so you guys think this is good to go??

Sir,

I am writing you to encourage and implore you not to support any “Red Flag” laws. As a Veteran and an avid U.S. Constitution supporter, I feel that this Red Flag law would erode due process and trample law abiding citizens and their rights. New restrictive legislation or legislation that strips away rights will accomplish nothing for the safety of Ohioans.

I thank you for your service to our state and for your support.

Respectfully,

Me
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 6:14:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wesker] [#45]
Here's one I got today from U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown:

"Thank you for getting in touch with me concerning gun safety. I appreciate you sharing your views.

Episodes of mass shootings in America have become far too common, including right here in Ohio, most recently in Dayton's Oregon District. I support passing gun safety laws and have led the way in calling on Republican Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to let the Senate vote on gun safety measures immediately. We cannot say we are doing what it takes to keep Americans safe until we are willing to pass commonsense laws to keep weapons of war off our streets and guns out of the hands of terrorists and violent criminals.

There is a lot we can do to advance gun safety in the United States. I supported the original federal assault weapons ban in 1994, I voted to renew it after the Sandy Hook tragedy, and I continue to support reinstating it now. I support legislation to close loopholes in our background check system so that people who buy guns on the internet or at gun shows have to go through the same background checks as law-abiding gun owners who buy their guns at stores in Ohio. I also supported the bipartisan Fix NICS bill, which strengthened our background check system by requiring federal agencies to better report information to the database to ensure that firearms do not end up in the hands of people who are a threat to the safety of anyone.

In addition, I have supported legislation to prevent people on the terrorist watch list from buying guns, because if you're too dangerous to get on an airplane, you're too dangerous to buy a deadly weapon. I have also supported repealing language that prevents the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from conducting research into the causes of gun violence and, fortunately, members have agreed to lift the ban in the recently passed omnibus spending package. This is a step forward for gun violence research, but there is so much more we can do to decrease gun related deaths.

I have always respected the Second Amendment rights of hunters, collectors, and other law-abiding gun owners. No one is trying to take away their guns. But when Americans are not safe in their schools, movie theatres, and houses of worship, it's clear something must be done to curb gun violence.

Unfortunately, for too long, the gun lobby, led by the National Rifle Association (NRA), have prevented commonsense legislation on gun violence from being considered or passed by Congress. But despite their determination to stand in the way of safety measures, I will continue to fight for commonsense, constitutional legislation that will protect our citizens from gun violence.

While legislation will not prevent every shooting, commonsense changes will certainly save lives and reduce the risk of future mass shootings. As firearms-related legislation comes before the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown

United States Senator"

Gun grabbing dick sent me that after I layed into him a few weeks ago in a email. Fuck you very much Mr Brown! Fuck you!!!

"Chris Oh Little Fishy Come See My Hook." Albert Wesker in Biohazard: Code Veronica X
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Wesker:
Here's one I got today from U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown:

"Thank you for getting in touch with me concerning gun safety. I appreciate you sharing your views.

Episodes of mass shootings in America have become far too common, including right here in Ohio, most recently in Dayton's Oregon District. I support passing gun safety laws and have led the way in calling on Republican Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to let the Senate vote on gun safety measures immediately. We cannot say we are doing what it takes to keep Americans safe until we are willing to pass commonsense laws to keep weapons of war off our streets and guns out of the hands of terrorists and violent criminals.

There is a lot we can do to advance gun safety in the United States. I supported the original federal assault weapons ban in 1994, I voted to renew it after the Sandy Hook tragedy, and I continue to support reinstating it now. I support legislation to close loopholes in our background check system so that people who buy guns on the internet or at gun shows have to go through the same background checks as law-abiding gun owners who buy their guns at stores in Ohio. I also supported the bipartisan Fix NICS bill, which strengthened our background check system by requiring federal agencies to better report information to the database to ensure that firearms do not end up in the hands of people who are a threat to the safety of anyone.

In addition, I have supported legislation to prevent people on the terrorist watch list from buying guns, because if you're too dangerous to get on an airplane, you're too dangerous to buy a deadly weapon. I have also supported repealing language that prevents the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from conducting research into the causes of gun violence and, fortunately, members have agreed to lift the ban in the recently passed omnibus spending package. This is a step forward for gun violence research, but there is so much more we can do to decrease gun related deaths.

I have always respected the Second Amendment rights of hunters, collectors, and other law-abiding gun owners. No one is trying to take away their guns. But when Americans are not safe in their schools, movie theatres, and houses of worship, it's clear something must be done to curb gun violence.

Unfortunately, for too long, the gun lobby, led by the National Rifle Association (NRA), have prevented commonsense legislation on gun violence from being considered or passed by Congress. But despite their determination to stand in the way of safety measures, I will continue to fight for commonsense, constitutional legislation that will protect our citizens from gun violence.

While legislation will not prevent every shooting, commonsense changes will certainly save lives and reduce the risk of future mass shootings. As firearms-related legislation comes before the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown

United States Senator"

Gun grabbing dick sent me that after I layed into him a few weeks ago in a email. Fuck you very much Mr Brown! Fuck you!!!

"Chris Oh Little Fishy Come See My Hook." Albert Wesker in Biohazard: Code Veronica X
View Quote
I got the same bullshit from Senator Useless today.

We get the government we deserve. As long as Ohioans keep reelecting this piece of filth, we'll continue to have to listen to this type of horse shit.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#47]
As of 4/30/20

Dear Mr. Themistocles:

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown

United States Senator

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#48]
My email to Portman and Brown:

Topics: Civil Rights

It is critically important that government officials care for the lives of the citizens of this great country.  In keeping with the theme of civil rights, I implore you to not support David Chipman for ATF director.  This man participated in killing American women and children, he stood in the ashes of the victims smiling for a photo op.  Please vote no for the confirmation of David Chipman.  

Will post the BS boiler plate answer if I receive one.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top