Site Notices
11/24/2014 4:59:23 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 4
Author
Posted: 12/26/2011 11:26:08 AM EST
I have a valid Ohio CCW permit.....how can I legally carry my AR with me in my trunk/hatch? Is there any difference between it and pistol? TIA
Chuck
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/26/2011 11:48:34 AM EST
You can carry it on the front seat. But no loaded magazines for it anywhere in the vehicle.

–– Chuck
United States Offensive M4 Carbine Club.
TJRoush
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/26/2011 12:35:20 PM EST
Thanks...so no loaded mags...but I can have ammo and mags along correct?
bimmertech87
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/26/2011 1:02:06 PM EST
Yep
Mr_Psmith
The 'P' is silent.
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/26/2011 4:38:23 PM EST
I just moved here. How difficult would it be to repeal this ridiculous law?
Everyman, I will go with thee
and be thy guide,
In thy most need to go
by thy side.
TJRoush
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/26/2011 6:17:41 PM EST
I agree...as a CCW we can carry our Glock 17's mag full, one in the pipe at condition one all over the place....yet my AR has to be in the car with a dry mag??? no sense doth this make!
Bigmiker21
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/26/2011 6:53:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/26/2011 6:55:36 PM EST by Bigmiker21]
Originally Posted By Mr_Psmith:
I just moved here. How difficult would it be to repeal this ridiculous law?

It'll prolly be a year or more before we see anything but http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ said that will be their next thing they will be working on, so hopefully one day we will have the stupid nonsense fixed, especially for chl holders. oh and welcome to ohio![img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_cool.gif[/img

eta: check out buckeye firearms and sign up, they are pretty cool and on arfcom too, a lot of ohio stuff along with national firearm news and info
Digital_Chaos
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 2:15:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2011 2:17:50 AM EST by Digital_Chaos]
I for one feel if you are not a LEO in a police car on duty (and I am not a LEO by the way) you should not have access to any other loaded mag other than your CHL weapon accessible in your vehicle.. Just no need for it.. Now in a locked trunk is cool and if you own a SUV or van then in a locked box at the rear is fine as well. I find the law a pain in the ass as well... But to have them just sitting in the seat with the AR or AK or whatever you have it is just not wise... Trust me I’m 100% true blue NRA / Second Amendment.. But a line has to be drawn...
Chuck
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 2:19:16 AM EST
Even Wisconsin (the 49th state to allow concealed carry) got it right. In Wisconsin you must have a cartridge in the chamber for the weapon to be considered loaded. Going to the range with no loaded magazines is stupid, but that's the current law.

–– Chuck
United States Offensive M4 Carbine Club.
rcb1586
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 2:48:02 AM EST
Here is a related question that I have been mulling over for a few days.

Am I legal to carry loaded magazines around for my AR pistol (no stock w/ 7.5" barrel)?

Digital_Chaos
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 2:59:26 AM EST
Originally Posted By rcb1586:

Am I legal to carry loaded magazines around for my AR pistol (no stock w/ 7.5" barrel)?

Can you holster it? or lock it in a glove box or like area or even a locked box on the seat or floor.. Dude that is one grey area in the law do you dare test the CHL gods :)
Top_Secret
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 3:05:43 AM EST
Originally Posted By Digital_Chaos:

Can you holster it? or lock it in a glove box or like area or even a locked box on the seat or floor.. Dude that is one grey area in the law do you dare test the CHL gods :)

Holster limitations in the car were removed with the last CCW bill IIRC.
Originally Posted By hoodonit00: I think some of you guys could suck the fun out of a machine gun shoot.
silent17
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 3:24:44 AM EST

You just answered your own question, homie.
silent17
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 3:30:12 AM EST
I for one feel if you are not a LEO in a police car on duty (and I am not a LEO by the way) you should not have access to any other loaded mag other than your CHL weapon accessible in your vehicle.. Just no need for it.. Now in a locked trunk is cool and if you own a SUV or van then in a locked box at the rear is fine as well. I find the law a pain in the ass as well... But to have them just sitting in the seat with the AR or AK or whatever you have it is just not wise... Trust me I’m 100% true blue NRA / Second Amendment.. But a line has to be drawn...

Throwing out some mighty leftist words there, varmint. You sure you're on the right site? i think you and I have had some issues in the past, and I am willing to forgive. But not this, now a "line has to be drawn".
Smallbore_Freak
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 3:42:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2011 3:49:20 AM EST by Smallbore_Freak]

Huh? Could you please explain this "line" you want to draw a bit clearer for me?

Why can I be considered responsible with my enough to carry a loaded pistol but not a loaded rifle or loaded rifle magazines?

(Edited for the rifle mags too)
"I'm pretty sure Ed Sr. would choke you out, given the opportunity."
silent17
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 3:44:06 AM EST
Originally Posted By Smallbore_Freak:

Huh? Could you please explain this "line" you want to draw a bit clearer for me?

Why can I be considered responsible with my enough to carry a loaded pistol but not a loaded rifle?

BOOM! True that SmallboreF!!!!
greyguy
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 3:48:30 AM EST
It would be nice to not have to spend so much range time (paid for by the hour) loading mags...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-Winston Churchill
rcb1586
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 4:10:06 AM EST
Originally Posted By silent17:

You just answered your own question, homie.

That is pretty much what I figured, but I didn't know if Ohio had any restrictions written into the law that defined a pistol differently than the ATF.

Most of the time I am only driving 5 minutes to a friend's house to shoot anyway.

Digital_Chaos
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 7:04:42 AM EST

Why can I be considered responsible with my enough to carry a loaded pistol but not a loaded rifle or loaded rifle magazines?

Its not about you personally ... it's an opinion nothing more....
Top_Secret
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 7:30:18 AM EST

All he's asking is why is this so "unwise"? If you're pro-2A then you shouldn't have a problem with people having loaded long guns in their cars. What exactly is being prevented by making people do so? All it does it make criminals out of gun owners.
Originally Posted By hoodonit00: I think some of you guys could suck the fun out of a machine gun shoot.
Smallbore_Freak
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 8:07:29 AM EST

I'm not taking it personally, I'm just confused by what your saying. You say that your 100% true blue NRA / Second Amendment yet you make a statement that appears to contradict it.
I was just wondering what your reasoning is behind the statement you made and if you would be willing to explain it.
AR-Doctor
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 8:10:05 AM EST

Ok, here is what I was told about my Then AR-Pistol. Now a SBR. "it's a real gray area. But if you DO NOT have a AR rifle in the vehicle you would be ok." But I didn't feel very sure about that. And never pushed the subject. I went and changed the pistol to a SBR. And now like the rest of us. Are waiting to see WHEN our friends at Buckeye Firearms are going to make there move to address this law. As I was told, it's more of a waiting game of politics of when to push the go button on this one.
Digital_Chaos
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 12:13:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2011 12:18:28 PM EST by Digital_Chaos]

I'm not taking it personally, I'm just confused by what your saying. You say that your 100% true blue NRA / Second Amendment yet you make a statement that appears to contradict it.
I was just wondering what your reasoning is behind the statement you made and if you would be willing to explain it.

I believe in the right to arms 100% but I don't think anyone has the need to have a loaded AR or AK in the vehicle... we are not in a war zone so to speak.. and it is more of a safety issue not the right to have issue... I agree it's a BS law and we should be able to have loaded mags in the trunk or locked box... just not accessible.. again it's not about trust it's about safety... Plus we all know the real reason the cops don't like to be out gunned...

Just because we support the NRA does not mean full autos for every one.. if you follow me... there has to be some order.. if you ever served in the military you know what is meant in saying that...
Digital_Chaos
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 12:19:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By silent17:

Throwing out some mighty leftist words there, varmint. You sure you're on the right site? i think you and I have had some issues in the past, and I am willing to forgive. But not this, now a "line has to be drawn".

Dude calling me left is like calling you rational.. it's just not happening
AR-Doctor
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 2:08:59 PM EST
Digital_Chaos: You know I may not be 100% behind you on all that you have posted on this subject. But I can see your point about loaded rifle mags stored in the trunk or closed case. As we speak that would even give us more freedom than we have at this point. I'm glad to see there's someone else in this room that can have some idea's other than the full auto's for all.
Smallbore_Freak
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2011 2:36:08 PM EST
Thanks for clarifying your position. While I don't necessarily agree with your view I can understand it. I'm hardly in the "full auto" for all camp but I don't see the loaded rifle mags as a loaded weapon (in the eyes of the law) either.

Previous Page
Page:  / 4
Hometown » Ohio