User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They've been selling them around here for years, that doesn't mean that they are legal to use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw a major retailer selling 40-round PMAG Generation 3 in Columbus over the weekend. They also carry 90-round drum for AR 15 on their shelf.

They've been selling them around here for years, that doesn't mean that they are legal to use.

Legal to use, in appropriately registered weapons.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Really?  The post immediately preceding yours answered that question.  Let me paraphrase for those unwilling to read a paragraph:  IT STILL EXISTS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So whats the news on this? Did it get repealed or not?

Really?  The post immediately preceding yours answered that question.  Let me paraphrase for those unwilling to read a paragraph:  IT STILL EXISTS.

I get that, but what the hell is the status of the bill that would repeal it?  Last I heard it was supposed to be addressed when congress reconvened in September and now I can't find anything about it.  

Come to think of it, there were a ton of pro-gun bills introduced that I now can't find updates to.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:02:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I get that, but what the hell is the status of the bill that would repeal it?  Last I heard it was supposed to be addressed when congress reconvened in September and now I can't find anything about it.  

Come to think of it, there were a ton of pro-gun bills introduced that I now can't find updates to.
View Quote

As I have posted before. You can check the status of the bills through the http://www.legislature.state.oh.us site. All you need to do is find the bill number like House Bill 191 and on the left side there is a Status Report of Legislation button. Most are tied up in committees right now, and probably will be for quite some time. This stuff takes time, if it is anything like the definition of a loaded firearm bill your looking at almost a year before it will get through the committees and even be considered for a vote.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate the snail pace of such bills and all but I am glad it is happening. Maybe someday
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Can I ship a 33 round mag to someone in OH?
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#6]
No prohibition on owning such a magazine.

It's on the buyer to not use them illegally.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#7]
CTD, Natchez and Midway all just confirmed it is illegal for them to ship 33 round glock mags to OH... For what its worth.  If they can't, I can't.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
CTD, Natchez and Midway all just confirmed it is illegal for them to ship 33 round glock mags to OH... For what its worth.  If they can't, I can't.
View Quote

Three retailers choosing not to sell to OH residents in NO way confirms that it is illegal for you to sell and mail 33 round glock mags to OH. The only thing that is illegal is for someone to have an unregistered "dangerous ordinance" according to the Ohio Revised Code. Unfortunately we also have to deal with one particular line that list firearms capable of shooting more than 31 rounds without reloading as "dangerous ordinance". The magazine itself is not enough, the magazine and a gun it would fit in is not enough, ONLY a magazine with a greater capacity than 30 inserted into a centerfire semi auto meets the definition of dangerous ordinance.

Mags with a capacity greater than 30 are still legal to buy, sell, own. Just not legal to use with a non registered semi auto centerfire weapon.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

<snip>

Mags with a capacity greater than 30 are still legal to buy, sell, own. Just not legal to use with a non registered semi auto centerfire weapon.
View Quote

There is no exemption for rimfire, only for .22 caliber cartridges.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

(C) Division (A) of this section does not apply to:

(5) Owners of dangerous ordnance registered in the national firearms registration and transfer record pursuant to the act of October 22, 1968, 82 Stat. 1229, 5841, and any amendments or additions thereto or reenactments thereof, and regulations issued thereunder.

Ohio defines SBRs and Machine Guns as " dangerous ordnance".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where in the law specifically does it state that an NFA firearm allows you to have 30+ round magazines in Ohio?  My concern here is that I'm building an SBR that will have a 50 round magazine.  I can see how a registered automatic weapon MIGHT exempt you from this law, but SBR?  I'd like to see some law on this.  

I called the NFA branch btw.  They don't have anything specific telling me it's OK if I'm SBR.

(5) Owners of dangerous ordnance registered in the national firearms registration and transfer record pursuant to the act of October 22, 1968, 82 Stat. 1229, 5841, and any amendments or additions thereto or reenactments thereof, and regulations issued thereunder.

My head hurts from reading this thread.

A registered SBR can legally use 31+ round mags legal in Ohio

Yes?

No?
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#12]
yes
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes?

No?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where in the law specifically does it state that an NFA firearm allows you to have 30+ round magazines in Ohio?  My concern here is that I'm building an SBR that will have a 50 round magazine.  I can see how a registered automatic weapon MIGHT exempt you from this law, but SBR?  I'd like to see some law on this.  

I called the NFA branch btw.  They don't have anything specific telling me it's OK if I'm SBR.

Yes?

No?

Have been for last 22yr now, nobody bother me..

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_12/550077_Ohio_capacity_.html
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you.  That is what I thought everyone was saying but wanted to be sure.

I know this law is mostly ignored but also don't want to run into that one police officer who is having a bad day.

This is one of the main reasons I want to SBR a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Belt feds must only load 31 rounds.

So I can keep the entire belt intact?  Don't have to break the belt?
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Machine gun ??  load all you want...

Semi-auto --> try 31 live, 2 dummy, 31 live, 2 dummy.. I would think having to work the action qualify as a manual reload... but I have been to Aurora IL Holiday Inn in a few yr now

View Quote

Private property, who' counting

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I just purchased a AR in 9MM and was hit with the hard truth that I can't get any of the 32rd magstried to order some from Natchez and was denied, guess I will have to make due with the 25rd.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Have a friend out of state receive them... I thought about it, as I have friend approx 40 mile across 70, but I dont use AR type 9mm mags,,, I use Uzi that mags that can be had a whole lot easier, as I be Uzi owner for some 28yr next month..

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I have considered that
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#21]
44mag.com would last time I checked. You can also find them at local stores and at Knob Creek if you go down.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Have a friend out of state receive them... I thought about it, as I have friend approx 40 mile across 70, but I dont use AR type 9mm mags,,, I use Uzi that mags that can be had a whole lot easier, as I be Uzi owner for some 28yr next month..

View Quote

Hey bud, SGammo has a good deal on the 25rounders now I believe....
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So I can keep the entire belt intact?  Don't have to break the belt?
View Quote

Technically you need to pull the belt apart or put a huge space (30+ spaces) empty after every 30 rounds.
No one bothers with doing this but do something stupid and they can tack that on.

If firing blanks with a blank adapter (i.e. barrel is obstructed) it is not a problem by Ohio law.   This will really piss off any DA with an ax to grind but you are safe.

I confirmed this through the Columbus Prosecutor when asking about some blank fire for historical displays. He had some cases go against the city that were gang related due to the plugged barrel part.  I do not know what section of law this falls under but it comes from a high level source.  Of course you can not fire live ammo this way so it is not a perfect law.

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I see HB191 is still tied up in committee, as all the other pro-gun bills likely are. What is the likelihood that these actually get through committee and voted on before they die in December? I sort of followed some Ohio gun legislation in the past (vehicle carry reform and bar carry, for example), but didn't really pay attention to timeframes. A year sitting in committee seems like a long time for a bill with any viability.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Update 9/20/14, HB 191 still assigned to committee from 6/4/13, nothing has happened since.

http://lsc.state.oh.us/coderev/hou130.nsf/House+Bill+Number/0191?OpenDocument
View Quote
This is BS. Let's send some emails and makes some calls Monday.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update 9/20/14, HB 191 still assigned to committee from 6/4/13, nothing has happened since.

http://lsc.state.oh.us/coderev/hou130.nsf/House+Bill+Number/0191?OpenDocument

I agree.  This is ridiculous.  We had all these pro-gun bills introduced last year and they've done nothing but stagnate in our supposedly gun friendly legislature.  Time to rattle their cages again guys... hard.  Let's get this done.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I've emailed my representative and they didn't make it sound like anything would happen. It will just die in committee.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Got this from my rep today:

Dear Mr. DaveyDug,  

Thank you for contacting my office regarding your support of gun rights bills, specifically House Bill 191, which would remove from the definition of “automatic firearm” in the Weapons Control Law a provision that includes in that definition any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than 31 cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm that chambers only .22 cartridges. I understand and appreciate your views related to this issue.  

H.B. 191 was introduced by Rep. John Becker and is currently under consideration by the House Transportation, Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee. As I am not a member of this committee, I have not had the opportunity to fully understand all of the bill’s implications. However, as the legislative process unfolds, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.  

In general, as a State Representative who has received an “A” rating from the Buckeye Firearms Association (http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-house-2014), I believe my record is clear on this issue as I am known to always look for opportunities to support our state and federal constitutions.  

Thank you again for contacting my office. I always appreciate the opportunity to better understand the views and concerns of my constituents. Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future if there is ever anything I can do to help you.  

Best regards,
John Patterson
State Representative
House District 99
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I agree it seems like a long time but it doesn't seem like they've had trouble pushing through other pro gun bills lately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I see HB191 is still tied up in committee, as all the other pro-gun bills likely are. What is the likelihood that these actually get through committee and voted on before they die in December? I sort of followed some Ohio gun legislation in the past (vehicle carry reform and bar carry, for example), but didn't really pay attention to timeframes. A year sitting in committee seems like a long time for a bill with any viability.

I agree it seems like a long time but it doesn't seem like they've had trouble pushing through other pro gun bills lately.
If memory serves, (correct me if I'm wrong) the Ohio Legislature and Governor haven't "pushed through" ANY pro-gun bills in the last two years since the Governor ousted Kevin DeWine from his Leadership position.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Does anyone know if anything is pushing forward to lift the mag limit?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I can't wait til the new law goes into effect and this thread can go the way of the DoDo bird.
View Quote

*Edit saw the update in the other thread.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Is there new news on the bill, that I havent heard?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't wait til the new law goes into effect and this thread can go the way of the DoDo bird.

Once Kasich signs it, our definition of a machine gun will be correct thus eliminating the magazine restriction
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Once Kasich signs it, our definition of a machine gun will be correct thus eliminating the magazine restriction
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just read that. I must have edited my post as you were quoting me lol.

Thanks for providing the info and not just going off on me for not seeing it originally
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#37]
And from the silence I assume that Kasich's signature is all but assured?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Man, no kidding. It's always been a bit of an embarrassing blight on our state, even as the law is mostly ignored.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:02:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Man, no kidding. It's always been a bit of an embarrassing blight on our state, even as the law is mostly ignored.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen.  It is almost time to celebrate the end of this thread.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#42]
When does the new stuff take effect?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#43]
SOS has not yet posted the exact date but should be around March 22 or 23

JLE

Quoted:
When does the new stuff take effect?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Legislation status report now shows 3/23/15 as effective date.

http://lsc.state.oh.us/coderev/hou130.nsf/House+Bill+Number/0234?OpenDocument

100 round drums for all.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

100 round drums for all.  
View Quote
250 round belts!

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Seen in shop I was at tonight pricing G-18 33rd 9mm mags.. only had 3 in bag I seen
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100 round drums for all.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Can someone clarify what this bill does?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Ohio House Bill 234
"Automatic firearms
? Removes from the Weapons Law definition of "automatic firearm" any semiautomatic
firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than 31 cartridges
without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or
long rifle cartridges (R.C. 2923.11(E))."
Page / 4
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top