Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2017 9:56:09 PM EDT
I have a Springfield Armory 1911 (the milspec model) that I want to give to my dad, who lives in San Diego.  I really want to spruce it up before I give it to him (change sights, trigger, MSH, safety, etc.), but does altering it's features make it unable to be brought into CA (because those were not the features the pistol was tested with)?.  The model # is on the registry (PB9108LP), so I'm pretty sure I can send it to him in its unaltered state, but can it be brought into the state with those various features changed?  Or would the best option be to send it to him in its original configuration, and change the parts out next time I visit him after it is transferred to him?

Thanks!

(Oh, and in before FSA; it's, like, a ten year old gun. )
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
shouldn't have to do anything, assuming it doesn't have a threaded barrel.  The "list" only applies to the first purchase of new pistols.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:40:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a Springfield Armory 1911 (the milspec model) that I want to give to my dad, who lives in San Diego.  I really want to spruce it up before I give it to him (change sights, trigger, MSH, safety, etc.), but does altering it's features make it unable to be brought into CA (because those were not the features the pistol was tested with)?.  The model # is on the registry (PB9108LP), so I'm pretty sure I can send it to him in its unaltered state, but can it be brought into the state with those various features changed?  Or would the best option be to send it to him in its original configuration, and change the parts out next time I visit him after it is transferred to him?

Thanks!

(Oh, and in before FSA; it's, like, a ten year old gun. )
View Quote

Your gift will be appreciated, I'm sure.

Just be sure to make the transfer thru an FFL.  You cannot legally send it directly to him.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#3]
You can gift* the handgun to your dad whether it is on the CA roster or not, through a process called "Intrafamilar Transfer."

1. Your dad finds a local FFL that will accept an intrafamiliar transfer from out of state.
2. You arrange with the FFL to ship the gun to them.

You can ship the gun in whatever configuration you want. The only features you have to worry about are NO threaded barrels and NO mags with greater than 10 round capacity.**

3. You ship the gun to the FFL with a letter detailing the make, model, serial of the gun and stating that it is a gift from you to your father.
4. Your dad must do a safe handling demonstration (which he will need a 10-rd mag for), pays the FFL a transfer fee and DROS fee, and starts his 10-day wait.

My personal advice: In addition to the 1911, you should be gifting your dad as many off-roster pistols as you can afford, especially anything popular and recently introduced (P320s, VP9s, CZ P10s, PPQs, M&P 2.0s, Ruger Mark IVs, CZ Shadow 2s, CZ SP-01 Tacticals). I know what you're thinking, "my dad is an old-timer and doesn't care about these plastic fantastic guns" but this way he can at least try them for himself and speak from experience. If he ends up not liking any, then he can sell them through private party transfer (PPT) for at least double what you paid. There will be people knocking down his door to buy them in this current CA political climate.

*The transfer must be a true gift. He can not compensate you in any way for the gift or it will be considered a straw purchase.
**There are other banned features such as NO full auto, NO barrel shrouds, NO vertical foregrips, NO magwells outside the grip, and NO shotgun pistols. These are much less common though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the replies; they have been really helpful and informative.  I didn't realize that you could gift guns that were off the roster.  I suppose I should give my dad the VP9 I was thinking about selling instead of the 1911, then...

If I send him two pistols at once, can he pick them up at the same time, or does he have to go through a second waiting period after transferring the first but before the second?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Besides threaded barrels and mag capacity, things like barrel shrouds and detachable mags outside the grip are also banned per the 2000 ban. You can't have a pistol version of the PPS43, for example.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Besides threaded barrels and mag capacity, things like barrel shrouds and detachable mags outside the grip are also banned per the 2000 ban. You can't have a pistol version of the PPS43, for example.
View Quote
No shoulder things that go up?!  WTH, California?  

How are things like AR and AK pistols handled if you can't have detachable mags outside the grip?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No shoulder things that go up?!  WTH, California?  

How are things like AR and AK pistols handled if you can't have detachable mags outside the grip?
View Quote
The mag must be detached by using a tool, or breaking the action open....

Used to be a bullet button was needed...now its quick lever rear pins that release upper and drop the mags.
OR...you can build/buy a featureless rifle with a regular mag release.
Videos all over youtube showing this stuff.

_
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't believe there are any legal ways to get a new AR/AK style pistol.  Previously legal ones would have to be registered, IIRC, or disposed of. Even prior to the end of 2016, I believe there was a fair amount of hoop jumping required.   But I don't really know.   I don't have one so haven't investigated my legal options for one. I'd need to do some serious research, which typically means something beyond depending on random forum posts.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
There is a list of pistols exempt from the "no magazines outside the grip" provision.  These are "Olympic-style" pistol for competition.  One example is a Pardini SP in 22LR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top