Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2017 2:49:26 AM EDT
Set me straight. Is it legal for me as a NV resident to bring a handgun into your state while traveling? If so what do I need to do? Was reading this link and it sounds as if he is saying it's not ok.

I have locking saddlebags so is that sufficient or does it need to be in a separate locked container within the saddlebag?

What else?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I've visited his site and one of the stores.  Without step by step analysis of his site, it was my impression that he didn't always accurately discuss California laws on storage and transportation.  There is a kink (several really) in transportation laws.  You can transport a handgun in a locked container and there are descriptions of what part of a vehicle is an acceptable "container" but they are sometimes arguable or not clearly explained in the law.  So locked in the trunk is OK but locked glove compartment isn't. You also don't have "open carry" so getting an uncased/containered handgun from vehicle in to a legal location may have some difficulties.  I don't know how  motorcycle locking boxes, etc., might be dealt with.  So a locked separate container may not always be required but theoretically goes a long way to avoiding problems.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#2]
What would I do, hmm,...???

1.  Lock the unloaded handgun in a soft "gun rug".  

This can be as simple as a dual-zippered soft gun case with a tiny lock holding the two zippers together.  

2.  Transport the gun rug in one of the lockable bags on your bike.

3.  I'd store the ammo anywhere but not inside the lockable gun rug.  

I'd say divide the weight of the ammo and gun between the two rear bags.

Remember - no magazines that hold more than ten rounds!
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I know about the 10 rounders. It actually makes my choices shrink considerably. Guess I should have kept a few of the 10 rounders I had

My 629 only holds 6 Or I'll just grab a 1911.

My original plan is to use a small factory type case or small bedstand type safe and just drop it in the saddlebag. I was just wondering if the saddlebag itself counts as a secure container.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What would I do, hmm,...???

1.  Lock the unloaded handgun in a soft "gun rug".  

This can be as simple as a dual-zippered soft gun case with a tiny lock holding the two zippers together.  

2.  Transport the gun rug in one of the lockable bags on your bike.

3.  I'd store the ammo anywhere but not inside the lockable gun rug.  

I'd say divide the weight of the ammo and gun between the two rear bags.

Remember - no magazines that hold more than ten rounds!
View Quote
Ammo does not need to be separate, no matter how much this is repeated everywhere.  The gun itself just can't be loaded.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ammo does not need to be separate, no matter how much this is repeated everywhere.  The gun itself just can't be loaded.
View Quote
Agreed and I never said it had to be.  In fact, I suggested it be done to balance the weight, the load distribution, on the motorcycle.  That's what I would do.

Certainly, there's nothing wrong with separating them.

Don't read into things that which is not there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah I know about the 10 rounders. It actually makes my choices shrink considerably. Guess I should have kept a few of the 10 rounders I had

My original plan is to use a small factory type case or small bedstand type safe and just drop it in the saddlebag. I was just wondering if the saddlebag itself counts as a secure container.
View Quote
The 1911 sounds good to me.  What type do you have?  Mine is a Colt stainless, so single stack (8+1 after loading).
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Agreed and I never said it had to be.  In fact, I suggested it be done to balance the weight, the load distribution, on the motorcycle.  That's what I would do.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not planning on carrying enough ammo to throw off balance couple mags or speedloaders is probably all I will have. Think the bags are only rated for 25 pounds. I've ridden with just one loaded bag before and it's not a big deal.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The 1911 sounds good to me.  What type do you have?  Mine is a Colt stainless, so single stack (8+1 after loading).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a couple but it would probably be my 9mm rock island tactical. 10 rounds in a flush fit mag and it shoots pretty well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#9]
https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/pdf/cfl2016.pdf?

Page 7: Handguns
California Penal Code section 25400 does not prohibit a citizen of the United
States over 18 years of age who is in lawful possession of a handgun, and who
resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting the handgun by motor
vehicle provided it is unloaded and stored in a locked container . (Pen . Code,
§ 25610 .)
The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed
and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device .
This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or
glove compartment . (Pen . Code, § 16850 .

Without getting into the idea that someone somehow might make the argument that a single container attaches the ammunition to the firearm or that it might slip up against the firearm, etc., a separate container or even fixed dividers, etc., might be worth thinking about.  the gray area though is what the locking boxes might be considered.  This next one points out that carry to/from the vehicle is an area to be considered, too.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

HANDGUNS

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:44:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, nice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top