Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 2:59:42 AM EDT
I need to find me a new muzzle device. I was running my AR with thread protector, but I want to upgrade. I'm currently looking at a linear comp or A2 with a closed end. I like the looks of the Kaw Valley Linear Comp, but is that considered a Flash Hider? The end of the comp has a shroud going over it. Also how gtg am I with an A2 with a closed end? I see them for 10 dollars on ebay. I live in the Bay Area (Castro Valley) so I want to be 100% sure that I can't get fudged up the ass.

The description of the closed A2 on ebay says that it will work for compliance.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been eyeballing this compensator. I'll let others chime in to discuss...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy the compensator in the AR15.com store. Don't buy a muzzle device that you don't know who made, where it's made it or how it's advertised. The ones in the site store are without a doubt compensators and not flash suppressor. That's the best advice I can give you.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy the compensator in the AR15.com store. Don't buy a muzzle device that you don't know who made, where it's made it or how it's advertised. The ones in the site store are without a doubt compensators and not flash suppressor. That's the best advice I can give you. https://store.ar15.com/product.html?cat=-1&pr=650
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the muzzle end constricted in some way to act like a baffle?

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes Trollslayer. There's just a 5.56MM hole on the end of the device it's not a conical opening.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:55:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the muzzle end constricted in some way to act like a baffle?

https://store.ar15.com/media/store/a2comp556.jpg
View Quote
The problem I see with that, is that it looks too like an A2 birdcage. To me, that's just asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I just saw this from Strike Industries.

Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been eyeballing this compensator. I'll let others chime in to discuss...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/350291/IMG-3512-236015.JPG
View Quote
Agree.  Just back after about two weeks getting new internet serve up and running.  One should look closely at the rather erratic, byzantine and probably unenforceable ways the state tries to describe muzzle devices.  For example, on a recent sale ad (maybe still current?), Turner's Outdoorsman tried to advertise a compensator that was not a flash suppressor.  They said, basically, "This flash suppressor was designed not to be a flash suppressor."  They meant, of course, muzzle device or compensator.  But that third party ad could get you wrapped around the axle.  I'm sticking to a thread protector for now.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buy the compensator in the AR15.com store. Don't buy a muzzle device that you don't know who made, where it's made it or how it's advertised. The ones in the site store are without a doubt compensators and not flash suppressor. That's the best advice I can give you.
View Quote
That's what I use.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#10]
To each, his own.

I would say that if it isn't the military M16-style flash suppressor, especially if it says it's a muzzle brake or a compensator on the manufacturer's web site, you are okay.  Why you really need either on a 223 is beyond me but it's up to you if those extra milliseconds are worth it.  

Plus, I hate muzzle brakes and comps, as they increase the noise level for everyone well beyond reason.  I suspect this is why they are banned from NRA and CMP competitions.

Still, all mine are plain muzzles so they surely qualify as featureless.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:53:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
To each, his own.

I would say that if it isn't the military M16-style flash suppressor, especially if it says it's a muzzle brake or a compensator on the manufacturer's web site, you are okay.  Why you really need either on a 223 is beyond me but it's up to you if those extra milliseconds are worth it.  

Plus, I hate muzzle brakes and comps, as they increase the noise level for everyone well beyond reason.  I suspect this is why they are banned from NRA and CMP competitions.

Still, all mine are plain muzzles so they surely qualify as featureless.
View Quote
I was looking towards linear compensators, as a way to reduce this. I heard that it can greatly reduce the blast going into your ears, and make your shooting more pleasurable. Plus the griffin armaments linear comp looks cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top