Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2017 1:17:30 PM EDT
I'm planning on getting my brother a hunting knife.  Fixed blade, 3-4 inches, probably with a guy hook.

It looks like its legal in California but I figured you all would know the most up to date information.

As best as I can tell he can have it, and carry it in the field but not around town?  Any concern mailing it to him?

thanks
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#1]
There are some local jurisdictions and private properties that forbid open carrying a knife.

Also related on if is concealed, there is a state dirk and dagger law for carrying a concealed knife of such type. CA has open carry knife laws. Folding knives are exempt unless folded out. So no concealing anywhere when in public.

There are some enhancement laws where if you break a law while carrying the knife ....... that are sometimes creatively used by law enforcement to extract more fines to support the CA political system.....

Of course there are the Federal laws like airports, social security buildings, etc.

In CA we love our children even though we abort them at the highest rate in the world and only have one child per family because that is enough (or maybe-if we have not chosen to remain single all our life)  so we pass lots of laws ".....for the sake of these precious few remaining children..." laws that we did not abort so be careful about that (like a knife at a school is the equivalent of the sky falling and earth ending event)

Occasionally in CA you run into gungrabber landlords that put such things in there lease.

For ownership/possession only of a fixed blade 3"-4" knife at your residence there are no state laws to forbid such other than for conditions on the usual crowd of convicted felons, people on probation, mentally ill, etc that are under the governance of a court or judicial system that may forbid such ownership.

I have several fixed blade knives in my kitchen that fit this description and that were sent by mail from Amazon so you can see that even as stupid as we are in CA that since the politicians like being fat and eating allot on the tax payer dime that they have not yet figured out a way yet to ban knives without cutting into their culinary habits. Rest assured if they can some day figure this out then all knives will be banned in CA.

You should strongly caution him to research the laws on carrying and to never carry it concealed (which includes under your seat in your car...... or anywhere in your car that is not easily visible but considered within reach-we would rather encourage the druggies to break in and steel your knife and sell it to a mugger than have law abiding citizen hide the knife under his seat).

GOOD LUCK!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top