Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2017 7:22:28 PM EDT
Are these types of stocks illegal - the type where you can change the length of pull and raise/lower/rotate the butt plate to fit the rifle to the shooter?  

In these stocks, the "buffer tube" is fixed (does not move or collapse).  It is the butt plate that moves, usually requiring the use of a tool or screw of some type.  Here is one of many of the type:

Here's another version, the one I have:

Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably.  The buffer tubes are all fixed - any of the adjustable length stocks move in or out on the tube.  While I doubt some of the legislators would have intended to deal with a precision competition type firearm, noting that they at some point did make exceptions for some Olympic competition level target firearms, most intended to try to ban adjustable length stocks because they don't want more readily concealed weapons.  It's not a new thing.  It's kind of a traditional worry for the banners.  Look at various restrictions on firearms lengths of all sorts.  They go back many years.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Coincidentally, I found the newly released definition of a telescoping stock.  To be a "telescoping stock", one part must "telescope" into the other.  

<rant mode on>
Typical ignorant definition, IMO, using the word to define itself rather than a technically explicit definition.
<rant off>

To be problematic, one the adjustability in length must involve one art telescoping into the other.  To me, that means adjustable butt plates of the type I showed above would not be considered a telescoping stock.  Interestingly, in the regulations I was reading, the terms "collapsible stock" and "adjustable stock" are never used and are not prohibited.

This is good news, as it keeps the door open to make my match rifle featureless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top