Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2017 5:57:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Help me out here guys. I want to give my 94 year old Father this rifle. He is a WW2 vet and sharp as a tack, and still drives. He trained on the carbine when he was serving in the Army Air Corp.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Nevada to Californication! Yes yes, I know how hard it is to move out, and I am one of the few that managed out of my family.
I have made millions dowsing for famous stars here in Nevada though, so I am NOT going back. Give a brother a hand----- can my Dad legally own
a M1 carbine in California?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Rifle - yes

Magazines are limited to 10 rounds, maximum.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No bayonet lug either, check the AW flow chart on Calguns for more info.
View Quote
Bayonet lugs are not a feature that makes a rifle an assault weapon.  That was the old Federal law, not California's law.

Still, do check the flow chart for compliance.

Here are the banned features:

Pistol grip
Thumbhole stock
Folding or telescoping stock
Grenade or flare launcher
Flash hider
Forward pistol grip
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Why do we keep getting the bayonet lug thing repeated?  That was never a CA ban thing.  It WAS a federal ban item but that is long gone.

Anyway, as stated above the M1 carbine in unmodified form is gtg.  Usually.  No flash hider (there is a USGI clamp on FH).  No folding stock or pistol grip (M1A1 "paratrooper").
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#7]
It's bad enough we hear it from out-of-staters but no Californian should be unfamiliar with the Ca. laws.  That suggests two things.  One is that you have restricted yourself more than the laws require, the other is that without familiarity with the laws, you may have crossed the line somehow and have an illegal configuration of some sort.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#8]
The standard carbine rifle is good to go. I had to get 10 round mags when I bought mine. Finding ammo might be an issue. I had trouble finding it during the panic. I haven't tried looking for .30 carbine in the local stores lately, but it looks like at least online sources are stocking it again.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's bad enough we hear it from out-of-staters but no Californian should be unfamiliar with the Ca. laws.  That suggests two things.  One is that you have restricted yourself more than the laws require, the other is that without familiarity with the laws, you may have crossed the line somehow and have an illegal configuration of some sort.
View Quote
This is a joke, right!

ATF publication 5300.5 is over 450 pages, it is all state Laws.  1/6 of that is CA. state and city ordinances. Even if YOU work for the CA. DOJ YOU don't know all the CA. laws.

Also to insinuate someone has crossed the line because they don't know all the codes when the OP was from NV
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
New ammo law after Jan 1 2018 which will double the price and also make all but the most common hard to find.

So be sure to include lots and lots of ammo.

After Jan 1 it will be against the law to bring it over the border except for small amounts for scheduled hunting.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#11]
For all those out there that think this is rocket science, it isn't.  Here's one of the many references one could use:

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/featureless-ar-15-rifle-grips-stocks-muzzle-devices/

Starting off, the M1 carbine is not a potential problem under federal laws, like barrel length or selective fire/full auto, etc.  If it is, then it's not as the OP described it.  It wasn't previously registered in Ca. as an assault weapon.  It's not one of the Ca. specific listed by name weapons.  Neither it's barrel length nor overall length are an issue.  Nor is it's caliber, it's not a ".50 BMG."  Magazine detachable?  Yes.  Mags must be 10 rounds or fewer.  But that wasn't the question.  Bullet button? Not if it's a standard M1 carbine.  

So, what are the features that define a featureless rifle? Does it have any of these?
   Pistol Grip - Nope.
   Thumbhole Stock - Nope.
   Folding/Telescoping Stock - Nope.
   Grenade Launcher or Flare Launcher - Nope.
   Flash Suppressor - Nope.
   Forward Pistol Grip - Nope.

It's a classic "featureless" rifle.  Now just for some clarity, for all you guys that keep wanting to bring up bayonet lugs.  A bayonet lug is not a factor in California.

Where could you get in trouble?  Friend at work was late in getting a build done before the beginning of the year. He has to go featureless now.  So what are the tricky, sort of, spots that might be a problem?  

Until just quite recently, the proposed regulations/definitions that go with the laws weren't available for review let alone finalized.  So what might be a "good thing" in the regs?  They have actually filled in some of the unclear (but not necessarily fixed all the lack of clarity) features carried over from existing laws.  This is good because when you draw a line in the law/regs, it is easy (or should be) to know where a feature, item, device, etc., is in when it comes to compliance.  Like barrel length - they describe how barrel length is to be measured.  Easy to enforce, easy to comply.  

Examples of an improvement. They defined, like it or not, and perhaps still not well enough, what would constitute "disassembly" when it comes to dealing with "fixed" magazines. They now specifically define a stock.  Before the question was out there as to whether a stock, like a Thordsen, might be described as a pistol grip.  The issue there is because a pistol grip (for California) is partially described by where the web of the hand (between thumb and forefinger) goes.  Now, "stock" is separately discussed and that's not an issue.  (Note that a Thordsen and similar stocks replace the pistol grip and original stock, so to speak.  There are still requirements in place covering certain types of grips and stocks to be observed.)

Still lacks clarity?  Flash suppressor.  They struggled with the definition last time around and it remains problematic.  

So where could the friend get in trouble?  Deleting the usual flash hider/suppressor and adding a brake that somehow triggers one of the Ca. factors.  Retaining a non-folding/non-telescoping stock and not addressing the "pistol grip."

So what might be an area that gets bandied about incorrectly?  Bayonet lugs - no need to restrict oneself from having a bayonet lug.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top