Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2017 6:24:16 AM EDT
I'm a newbie, and i just finish building my AR-15 with all features and a maglock. The question is, i want test fire the AR at a local indoor range, i'm just not sure how to carry the AR in the car. my plan was to keep it in a rifle case locked without mag on in the trunk and mags locked in the glove box, or should i keep an empty mag on? bullets in the glove box. I just don't want to get in trouble for being naive. thanks for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure someone will chime in but you'll have better luck posting it in the Cali "hometown" thread. They are state specific.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm sure someone will chime in but you'll have better luck posting it in the Cali "hometown" thread. They are state specific.
View Quote
This. It's ridiculous that a decent guy in the US has to worry about getting in trouble for the way he transports his rifle to the range. I mean, is it really necessary to lock the rifle up in a case while it's in a locked trunk, and then make sure you keep the ammo separately stored from the firearm? Like the rounds being locked in the trunk with the gun pose some kind of danger. Absurd...I throw everything in my range bag and head out. That's the way it's supposed to be. Sorry you guys out in California have to deal with that bullshit. If I was in Cali, it wouldn't be for long. I'd be getting the f%*k outta that state. Pisses me off everytime I read this kinda shit. I worry about our country's future.

ETA: Sorry for ranting in your thread. It just depresses me reading this kind of stuff...
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#3]
i throw it in my trunk.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm a newbie, and i just finish building my AR-15 with all features and a maglock. The question is, i want test fire the AR at a local indoor range, i'm just not sure how to carry the AR in the car. my plan was to keep it in a rifle case locked without mag on in the trunk and mags locked in the glove box, or should i keep an empty mag on? bullets in the glove box. I just don't want to get in trouble for being naive. thanks for any suggestions.
View Quote

I throw my AR in it's case with empty mags and use an ammo can to carry my ear muffs, glasses, and ammo. I throw it all in the back seat and go to the range. It isn't an "assault weapon" if you have it with the maglock so you can transfer it like you would any FUDD gun.

Here is the link
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#5]
All guns must be transported unloaded. Unloaded means empty chamber and empty feeding device or no feeding device. (E.g., can't have cartridges in the tube, magazine, cylinder, whatever.)
You can have magazines and ammo in the same container, they do not need to be separate. (Loaded mags are fine)

Handguns must be transported in a locked container. Your trunk qualifies, a glove box DOES NOT. If you do not have a separate trunk, a locked case or bag is fine. (e.g, unloaded handgun in a locked case behind the seat of your truck, etc.)
Transporting a handgun in public, it must be in a locked case. (e.g., riding your bicycle or public transportation, or if you're parked in a public area and take it from your vehicle to the private area of a range.)

Rifles do not need a locked case IF the case was specifically designed to transport a firearm. Otherwise it must also be locked. (e.g., a guitar case can hold a rifle but was not designed as a firearm case, therefor must be locked. The "covert carry case" that looks like a tennis racket case that is designed as a gun case does not need to be locked. funny huh.)

Registered Assault Weapons must always be in a locked case and have destination requirements. It does not sound like you have a RAW but with upcoming registration available for pre 2017 possessed firearms it will be more relevant.

There's at least one california specific website which has better information on CA laws with actual penal codes.
If I remember anything else I'll add below as an edit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:55:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
All guns must be transported unloaded. Unloaded means empty chamber and empty feeding device or no feeding device. (E.g., can't have cartridges in the tube, magazine, cylinder, whatever.)
You can have magazines and ammo in the same container, they do not need to be separate. (Loaded mags are fine)

Handguns must be transported in a locked container. Your trunk qualifies, a glove box DOES NOT. If you do not have a separate trunk, a locked case or bag is fine. (e.g, unloaded handgun in a locked case behind the seat of your truck, etc.)
Transporting a handgun in public, it must be in a locked case. (e.g., riding your bicycle or public transportation, or if you're parked in a public area and take it from your vehicle to the private area of a range.)

Rifles do not need a locked case IF the case was specifically designed to transport a firearm. Otherwise it must also be locked. (e.g., a guitar case can hold a rifle but was not designed as a firearm case, therefor must be locked. The "covert carry case" that looks like a tennis racket case that is designed as a gun case does not need to be locked. funny huh.)

Registered Assault Weapons must always be in a locked case and have destination requirements. It does not sound like you have a RAW but with upcoming registration available for pre 2017 possessed firearms it will be more relevant.

There's at least one california specific website which has better information on CA laws with actual penal codes.
View Quote
I've never heard that a rifle must be cased, or locked, one way or the other, no matter the original design of the case.  Non-concealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 12025 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container.  If I'm wrong, please point me to the correct PC section.  

FCA
FJB
FGN
FDF
FNP
FKDL
FKH
FXB

and for good measure, FBHO

OP, put your mags (loaded or unloaded) in a separate container, in your trunk.  Put your rifle in your in something, anything, so that when you get out at the range it's covered until you get inside the building (more so that anyone passing by doesn't freak out than for any compliance issue).  Don't drive like an asshole.  You'll be fine.

Also, are you sure you can shoot an AR at your local indoor range?   Many indoor ranges don't have adequate backstops for 5.56/.223.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
This guy's got it right, with the caveat that the trunk only qualifies if it's enclosed (generally speaking, the trunk of a sedan is acceptable, but the trunk of a SUV or station wagon is not, as it's accessible and potentially in plain sight). CalGuns absolutely would be the best resource for CA-specific questions.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Just had to look up what a maglock is... Damn. I feel bad for you Cali guys.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I did it the easy way... put my rifle case in the bed of the truck and went on my merry way.

Don't get pulled over, it's easy.

Never bothered with any of the stupid CA BS. Noone ever gave me any trouble at the range.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Best way is move out, to say..FL.. When I want to hit the range,  I throw gun in PAX seat , drive tp range,  hit the beach,  go home. My dad lives in La Jolla, nice place but fun all the mins. I fell naked without my 1911 on my hip.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
^^^
This
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, it's getting bad there. I mean WORSE. Guys need to get the hell outta there and quit giving your hard earned tax dollars to them only to turn around and use against you.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, it's getting bad there. I mean WORSE. Guys need to get the hell outta there and quit giving your hard earned tax dollars to them only to turn around and use against you.
View Quote
Those of us who live here are fighting the best we can to protect our 2A rights.  California is the front line in the fight for gun rights in the USA.  A legal decision that defeats the unconstitutional restrictions in California can set a precedent to protect firearm owners nationwide.  You might be safe from this type of legislation now, but what about your children and grandchildren?  

I donate what time and money I can to support pro-gun lawsuits in my state.  I know this doesn't affect most of you, but every bit helps!

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Calguns Foundation is great.   There are also some other options to fight for the 2nd Amendment in CA

One of my favorites is CALIFORNIA RIFLE AND PISTOL ASSOCIATION but there are also the following:

Firearms Policy Coalition
(FPC): National 501(c)4 nonprofit organization with a focus on policy and law (in "battleground" states); also leads direct and grassroots lobbying and provides the community with tools for same. Contributions are not tax-deductible.

Firearms Policy Coalition Second Amendment Defense Committee (FPC-SADC): FPC-sponsored primarily formed ballot initiative PAC to fight and oppose Gavin Newsom's "Safety for All Act" gun control effort.  Contributions are not tax-deductible.

Firearms Policy Foundation (FPF): National 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with a focus on law, education, and outreach. Contributions are tax-deductible.

California Association of Federal Firearms Licensees (CAL-FFL): California-based 501(c)6 nonprofit association representing firearms industry stakeholders (dealers, manufacturers, trainers, ranges, and consumers) in policy advocacy and legal matters.  Contributions are not tax-deductible.

The Calguns Foundation (CGF): California-based 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with a focus on law, research, and education. Contributions are tax-deductible.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Below is from the CADOJ, however if you are using a private range check with them as many require the rifle to be carried into/onto the range cased.

TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS
Handguns
California Penal Code section 25400 does not prohibit a citizen of the United
States over 18 years of age who is in lawful possession of a handgun, and who
resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting the handgun by motor
vehicle provided it is unloaded and stored in a locked container . (Pen . Code,
§ 25610 .)
The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed
and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device .
This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or
glove compartment . (Pen . Code, § 16850 .)
Rifles and Shotguns
Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within
the provisions of California Penal Code section 25400 and therefore are not
required to be transported in a locked container . However, as with any firearm,
nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported . A
rifle or shotgun that is defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Penal Code
section 30510 or 30515 must be transported in accordance with Penal Code
section 25610 .
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:39:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The only group of people that the members of this board hate more than ISIS terrorist are California gun owners.
View Quote
lolz....
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Given the situation here in California and what's soon coming across the Nation if we don't fight now, this is worthy of repeating.

Quoted:

Those of us who live here are fighting the best we can to protect our 2A rights.  California is the front line in the fight for gun rights in the USA.  A legal decision that defeats the unconstitutional restrictions in California can set a precedent to protect firearm owners nationwide.  You might be safe from this type of legislation now, but what about your children and grandchildren?  

I donate what time and money I can to support pro-gun lawsuits in my state.  I know this doesn't affect most of you, but every bit helps!

Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:55:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
lolz....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only group of people that the members of this board hate more than ISIS terrorist are California gun owners.
lolz....
Cops fall in the AR15 hierarchy of hatred somewhere near the top, too.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Man! i been busy for my state boards so I havent been here. Thanks for all the reply. I have a 350Z, its a two seater. So last time i went to the range, i put all my empty mags and ammos in the glove box, located behind the passenger seat and locked it. then i placed my pistol inside my rifle bag along with my AR locked inside the trunk. I know Cali is turning for the worst, i grew up here and i love my state but man hopefully we win this fight against these liberals.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This. It's ridiculous that a decent guy in the US has to worry about getting in trouble for the way he transports his rifle to the range. I mean, is it really necessary to lock the rifle up in a case while it's in a locked trunk, and then make sure you keep the ammo separately stored from the firearm? Like the rounds being locked in the trunk with the gun pose some kind of danger. Absurd...I throw everything in my range bag and head out. That's the way it's supposed to be. Sorry you guys out in California have to deal with that bullshit. If I was in Cali, it wouldn't be for long. I'd be getting the f%*k outta that state. Pisses me off everytime I read this kinda shit. I worry about our country's future.

ETA: Sorry for ranting in your thread. It just depresses me reading this kind of stuff...
View Quote
All good brother, thanks for the support.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a locking case, but it's rather bulky, so I usually just throw the rifle in a soft case or rifle sock and just put it in the trunk (if I were somewhere with a different gun culture but similar transport laws, I might not have qualms about putting it in the backseat).  Magazines and such go in whatever bag I decide to use for that, ammo, etc.  I don't use a locking case or bag nor do I separate them.  Rifles stay unloaded, of course.  If it'll all fit in the same container, it all goes in the same container, though.  All of that complies with CA laws.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a locking case, but it's rather bulky, so I usually just throw the rifle in a soft case or rifle sock and just put it in the trunk (if I were somewhere with a different gun culture but similar transport laws, I might not have qualms about putting it in the backseat).  Magazines and such go in whatever bag I decide to use for that, ammo, etc.  I don't use a locking case or bag nor do I separate them.  Rifles stay unloaded, of course.  If it'll all fit in the same container, it all goes in the same container, though.  All of that complies with CA laws.
View Quote
Thanks, ill just do the same. Definitely need a range bag for all this ammos, mags and tools.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:20:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks, ill just do the same. Definitely need a range bag for all this ammos, mags and tools.
View Quote
If the rifle is an assault weapon, it has to be in locked container.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Rifle can go in a case, just make sure its unloaded. I transport mine in the back seat in an unlocked rifle case a lot of the time. 

I would check with the range if they'll let you shoot a rifle indoors. Most indoor ranges are pistol-only. I've never found one that allowed rifles due to noise and backstop issues. 
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:16:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Rifle can go in a case, just make sure its unloaded. I transport mine in the back seat in an unlocked rifle case a lot of the time. 

I would check with the range if they'll let you shoot a rifle indoors. Most indoor ranges are pistol-only. I've never found one that allowed rifles due to noise and backstop issues. 
View Quote
There are some that will; I know of one in Orange County and another in San Bernardino County, but at least one restricts rifles to members only. 
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There are some that will; I know of one in Orange County and another in San Bernardino County, but at least one restricts rifles to members only. 
View Quote
One in Corona.  Several others around here that allow .223/5.56 on a somewhat limited basis.  The one in Corona is pretty flexible about caliber but is fairly strict about bullet types.  I didn't find it too bad with an M1a but not sure how others felt - I was there on a fairly quiet  midweek point.  I'd expect a busy, full weekend would be unpleasant for those around the rifle shooters depending on the caliber, etc.  the backstops will probably deal fine with the right ammo types but the lane barriers aren't all that long so your neighbors will likely get the blast benefit.  I know I found pistol shooting next to an AR wasn't much fun.  At least with a rifle neighbor, my hands aren't up around "his" muzzle when swapping/taping targets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top