Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2017 6:03:56 PM EDT
Good morning California,

I am flying into Los Angeles International Airport in May from the UK on my way to a shooting competition in Utah and I have a question.

My question is basically as per the title, is an AR15 with pistol-grip, muzzle-brake, collapsible stock, magazine release button but without gas parts or gas port legal in CA?

I am seeking this confirmation because I wish to bring my match rifle with me and that rifle is an AR15. My AR15 has all the features above but is manually operated (ie: it is not semi-automatic) and thus has to be cycled by hand between each shot like a bolt-action rifle. It is built in this fashion to make it compliant with UK Firearms Law where semi-automatic centre-fire rifles are illegal.

Based on my research on California Firearms Law this rifle is legal with such features because it isn't semi-automatic but I would like to confirm this before departing an discovering otherwise upon arrival.

I've contacted the Department of Justice several times but have never received a response so I'm hoping AR15.com is more communicative!

Thanks in advance.

D
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Good morning California,

I am flying into Los Angeles International Airport in May from the UK on my way to a shooting competition in Utah and I have a question.

My question is basically as per the title, is an AR15 with pistol-grip, muzzle-brake, collapsible stock, magazine release button but without gas parts or gas port legal in CA?

I am seeking this confirmation because I wish to bring my match rifle with me and that rifle is an AR15. My AR15 has all the features above but is manually operated (ie: it is not semi-automatic) and thus has to be cycled by hand between each shot like a bolt-action rifle. It is built in this fashion to make it compliant with UK Firearms Law where semi-automatic centre-fire rifles are illegal.

Based on my research on California Firearms Law this rifle is legal with such features because it isn't semi-automatic but I would like to confirm this before departing an discovering otherwise upon arrival.

I've contacted the Department of Justice several times but have never received a response so I'm hoping AR15.com is more communicative!

Thanks in advance.

D
View Quote

You are right.  You do not have a semi auto rifle, it's a bolt action.  Unfortunately the law enforcement may not realize that.  The only other issue may be if the lower is banned by name, but since you are from the UK it probably isn't.  10 round mags only.  

Look up a site called CalGuns.net.  They have a flow chart that I think is legit.  At least I used it when I lived in CA.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:30:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I doubt the Ca DoJ would answer a question like that sight unseen.  CalGuns has flow charts which go through the assault weapon laws.  As noted, there were some items which were banned by name and it might be a simple coincidence but if you have an item on that list as the basic receiver, etc., even if no longer in the same configuration. even if non-semi now, there could be confusion.  I'll assume you have already determined whatever hoops need jumping for importation or at least transportation through Customs.  That might suggest overall length and barrel length are acceptable?  I'd also expect that whatever casing you use for air transport will be suitable for vehicle transport.  Since you are arriving in CA, you'll likely drive through CA, Nevada and maybe a touch of Arizona to get to Utah - or fly direct.  While the state laws may vary, like Ca., has different rules for a rifle (long guns) as compared to pistols or assault weapons (per our definitions), one would always be safe observing federal laws for traveling with a firearm.  Basically, unloaded, locked and stored out of reach of the passenger compartment.  I believe not visible from outside is part of the Fed requirement but even if not, would certainly be a good idea.  Once you leave Customs, there is no reason to expect anyone would be checking your baggage or contents.  Short of an incident like an accident, or something like that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not semi auto here either, so just check to make sure it's not banned by name and you are gtg.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all.

The large dog-leg charging handle sticking out the side is hopefully a good indication that it's not a 'normal' and fore-stalls any assault-weapon related questions from customs.

Length is all good due to the 20 inch barrel. My Olympic Arms AR and SBR are staying in the safe in the UK.

Good point on transiting through other states to get to Utah, I'll check out the state regulations.

Regards,

D
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#5]
No gas port and you're GTG.  It's straight pull, not semi at that point.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not semi auto here either, so just check to make sure it's not banned by name and you are gtg.
View Quote
I've seen a video of an LAPD copchick identifying an SKS (standard fix mag type) as an "AK47", so I'm not sure that fact it is legal will prevent issues.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Risk is in the field with LE who do not know better (or more likely airport security).

That is enough to get you arrested and your firearm seized but after paying the lawyer fees you will prevail.

Carry your manufactures documentation on this rifle with it showing it was assembled as a bolt action and be very polite and patient with all those low paid airport types. Being polite, not nervous, and exuding confidence will get you through most of the time without getting the back room treatment.

Get argumentative and pushy and the offended employee will have enough to make your life difficult and be able to blame you for having a rifle that looks like the real thing.

In California we are always shooting and killing our teenage boys playing with their airsoft rifles, and mostly it comes down to attitude that sets the initial contact. The LE gets away with it because it looked real.

Same thing here if your rifle looks real.

People like to be treated respectfully!!!!

........and welcome to California where a great American Author named Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) said we had the best government you can buy-and he was sure as $sheetin telling the truth about that. Many of our richest state residents are people associated with our government.

......but the weather is really really nice.....you will see and really appreciate that part of CA....
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#8]
My understanding is that even assault-weapon ARs can be transported as long as they are split into the upper and lower halfs (no source on this).  But, it is a very clear sign to any LE that might pull you over that the gun is not is a condition ready to be fired.

And remember, 10 round mags.  If they are blocked mags with bodies over 10 rnds (i.e. 20 or 30 rnd pmag), then they need to be PERMANENTLY blocked.  Unfortunately, there is not ruling right now as to what is "permanent", so use your best judgement.

Don't transport the rifle loaded.  Loaded mags are okay, just not in the gun.

Other than that, enjoy your trip, and get from LA to not-California as fast as the speed limit allows.    Trust me, you'll enjoy your vacation better in a free state
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top