Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2017 6:32:31 PM EDT
Im ashamed to ask? Ive bee all Over the area but never Joshua Tree... I can tell you what area of the Mojave you were in with a picture but Joshua tree might as well be a foreign planet.

My Daughter (17) is a Sophomore in College. I am more than proud of her accomplishment, it does however come with a great amount of stress. Most kids in her class age have traveled off to typical spring break locations, she is too young and really too shy, complete opposite of me!

She did ask for some time away and wants to go to Joshua tree with Dad...

We (I) dont need an established site, though water and head my be nice for her if available?

Were planning on heading out next weekend?

What do I need to know about Joshua tree?

Im okay with turn at the icy road signs and turn left at the split. Worst is I have to spend an extra night out. best is I can continue with my 2wd made it just as far as you stories...lol

Is this a good time of year? Any Camp locations that are good? Anywhere we should stay away from? I presume the snakes are showing up about now?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:19:30 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not too warm yet.  I take a church group out on day trips each Lent and we've seen snakes twice.  Non- venomous.  Not sure if that's good or bad luck. Since we went on weekends during the earlyish spring/late winter with decent weather, camp sites were signed as full up on arrival Sat AMs and probably Friday nights..  I'd think that if you go out other than weekends, less an issue.  As suggested, camping in BLM areas may be a possibility as well.  In the past I've camped in the Jumbo Rocks, Sheep Pass and Indian Cove campgrounds.  Hidden Valley is convenient, too.  It's also pretty close to some of the other points of interest.  These are easily reached from the north side, going east on 62 from the I-10 near Palm Springs..  You pass Black Rock Canyon Campground going through Yucca Valley but while it may be available, it seems from looking down on it via Google that it's not very inviting compared to other sites I've been too and it's not in the main park road area.  Indian Cove is entered off Highway 62 somewhat farther east than Park Bl.  It's pretty convenient to some of the local services/shopping if needed compared to other campgrounds in the main section of the park but also not on the main park road.  But it's a pretty interesting area.  There may still be some water flowing down Rattlesnake Canyon.  There are essentially no services in the Park.  No water, no stores, etc.  Water is available at the entry Ranger Stations.  I'd suggest taking in water jugs, bottled water and enough that you don't have to drive back out to get more.  How much you might need would depend on both drinking needs, extra just in case water and what you might need for cooking/clean-up.

The Park website has a lot of information and there are other sites with a lot of info, too.  Cell phones don't work in the interipr of the park.  Not quite sure where you lose service, they do work in the community of Joshua Tree and near the entry station  They don't work at Hidden Valley.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:14:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Weather is still good and it's a pretty good wildflower season right now.  Either of which can make finding a camp site in the park difficult.  Both can fill it up.  Arriving Tuesdays or Wednesdays, seems to be the best bet for finding something in the Park  If roughing it is acceptable, as Paul says you can camp just about anywhere on BLM land.  You can shoot on most of it, too. Subject to some location restrictions.  Check the BLM web sites.

Water is available at the Park entrances and there is a relatively decent market in 29 Palms.  Not a First Class Super Market, but it will do to support a camping trip.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:42:04 AM EDT
[#5]
The mines are awesome.

The campsite reservations are loooong gone.  There are some first-come first-serve sites.

I am told the campsites by the popular climbing spots can get a little loud at night.

No fires outside the permitted sites within the park, but no problem on BLM land.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#6]
The first responder pretty much nailed it.  I frequent JT as well.  

As to snakes, they are out.  In the past few weeks I've been to Elk Hills and the Ft Irwin areas.  Had a nice looking Diamond Back slither past my feet at Elk Hills, and saw several that had been run over at Ft Irwin.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Check availability of the campsites if you want to be in the Park proper. The last two weekends with Coachella Fest they were full. Stagecoach is Apr 28 – Apr 30, 2017.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top