Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2017 9:27:14 PM EDT
Co-worker, a USMC NCO, agreed to buy my KelTec RFB bullpup .308. He had wanted one for years.

We agreed on a price, and I had the rifle mailed down to me.

He offers me a partial payment, but I tell him to hold onto his money until I can hand him the rifle, and not just the box and accessories.

The rifle arrives last night, I call him and tell him, and he is very happy.

Today, he tells me he has to back out.  He got orders last week for 29 Palms. He has been researching gun ownership all week and asked the armorer of his new unit about the laws in Commiefornia.

He was told that rifles have to be 30 inches long cannot have a detachable magazine.

P.S. Even though he did back out of the deal, he was decent enough to reimburse me for postage and insurance to get the rifle down here.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes and no. California's laws are in a bit of limbo at the moment because there were new laws that went into effect, as well as new laws coming into effect in the very near future, and the State's DOJ has flip flopped on some stances.

What can be said for certain is that if it is semi-auto it would need to be 30" or longer. If its semi-auto ability is disabled, such as by removing of gas piston or closing gas port, then Federal lengths apply.

As for the magaxine, it wouldn't be an issue if the rifle we're modified to be what we know as featureless. This is similar in concept to the old ban era rifles that we're sold without any evil features - although our features are different from the Clinton ban features. So the threaded barrel would be fine, but the pistol grip is not. A simple kydex wrap that closes off the back potion of the grip is sufficient but a thumbhole stock is not. Again the threaded barrel is fine, as are muzzle brakes, but flash suppressors are not. I can go into more detail if your friend is still interested to continue forward.

There is also some ability to bring weapons normally considered assault weapons into the state if you're being stationed here but it is my understanding they can't legally leave the base without alterations. He also has the ability to modify, such as by disabling semi-auto as mentioned before or storing it in multiple pieces, and then traveling out of state for use.

TLDR - it CAN be made legal but it sounds like it's more hassle than he wants to deal with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top