Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2017 2:00:38 PM EDT
Am I mis-reading the DMV web site?  It implies I cannot register my car in CA, ever.

I bought the car, a 2012 Ford Escape; AWD; Flex Fuel, a few years ago while living in another State.  It's been a good car and recently passed all the emissions tests in the other State.  When I moved here, I brought it with me (towed it on a trailer).  Now, I finally have the time to register it and get it insured locally.  

I was reading the CA DMV web site about what's required and it implies my car cannot be registered here, ever.  The sticker under the hood has no statement about being "49 State Compliant" or "50 State Compliant", hence, it cannot be registered.  Does that sound correct?  

What else can I check to see if it's compliant (other than the sticker under the hood)?  What's the next step?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:07:59 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not new.  Assuming you have sufficient mileage on it and it was registered in the state you moved from.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoting Featureless:[/b]
It's not new.  

2012 Ford

Assuming you have sufficient mileage on it  -

It has tens of thousands of miles on it

and it was registered in the state you moved from.

Yes, the registration is still valid.

So, what comes next?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Since it's not considered a "new" vehicle, the new vehicle registration/certification issues (as in you can't register a "new" vehicle that isn't compliant) don't apply.  These are to keep folks from buying out of state/country vehicles without actually having been a resident/user of the vehicle in the originally registered location, etc.  Not to keep someone from bringing their old car with them when they move to Ca.  You still have to go through the transfer of registration process, perhaps do a Ca title as well.  

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

And there is this:
http://www.fleet.ford.com/programs/emission-guides/

So you'll still need to get it smog checked and get the registration application started even if you don't necessarily have all the paperwork ready yet.  This will avoid penalty fees for not registering in a timely fashion after establishing residence.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, thanks Featureless, I you have figured this out for me.

The sticker under my hood does not look like or have statements like those shown on the DMV web site.  However, the vehicle is certified as a ULEV in California.  ULEV = ultra low emission vehicle.  That's good.

I also now have a copy of the CA EPA ARB cert for my car.  

I think I'm good to go.

Now, where is my "pink slip"???    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top