Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2017 3:44:13 PM EDT
So I'm looking at possibly being stationed in California. It seems that there are a number of active USPSA , IDPA, and 3 gun matches in So Cal, but how does this work with all the crazy gun laws y'all have? I've watched several videos (only a few months old) where people obviously have mags much larger than 10 rounds and don't seem to have any sort of "bullet button".... Soooo do people just not care and its just widely accepted that everyone just has all this stuff?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated because I want to participate in these matches, but I also don't want ATF or whoever to come and arrest me or get pulled over and have CHP search my vehicle and find all my goodies.

Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pRv63kBcSU
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The high cap ban has not yet kicked in.  At this time, those who owned high cap mags before 1 Jan, 2001 can still possess and use them.  That will end soon.  

At this time, previously-registered assault weapons don't have to have Bullet Buttons and can use detachable magazines.  

Be careful, as a newbie to the State, you probably don't qualify under either of those.

There are exemptions for law enforcement officers and military under some circumstances.  But for military, I believe it takes written CO approval (or some such).

Despite all that crap, this is a wonderful place and if you are stationed here, there are many, many opportunities to shoot - too many.  You'll love it!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been stationed out at Pendleton before, but I was a PFC at the time w/o any money haha. I've accumulated a few toys since then and would like to come out and play, but I'm interested to see how everyone is going to react to all these new laws coming into effect. I'm kind of hoping that everyone just ignores it and says "I won't tell if you don't"... I guess we'll see.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm kind of hoping that everyone just ignores it and says "I won't tell if you don't"... I guess we'll see.
View Quote
For my part, I don't play the game that fast or loose with these types of laws, as we are dealing with zealots here.  

It pisses me off because their zealotry has infringed on my Constitutional rights.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in the camp of fuck them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I had plenty of "stuff" when I lived in the inland empire but shot in 3 gun or tactical matches in the CA Legal class.  Sometimes I was lonely in that class with up to 80 other shooters but I had nightmares about the CHP or someone showing up at matches with Paddy Wagons to haul us all away.  Paranoid I know, but it was just a game.  

One day I may write a book:

My Life in California - or - How I Learned to Love the Mini-14.

Have you seen my videos?

Ruger Mini14 3-gun rifle match run and gun
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:33:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So I'm looking at possibly being stationed in California. It seems that there are a number of active USPSA , IDPA, and 3 gun matches in So Cal, but how does this work with all the crazy gun laws y'all have? I've watched several videos (only a few months old) where people obviously have mags much larger than 10 rounds and don't seem to have any sort of "bullet button".... Soooo do people just not care and its just widely accepted that everyone just has all this stuff?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated because I want to participate in these matches, but I also don't want ATF or whoever to come and arrest me or get pulled over and have CHP search my vehicle and find all my goodies.

Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pRv63kBcSU
View Quote

OP...I think you have your answer.
What happens at Pala, stays at Pala.

I compete in IDPA, USPSA, steel matches, and a few carbine matches there when I'm at my place in Vista.

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#8]
At all of the matches I've shot in CA, everyone just looked the other way.  From what I'm hearing now, that's changing with the new laws coming into play.  I've been shooting Single Stack for a few years knowing it was a mater of time before this kicked in.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:06:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I had the same questions when I moved here.  I just decided not to ask.  I play by the rules, ten rounders with bullet button AR, ten round mags in handguns and no more than ten rounds in the shotgun.

The club I shoot at just announced everyone will be limited to ten round mags in July.  One match is creating a division for those that still have standard capacity mags.  As far as I know that will only be active LE.

Although the laws are restrictive, I shoot in more matches here than I ever did in Florida.  I shoot in up to three a month.  Suck at all three, but I shoot in them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#10]
The club I shoot at made an announcement that starting in July the 3 Gun matches will be shot only with 10 round mags .
If you can still legally posses +10 mags ( LE or Hi cap mag permit) you can only load 10 rounds .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top