Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2017 10:48:37 AM EDT
I have a pistol that a buyer in CA wants to purchase.  He said his FFL will accept from me with a copy of my DL and also wants a letter saying its a gift worth $0.00....so he doesnt have to pay tax.  Is this legal with CA and whats up with the gift thing?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You said he offered to "buy" it.  Tax evasion is what that's called.  That's bad juju, and for what; to save a few pennies.

If the gun is on the "roster of approved handguns", he can buy it in CA.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You said he offered to "buy" it.  Tax evasion is what that's called.  That's bad juju, and for what; to save a few pennies.

If the gun is on the "roster of approved handguns", he can buy it in CA.
View Quote
Yeah the tax thing had me like . But if i can send to ffl as individual ill be good
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#3]
You are good to go on shipping it.

CA requires the FFL to charge sales tax, so lots of people write gift to say fuck off to CA. But that's your call not his IMO.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Uh.. no need to write out the gift receipt - a purchase from a private party (as opposed to new stock from a dealer) is already exempt from sales tax.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top