Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2017 1:16:00 AM EDT
I have a Springfield M1A that is in a Sage EBR M14ALCS/CV stock. So it has a pistol grip, collapsible buttstock, and flash suppressor in addition to the removable box magazine. If I were to swap out the magazine catch for a bullet button type mag catch such as this one at Fulton Armory then would it be legal in California? These new rules have me confused so any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Doubt it.  It seems questionable even under the prior state of the law.  Now (selling, converting, manufacturing, etc.) it must be featureless or compliant to the new mag laws.

If it were me, I'd throw an M1a or M14 stock on it and be sure the muzzle device was Ca. compliant and not look back.  But I'm not a firearms lawyer and it seems that someone might want to consult one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. It's probably more prudent to leave it in original factory condition in order to be 100% sure that it is ok.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. It's probably more prudent to leave it in original factory condition in order to be 100% sure that it is ok.
View Quote

Are you in California or moving here?

A standard M1A is not legal in California due to its flash hider.  This can be replaced with a CA-compliant muzzle brake.

No magazines more than ten rounds are allowed.

Bullet button devices are/soon to be banned unless you register the rifle.

What we really need is a separate tacked thread that has nothing but the two flow charts which help users identify if they are legal.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you in California or moving here?

A standard M1A is not legal in California due to its flash hider.  This can be replaced with a CA-compliant muzzle brake.

No magazines more than ten rounds are allowed.

Bullet button devices are/soon to be banned unless you register the rifle.

What we really need is a separate tacked thread that has nothing but the two flow charts which help users identify if they are legal.
View Quote

I'm stationed at Camp Pendleton. I have a M1A Scout Squad which has a California compliant muzzle brake from Springfield Inc rather than the GI flash hider. I was under the impression that the Sage EBR was fine with a bullet button prior to the new law but not sure about now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#5]
This interest me as I have a friend out there in the military as well
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Questions on compliance and configurations are pretty well hashed out on forums, CalGuns, and a variety of sites.  (And fubared out there on the web, as well).

For the military folks stationed in Ca, there are some provisions for getting a permit to have a so-called military assault wapon can be found here:  https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs#8

Go to the bottom of the page.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top