Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2017 10:46:17 PM EDT
I'm going to screw and loc-tite a hex-keyed plug into my current bullet button.

No way to remove the magazine without significant work.  Rifle must be opened to load magazine from the top.

Satisfies everybody, you think?

I'm really not wanting to spend ANOTHER amount of money on bullet button du jour.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:50:42 AM EDT
[#2]
A question remains, why do you have two have two NRA flair, yet I only have one

As I understand it, the intent is to require the disassembly of the firearm by removing an assembly pin, thus reloading the magazine once the firearm is disassembled.

It sounds legal.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:13:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A question remains, why do you have two have two NRA flair, yet I only have one

As I understand it, the intent is to require the disassembly of the firearm by removing an assembly pin, thus reloading the magazine once the firearm is disassembled.

It sounds legal.
View Quote

I'm a special snowflake.

Yeah--you get what I'm trying to do.  If I can satisfy the bullshit "must open weapon to load" policy without spending MORE money to clusterfuck my mag release, I'd rather do that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#4]
The cheapest possible way to do this -

Remove the magazine release button
Install a washer and self-locking nut on bare, threaded end of magazine release
Install a ten round magazine
Tighten nut until mag release in inoperable
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I disagree.

The law is pretty clear, requires partial disassembly to remove the magazine. Even with red loctite, a torch tip and a small socket driver acting as the mag release and you could change mags without separating the upper and lower. It's my understanding that that is why the new bullet button has the plug press fit in.

I don't think it's legal, but then again, I'm not a lawyer.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I disagree.

The law is pretty clear, requires partial disassembly to remove the magazine. Even with red loctite, a torch tip and a small socket driver acting as the mag release and you could change mags without separating the upper and lower. It's my understanding that that is why the new bullet button has the plug press fit in.

View Quote

In what universe would your procedure not constitute "partial disassembly".  I don't understand where you are coming from with this.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]
You could buy one of the two replacement mag releases that requires the rifle to be cracked
Open.

This allows for:

Pistol grip

Flash hider

Bayonet lug

Collapsible stock, etc.

Epoxy it in and take pics, showing the step-by-step process, just in case.

Then you can travel to and from the range with the bolt removed, because, I am told
Doing that means you don't have an assault rifle: belt and suspenders approach...
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In what universe would your procedure not constitute "partial disassembly".  I don't understand where you are coming from with this.
View Quote

Damn woman get back on your meds
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:21:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I disagree.

View Quote

I see your point.  By the letter of the law, you would be correct.  However: the Bullet Button 2 can change a mag within 10 seconds by even a novice shooter.  My method absolutely does not.  Put me in that courtroom with my rifle against an "approved" rifle and see who changes mags quicker.

I'm tired of spending $40 bucks at a time--for multiple rifles--for the latest "legal" version of what should be a $5 part.  I've had enough.

If a BLM agent wants to grief me for not having a BB2 on there, I'll just hand him my rifle and a spare mag.  "Go ahead: change it.  I'll count."

This shit is getting ridiculous, and I'm not going to help make one more person rich for some bullshit device that satisfies the current exact letter of the law, just so I can shoot worry-free until Gavin gets in office, and puts his spin on anti-AR law.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Damn woman get back on your meds
View Quote

LOL!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Jumping through hoops...I'm converting my BB equipped rifles to featureless.  Until featureless is outlawed.  Probably register a few BB just because.  Maybe.

Been doing this for a while.  I have registered assault weapons, featureless builds, bullet button equipped builds and I even have the old FAB10 builds (fixed blind mag, tilt open to reload from stripper clips).  The tilt open designs are good but being able to use a mag release is much nicer and quicker and safer. 
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The tilt open designs are good but being able to use a mag release is much nicer and quicker and safer. 
View Quote

I have always felt hinging the upper on just the front pin was risky.  It seems the hinge is weak and risks breaking the lower upper, especially if it's a heavy barreled upper.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd be more concerned about the lower around the front takedown pin. 
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:57:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, you're correct.  My mistake was trying to think and type at the same time (walk and chew bubble gum is often challenging for me, too).

Either way, that hinge was not designed for that type of stress/loading.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You could buy one of the two replacement mag releases that requires the rifle to be cracked
Open.

This allows for:

Pistol grip

Flash hider

Bayonet lug

Collapsible stock, etc.

Epoxy it in and take pics, showing the step-by-step process, just in case.

Then you can travel to and from the range with the bolt removed, because, I am told
Doing that means you don't have an assault rifle: belt and suspenders approach...
View Quote
Once again: A bayonet lug is not considered an 'evil' feature.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I understand what you are tired of concerning the AR laws, we just can't let Newsom in the Governors chair. This Utube video might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29DEsEXj0M

Just in case you change your mind. We can't let Newsom in!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#17]
When is the deadline for these conversions, July, January,...???
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I think it is July for the magazine part but really not sure, I know the registration for assault weapon is by 1 Jan 2018 but if you go featureless you don't need to register as an AW. Featureless with an 80% lower is the way to go. The ironic thing is that I also own a KelTec SU16CA, .223/5/56 Semi-Auto, takes regular AR mags, forestock becomes a bi-pod and I don't need a BB because it doesn't have a pistol grip. What makes the SU16 any less lethal than a fixed mag AR? I also have a TROY PAR, looks just like an AR except it is a pump.  When I get noticed at the range, with the PAR, is going to be a great day to make a fool out or someone!!!!!!!!

A
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think it is July for the magazine part but really not sure, I know the registration for assault weapon is by 1 Jan 2018 but if you go featureless you don't need to register as an AW. Featureless with an 80% lower is the way to go. The ironic thing is that I also own a KelTec SU16CA, .223/5/56 Semi-Auto, takes regular AR mags, forestock becomes a bi-pod and I don't need a BB because it doesn't have a pistol grip. What makes the SU16 any less lethal than a fixed mag AR? I also have a TROY PAR, looks just like an AR except it is a pump.  When I get noticed at the range, with the PAR, is going to be a great day to make a fool out or someone!!!!!!!!

A
View Quote
As I understand it, to remain legal, all 80% lowers require a DOJ issued serial number and subsequent background check and registration under the "Ghost Gun" law.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#20]
You're correct, OpError.  Legally, building an 80% lower based rifle in California requires registration.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:27:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I have two lever rifles. Those are going to be my rifles now going forward. I am getting out of ARs. I have all my 5.56 ammo up for sale and I am going to put my AR up for sale as soon as my Franklin DFG arrives so I can legally advertise it. It's just not worth it to me anymore to keep trying to comply with all this fucking bullshit. I'm selling it and buying a new target bow.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:13:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You're correct, OpError.  Legally, building an 80% lower based rifle in California requires registration.
View Quote
From my understanding, if you built one pre 2017 and put a serial number on it pre 2018, no need to tell CA nothing as long as it stays featureless.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

From my understanding, if you built one pre 2017 and put a serial number on it pre 2018, no need to tell CA nothing as long as it stays featureless.
View Quote
Fuck I don't know anymore.  When the CRPA did the original 2 hour + webinar on the coming changes they specifically stated that all 80% would eventually require a DOJ issued serial number even if you already have your own serial number.  I've seen other sources online that support your position.  The newest CRPA webinar that addresses AB857 is linked below.  To listen to it you will have to supply your name and e-mail only, phone numbers are not required. 

The webinar is titled:

New "Assault Weapon" Regulations Webinar

It is NOT the one with "AB857" in the title.  AB857 info starts @ 1:38:00

CRPA webinars
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#25]
These new laws really have me bugged.  I'm not sure what to and when to do it.

That they do infringe on my Constitutional rights is not even a question.

I really like several of the compliance options people have developed and are marketing.  I will end up patronizing one or some of them.  My hat's off to them, thank you.  

I am just very unhappy this is needed, at all.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm not a lawyer. This is my current understanding as I read the text of the bill.

Basically, starting January 1, 2018 you will be required to contact the DOJ BEFORE you begin a build to have a background check and be given a serial number.

As of January 1, 2019 ALL firearms other than a number of exceptions like C&R longguns, unloaded antiques, DDs, etc will require one of two types of identifying information - either a state issued identifying mark or markings pursuant to Title 26 of the federal regulations.

So it's my understanding that IF you make your receiver prior to January 1, 2018 AND mark your homemade gun according to Title 26, then it will not require registration.

So if you only put a serial number, or mark it with an electro pencil, or leave information like your name off of it, or do anything else that fails to meet the full criteria of ATF marking as per a manufacturer, then uou will need to get the serial from the state DOJ. Again, I'm not a lawyer, that's just what I understood the bill to say.

Of interest to note is that C&R longguns are exempt but not C&R handguns so it sounds like a C&R handgun without serial will need to be engraved unless it has sufficient markings to track it. Also, the bill notes making and assembling separately, which means there could be a requirement for someone who buys a stripped receiver from an FFL to get a serial number as a builder and put that on as well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm not a lawyer. This is my current understanding as I read the text of the bill.

Basically, starting January 1, 2018 you will be required to contact the DOJ BEFORE you begin a build to have a background check and be given a serial number.

As of January 1, 2019 ALL firearms other than a number of exceptions like C&R longguns, unloaded antiques, DDs, etc will require one of two types of identifying information - either a state issued identifying mark or markings pursuant to Title 26 of the federal regulations.

So it's my understanding that IF you make your receiver prior to January 1, 2018 AND mark your homemade gun according to Title 26, then it will not require registration.

So if you only put a serial number, or mark it with an electro pencil, or leave information like your name off of it, or do anything else that fails to meet the full criteria of ATF marking as per a manufacturer, then uou will need to get the serial from the state DOJ. Again, I'm not a lawyer, that's just what I understood the bill to say.

Of interest to note is that C&R longguns are exempt but not C&R handguns so it sounds like a C&R handgun without serial will need to be engraved unless it has sufficient markings to track it. Also, the bill notes making and assembling separately, which means there could be a requirement for someone who buys a stripped receiver from an FFL to get a serial number as a builder and put that on as well.
View Quote
For someone self-marking a receiver, can you go over the requirements?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm at work and can't look it up right now, but it on the ATF webpage and outlined in one of their FAQs.

From memory, markings were required to be .030 deep minimum with a height of at least 1/8" in an unobscured area on the receiver, so not under the pistol grip but it could be on the underside of the magwell lip but not in the magwell where the magazine would cover it.

They required the manufacturers name, location, a model number, caliber designation, and a unique serial number. If I remember right only alpha numeric symbols could be used, so no Russian, Japanese, etc characters.

Manufacturers are also required to keep a log book and pay a fee per each gun made. So to meet the legal definition it MAY require reporting to the ATF by filling out what is known as a form 1. It's a hassle but right now I think I'd be more inclined to report to the ATF than the CA DOJ.

ETA: fuck smart phones are stupid. Sorry for any misspelled words, jumbled letters, or buggered accronyms.

Also, looks like I got it slightly wrong. It's. 003 minimum depth and 1/16 minimum height.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top