Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2017 5:14:37 PM EDT
Hello all,

I have read the CA primers and have been perusing the forums to find if my question has already been asked and answered.  I have found one response that MAY answer but wanted to throw the specific question out there.  My family is undertaking a 6 month multistate camping tour.  We will be spending 6 weeks in California.  I can CCW everywhere we are traveling except Colorado and California.  In Colorado I can possess my firearms without issue if they are secured.  I have been on the CA DOJ website and as I read it, as long as I am not prohibited I can possess in my vehicle a handgun as long as it is secured in a lock box, unloaded.  

Penal Code - PEN
PART 6. CONTROL OF DEADLY WEAPONS [16000 - 34370]  ( Part 6 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )
TITLE 4. FIREARMS [23500 - 34370]  ( Title 4 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )
DIVISION 5. CARRYING FIREARMS [25300 - 26405]  ( Division 5 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )
CHAPTER 2. Carrying a Concealed Firearm [25400 - 25700]  ( Chapter 2 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6.
ARTICLE 4. Other Exemptions [25600 - 25655]  ( Article 4 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )
(a) Section 25400 shall not be construed to prohibit any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state, and who is not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a firearm, from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that the following applies to the firearm:

(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle.

(2) The firearm is carried by the person directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while carrying the firearm, the firearm is contained within a locked container.

(b) The provisions of this section do not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful carrying or transportation of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in accordance with the provisions listed in Section 16580.
View Quote

My question has to do with handgun roster.  I can not find my Smith and Wesson M&P Full Size 9mm 4.25" slide and standard (Non Stainless and Polymer) M&P Shield 9mm.  Now in my couple of hour reading of the board I saw one answer to a question about Handgun roster that stated that the handgun roster is just for PURCHASE in the state of California.  If I am traveling in the state can I have a Non Listed firearm?  I looked at the Handgun Flowchart and went through all the bubbles and believe my firearms to be LEGAL.  

I will be shipping my 15 round magazines to a Buddy in Idaho where I am heading when we leave California heading North East.

I really appreciate you taking the time to read this.  If anyone has any other comments please feel free.  Our trip is taking us from San Diego all the way north to the Red Woods then east to Yosemite and up to Lake Tahoe.  

f_m
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The handgun roster only applies to what is available FOR SALE to residents of California.  It is a list of new handguns that are legal to offer for sale in California.  

The roster does not apply in any way to what a visitor or soon to be residents can bring with them.

DO NOT BRING MAGAZINES THAT CAN HOLD MORE THAN TEN ROUNDS.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The state has a condensed guide to firearms laws.  It might be a good idea if really concerned to check back against the references

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/pdf/cfl2016.pdf

Note page 7 and thereabouts covers much of what you are interested in.  Except for the "it's legal except for where it isn't legal" sort of language.  I've lived in Ca pretty much all my life and never had any kind of inkling that this is a problem - that is, traveling or camping with guns.  What you won't see in most, any?, organized campsites are people packing.  So if you don't stand out, it's just unlikely to be an issue.  Strap on a hogleg in a state park campground "Because this is the way we do it in New York City!" and you might get some negativity.  They don't search cars at borders, don't ruffle through your gear or trunk entering state parks, etc.  I don't really recall them even asking at any state or federal parks for years, if at all.  There are some areas where theft from unoccupied vehicles could be a problem, usually isolated parking areas and they are usually signed.  

I do some living history and a group wanted to go Old Town San Diego dressed old west for the fun of it and I reminded them that it was a state park, to not go heeled (even unloaded) and the dummies did.  I didn't because, I really thought everyone knows you don't carry guns in state parks.  The interpreter showed up pretty quick (Interpreters aren't rangers, not LEOs, do history, nature programs, etc.).  It was clear what his issue was.  He introduced himself as an Interpreter and smart-ass me asked him "What languages?"  I showed him I wasn't wearing anything under my frock coat.  Uh, wasn't wearing gun leather or shooting irons, that is.  And then stepped away to watch the fun.  All he did was given them a semi-stern talking to and made them put everything back in their cars.  No arrests, no citations, no blood in the streets.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd like to hear your CA itinerary- sounds like a fun trip.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd like to hear your CA itinerary- sounds like a fun trip.
View Quote

Stalker...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top