BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Regarding 80% receiver builds.  After issuing you a serial number for a rifle, is the Cal DOJ allowed to retain these serial numbers?

Are there rules for affixing the serial number to the receiver, scribe method, depth, character width?

What if you already put a serial number on the receiver, can that number be used?
View Quote

The regs on engraving are explained in detail in the recorded webinar.  Specifics on character size, depth and methods.  There are some legal questions involved, the NRA and CRPA are trying to clear them up.  Lets just say that according to CRPA the CA DOJ is telling 80% builders to violate federal law.  And as to your own serial number, no, you will be required to add an additional DOJ issued serial number.

Yes it's a pretty good bet that the DOJ will keep records.  Since 2014 all firearms transfers have to go through DROS, all firearms are registered.  It only seems logical that if the DOJ issues a SN that they will keep a record.

Remember too that with registration they WILL run a background check.  And ALL 80% require a DOJ issued serial number to comply with the law, featureless builds still need a number to cover the "Ghost gun" law.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
You really should watch the webinar when you get a chance.  It's tedious and long but there is a ton of info and specifics in there.  But I can point you to a few specific points of interest.

Flash Suppressors   57:39
Overall Length     1:07:00
80% Builds          1:38:00
Engraving Specs  1:42:50
Potential conflicts with federal law in regards to engraving  1:40:45

Also they specifically mentioned that kydex wraps are still good to go in regards to featureless builds.

I am still very concerned about the overall length change.  In the webinar you can see that the lawyer states that there was no change and didn't understand why it was included in the new rules.  But there is a very obvious change from past practices.  I attempted twice to point out the change but got no response.  It's a big deal.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Please post a link to the webinar recording.  I looked for 10 minutes and did not find it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you will have to register but maybe not.  It's just your name and e-mail.  Phone number and company are not required.

http://crpa.org/webinars/

This one is "New Assault Weapon Regulations".
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think you will have to register but maybe not.  It's just your name and e-mail.  Phone number and company are not required.

http://crpa.org/webinars/

This one is "New Assault Weapon Regulations".
View Quote
I keep seeing a bad media issue.  Something broke or it's not loaded yet

I've tried the ammo ban and it works.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#6]
What browser?

eta There were reported issues with explorer. I have used firefox and safari with no issues. And whatever is on this android thing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What browser?

eta There were reported issues with explorer. I have used firefox and safari with no issues. And whatever is on this android thing.
View Quote
My laptop at home it works, which is today.  My work computer it didn't as of yesterday, so I'll try next week.  My work computer is an older computer I brought in.

Firefox for both

EDIT: It now runs on the work computer.  Must have been a file/format issue
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Love it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is my idea of civil disobedience --

1) mail your bullet button to CalDOJ or Gov Brown, with a little note attached saying something like ..."HELL NO!"
A few thousand bullet buttons showing up on their door step might raise an eye brow.

2)Troll the DOJ AW registration website (out of state people can help) ...registrant name: john doe, various random pictures uploaded
Over load the system with fake accounts.

Love it.

I have a couple I just removed I could send.  I would be happy to never see them again!
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#9]
That's just marvelous......I don't know how to take and electronic pic and computer wise move it to the screen with my form!!!
Do they think we all have PHD's in computer science?

Impala
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's just marvelous......I don't know how to take and electronic pic and computer wise move it to the screen with my form!!!
Do they think we all have PHD's in computer science?

Impala
View Quote

I know a couple of older guys that own qualifying weapons and still use film cameras, have basic cellphones (no cameras or Internet), and no computers (much less image scanners and the like).  WTF are they supposed to do?  The DOJ is trying to say that you can only register if you meet a minimum technological threshold.  Even without that the requirements are onerous.  And of course, it's trying to create new regulations that the law gave it no authority to make.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top