Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2016 6:52:41 PM EDT
I asked a month or so ago about traveling through CA with a gun. (That thread is Here).

I was planning to fly to Las Vegas, drive to CA, then drive back to Vegas to fly home. Or I could save some miles and just fly out of LAX instead. But I'd have to check a handgun. I fly with guns pretty regularly, but I haven't ever tried it in CA.

Anything special I need to know? Any difficulty checking handguns in LAX beyond the usual federal requirements?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#1]
State law says no magazines that can hold over ten rounds.

Other than that, I think interstate transport of firearms on an airline is Federally regulated.

Call the airline you plan to use.  Call twice, at different times of day and ask the same question(s)?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#2]
LAX is no different about flying with guns than any other airport.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LAX is no different about flying with guns than any other airport.
View Quote

Good to hear. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have flown from both Burbank and LAX with handguns.  Same procedure.  Unloaded, locked case, not a TSA lock if I remember correctly.  Declare it at the baggage counter, wait for the inspectors.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought they were a little more uptight about it than other places I've flow from and it may take a little longer but follow the rules and you are good to go.  It's your right, exercise it!
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Have we heard back from the OP?
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:55:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have we heard back from the OP?
View Quote

I'm flying out in February. Thanks all.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have flown from both Burbank and LAX with handguns.  Same procedure.  Unloaded, locked case, not a TSA lock if I remember correctly.  Declare it at the baggage counter, wait for the inspectors.
View Quote

Yep, lock may only be able to be opened by you.

OP, let us know how you fare once you make the trip, I'm interested in peoples experiences at LAX.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Last time I flew from LAX to INDY, believe it or not no issues at LAX but the clerk in IN was a douche
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 7:38:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Been thru LAX many times do this for sure

print out FAA/TSA regs as some TSA guys don't even know what to do

Ticketing agent will have you fill out a form that goes inside with the firearm

You must use your own lock which means you MUST be there for any inspection OR
they will cut your locks inspect then declare since it can't be locked it can't fly!!
Ask me how I know!!!  Some attendants will tell you no problem they'll
just XRAY, they are wrong!!! They'll tell you to leave your bag and go
to loading gate, again they are wrong.
You can bring mags "IF" you are attending a match, bring match entry form
declare them going  and coming with count on an Inventory sheet with said firearm
I shot steel challenge many years in Piru with hi cap mags

TSA like gun broken down if you can, I've even pulled cylinders from revolvers to make them at ease.

I always shipped ammo and mags ahead and flew with just the firearm.
You are limited on ammo, 10 lbs I believe but ck FAA regs.
You can FEDEX or UPS gun to yourself where you are staying which I've done many times.

put your approved.locked gun case in your regular luggage after inspection in front
of the TSA guys. Keeps baggage handlers honest.

Safe flying.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Things went well at check-in. No different than any other airport I've brought guns through.

Declared guns, signed the form and locked it in the case (non-TSA locks). The ticket agent walked me back to the TSA "oversize" bag area. They ran the swab over the case, declared it clean, and said they did not need the case opened, and I headed off to my gate.

eta: made it home. Had to pick up my case at the baggage office, which is typical when I fly with this case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top