Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2016 12:36:52 PM EDT
ETA: I've been able to find answers for most of my questions, but I'll definitely take any wisdom on that or fishing, camping, and shooting ranges or areas within range of Chico!
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Decent chance I'm moving up to Chico next month. Interested in any suggestions as well.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
First you might like to know that Butte County is one of the easier counties in which to get a CCW.  

Fishing is primarily lake, with Oroville Reservoir being the largest.  But lake levels are down due to the current drought conditions.  There are some rivers, Feather being a good one, and many smaller creeks that hold fish.  The Calif. Fish & Game have maps and licensing info (do not buy a license until you become a legal resident of California, expensive).

Northern California has some pretty good hunting, but you would do well hooking up with locals to find good areas.

Just about any outdoor activity you can think of is available fairly close by.  It's mostly small towns in Butte, I think Chico is the largest "city".  And, Chico is a college town.  Good or bad depending on your age and desires.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info!  We're looking at Paradise and Magalia right now as we prefer smaller towns and it sounds like it gets a bit cooler in summer up the hill a bit.  

I'm not sure if I'm able to bring any ARs after Jan 1st as a new resident, but am planning on bringing my go to shotgun and bolt gun for hunting.  

I'm trying to maintain dual residency so I don't have to forfeit my OR, WA, ID, and UT concealed permits.  I will, indeed, apply for one in Butte as soon as I am eligible, whenever that is.  

We're very much looking forward to more camping and bike riding.  While I am a Northwest native, love the four seasons, and grew up snow caving, it's a bit tough to get out with the toddler in 3-18 degree winters for rides and nights outside.  While my wife will be going straight to work, I'll be working online for a while, so I'm planning on getting the daughter out camping ASAP.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you, Paul!
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:54:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Not too crazy about Chico myself. But Butte County is pretty conservative for Cali and you have great options to hunt, fish and shoot within about an hours drive.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been kind of like a yo-yo with Chico. Move back for a bit, move away, move back for a bit, move away. It's a great little town.
They just got a nice little gun shop a few years back on the north end of town too. 
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:01:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Just signed the papers for a house in Magalia today!  We've had a good bit of ice and snow up here for a couple of months now and some of the highways have been closed, but we're trying to make the move down in the next couple of weeks.  

I've purchased a few off roster pistols I want and have a M1A with a California muzzle device in the works, but this is the last chance to figure out new-resident details on ARs and a few others?  

Can anyone advise or give me the name of a reliable, trustworthy shop in Butte County that can give me the lowdown and help with me with getting my firearms in order as a new resident?  The Sheriff's office is going to start processing my CHL ASAP, but they told me to call a shop to ask about AR details for new residents.   The shop I called told me any rifle under 18" is illegal and that KSGs are out, so I need to find someone else who can give me accurate info.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#9]
What kind of soup sandwich shop did you call?  

I've had good experiences with the guys at Down Range in Chico. They seem like good people whenever I drop in.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just signed the papers for a house in Magalia today!  We've had a good bit of ice and snow up here for a couple of months now and some of the highways have been closed, but we're trying to make the move down in the next couple of weeks.  

I've purchased a few off roster pistols I want and have a M1A with a California muzzle device in the works, but this is the last chance to figure out new-resident details on ARs and a few others?  

Can anyone advise or give me the name of a reliable, trustworthy shop in Butte County that can give me the lowdown and help with me with getting my firearms in order as a new resident?  The Sheriff's office is going to start processing my CHL ASAP, but they told me to call a shop to ask about AR details for new residents.   The shop I called told me any rifle under 18" is illegal and that KSGs are out, so I need to find someone else who can give me accurate info.  

Thanks!
View Quote

Check Calguns.net for information

But the shop you talked to is full of sh*t.  16" barrel is legal, shorter barrel with pinned and welded muzzle device that brings it up to 16" is okay.  
You can not bring a standard AR into Kommiefornia as of 1-1-17.
But for now it looks like if you exchange the mag release to either a Patriot Mag Release or AR Mag Lock shop you should be good to go.  Do it before you cross the state line or you are a felon in the eyes of the state of California.  The other option is to make your AR or AR's into what is called a Featureless Rifle.  NO collapsing, telescoping, or folding stock, A2, similar or pinned is okay.  NO flash hider, compensator, or brake is okay.  NO pistol grip that you can wrap your thumb around. Standard mag release is okay on featureless.
There is a lot of info on the options on Calguns  Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated  I've converted an AR with one of the new mag locks, and am looking into featureless for another.  As a California resident who owned a bullet button rifle before 12-31-16 those are my options unless I want to register my AR with the state as an Assault Weapon with the bullet button left on.

Above all do not bring any magazine that is able to hold more than 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Are KSG's legal for sale in California?  They have two seven round magazines.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#12]
As far as I know the KSG is still legal;

Tubular magazines not detachable magazine, (detachable mag only an issue on semi-automatic)
Barrel longer than 18",
Overall length greater than 26".

Shotgun Flowchart

Rifle Flowchart
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, gang.  I will check out Down Range as soon as I get there. It had been my understanding that a new resident couldn't bring an AR into the state after Jan 1st, and as such have planned on leaving them in the Northwest, but if I can do as advised above, I will try to convert one or two with the new BB or make one featureless.   I've gone through my stuff and have all pistol and rifle mags above 10-rounds set aside, so that won't be a problem.

I've visited Calguns.net several times in the last couple of months, though it seems a bit light on info for new residents after the most recent legislation.  My plan was to bring almost nothing and leave everything in a safe at a property out of state, though if we stay in California, which we will for the foreseeable future, I don't want to forfeit anything I don't have to such as a couple of off-roster pistols that I frequently use by missing my initial window to bring them with me.   Crime rates in the area are many time higher than we are used to, which also makes me want to leave most stuff behind.

I can't recall which shop gave me that info regarding barrels and the KSG, as I called three or four, though I believe it was a shop in Paradise.  In another thread, others said KSGs were fine and another dealer on the same day said they were good to go.  It's my wife's and she likes it, so if it's a no-go, please do let me know and we'll leave it out of state.  She does have a VFG on it, which can easily be removed if that is a problem on a shotgun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As far as I know the KSG is still legal;

Tubular magazines not detachable magazine, (detachable mag only an issue on semi-automatic)
Barrel longer than 18",
Overall length greater than 26".

Shotgun Flowchart

Rifle Flowchart
View Quote

And they are pump actuated (not semi-auto).
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
..................... I don't want to forfeit anything I don't have to such as a couple of off-roster pistols ................
View Quote

off roster pistols moving to California

Check 2nd post from Librarian
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd recommend a thread protector.  I chose to go with a thread protector when I removed the flash suppressor in route to a featureless rifle.  The regulations that apply to a flash suppressor aren't entirely easily applied/followed, and I may be wrong, but believe there even may have been a court case a while back that kind of placed the matter in limbo.  There are several factors which go into determining if a brake or compensator might be considered a flash suppressor.  I figure there is going to be some added "regulation" discussion or clarification, or prosecution because the issue wasn't as big a deal before and even if your local sheriff in a rural area isn't hot and bothered, changing cities or counties might cause a bit of a problem.  I'll let someone else get their secondary sex characteristics in the old fashioned washing machine accessories.  And I think you could easily be there if the maker of a chosen compensator or brake or  "whatsis" decided to advertise that they'd found by happy coincidence that their brake also reduced flash much like a suppressor, etc.  I have no desire to be a party except possibly by donating to one of the advocacy groups to a legal action that develops around this matter nor to try to pay to go into appeals.  

Not being an lawyer but having seen some convoluted attempts at compliance with poorly written technical requirements and having had to audit compliance at times, a thread protector seems to be quite simple, cheap and effective at not changing the flash characteristics.  Here's a thread which bares a remarkable resemblance to a GD thread here which might shed some light on the reasonings I saw then and now when I recommend a thread protector.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1226260
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Good info.  Thanks!  

I called Down Range last night to ask a few questions and John (Jon?) was very helpful.  I will definitely be visiting the shop once I get there and giving them business.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#18]
When you get to town check out Safer Arms range. Right off the skyway on the south end of town, down to earth place without all the glitz and egos of Downrange.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds good - will do!    

Any recommendations on safe dealers with good selections in the area that don't involve multiple weeks of lead time are welcome.  

Doesn't have to be top of the line (or too enormous to move with a couple of guys). Rather, something good as a second safe for a rental house and whatever I bring until we get the lay of the land and decide where in the area we'd like to set down roots.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Sportsmans warehouse probably has safes in chico and Dicks might also. Kittles in Colusa has some I'm sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top