Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2016 12:48:03 AM EDT
I see no provision or requirement that magazines be riveted or sealed, only that they physically
not be able to accept more than 10 rounds, so blocked mags should be legal.
is my interpretation correct or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I also have an interest in the results here.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The modification must be permanent, but they do not define what that means. If you never plan to modify it, does that count as permanent?
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They modification must be permanent, but they do not define what that means.
View Quote

My personal definition of permanent -

An aggressively zealous law enforcement officer or district attorney could not pull the base plate, remove the block, discard the block and then stuff more than ten rounds in the magazine.  Yes, they would be tampering with evidence if this were done.  Yes, in the wake of a defensive shooting, they would do this.  The fervor on the left is growing.

I want there to be a permanent record the magazine was blocked - epoxy bond reside, rivet/screw hole,...  

I'm expecting/hoping to see magazine blocks sold commercially at some point.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

An aggressively zealous law enforcement officer or district attorney could not pull the base plate, remove the block, discard the block and then stuff more than ten rounds in the magazine.  Yes, they would be tampering with evidence if this were done.  Yes, in the wake of a defensive shooting, they would do this.  The fervor on the left is growing.

I want there to be a permanent record the magazine was blocked - epoxy bond reside, rivet/screw hole,...  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They modification must be permanent, but they do not define what that means.

Here ya go- Magazine Blocks
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#5]
The easiest way is a rivet in the front of the mag limiting the follower. A rivet is a permanent alteration that is already in writing with the DOJ going back to the FAB 10. Craig
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 1:23:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The easiest way is a rivet in the front of the mag limiting the follower. A rivet is a permanent alteration that is already in writing with the DOJ going back to the FAB 10. Craig
View Quote

I'm still wondering if a screw is an option over a rivet?  I like to strip down mags and clean out the dust, and so a rivet has cleaning issues

Link Posted: 11/13/2016 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#7]
A screw will not do. It can be removed with the simple use of tools. Craig
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Whenever I think of the ten round limit, I think about getting a bigger caliber.  

458 SOCOM is my favorite.  It's a big, heavy bullet.  There are some expanding bullets designed specifically for the cartridge.  Some are meant specifically for subsonic loads.  To me, it sounds like the 45 ACP, the 1911 version of a rifle.  

Ten rounds for self defense?  You could do a lot worse than a subsonic 458 SOCOM.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, loaded to full power, it can be a real thunper.  Light loads might be better but 300 to 400 grains is going to have a wee bit of recoil.  

I wonder if it is a good candidate for cast lead bullets loaded to subsonic speeds, perhaps with gas checks or powder coating?  Anyone know?
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nothing is permanent.

All things born die. Everything built collapses.

The law is stupid.

If I take even a short 10-round magazine .223 magazine how many .22 shorts do you think I could pour into it dumping them in forwards, backwards, or upside down?
View Quote

Or I could take a short 10 round magazine, take the baseplate off the bottom, fabricate sheetmetal extensions, weld them on and put in a 30rnd spring.
Permanence is dependent on skill, imagination and tools.

But the law isn't intended to work that way. It is to make as many law abiding gun owners into criminals as possible. It is to instill fear in us and to make things so risky and onerous that we voluntarily disarm (or leave).
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
But the law isn't intended to work that way. It is to make as many law abiding gun owners into criminals as possible. It is to instill fear in us and to make things so risky and onerous that we voluntarily disarm (or leave).
View Quote

This is the truth.  These laws are about nothing else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top