Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2016 3:21:09 AM EDT
If you're found shooting at tannerite exploding targets on BLM land by BLM agents, you will be arrested for a felony.

"Let me make sure I understand this: If I'm shooting at tannerite on BLM land, and you see me, you'll arrest me on a felony charge?"

"Let ME be clear: YES.  Please--get the word out to your friends.  We're seeing more fires started due to target shooting, and the tannerite issue has got our attention."

BLM agent at a booth at our county fair this weekend...He's a shooter, wanted to get the message out to others that shoot.  He suckered me in with a bunch of tannerite on his table, which is why he placed it there.

Photo of legalese provided for my reading pleasure...BLM agent in uniform in background.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Considering that a dry ice bomb is a "destructive device" under the penal code and is a felony charge, how is this a surprise?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#2]
This is a good public service announcement.  Thanks.

It does not surprise me at all but it may be news to others.  It could save them from a felony charge.  THAT is a BIG deal.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Considering that a dry ice bomb is a "destructive device" under the penal code and is a felony charge, how is this a surprise?
View Quote
I didn't know this either

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Penal Code 12303 used to deal with the definitions of a destructive device.   I have personally seen dry ice bombs carry through to charges in a court case involving animal abuse where an idiot was tossing dry ice bombs at a neighbor's dog.   The old definition had a section specifically listing bursting containers/explosions by way of dry ice or chemical reaction.

They struck all that and recodified it back around 2013 when they branched out all the weapons charges to make room for crap like more gun laws.

New section of destructive devices is 16460 for definition and 18710 for possession.

There is room for LE to go down the path of constructive possession or intent with precursor materials if they wanted to.    A local gunshop was given a polite hint by local LE about it being a good idea not to carry Tannerite in their store front.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]
As with almost everything else in our state, it's not a problem until you get caught.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top