Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2016 8:55:41 PM EDT
Yeeeeesh.  I'm in Oakland, and of course I'm in and around San Francisco / east bay frequently.

I've had *DECENT* BBQ at a place or two in the east bay, but, coming from the east coast, it wasn't that great, and a full rack of baby back ribs seems to be $25 just by itself. (One such place was in Pleasant Hill as I recall, not bad, just not great for the price.)

I am not exaggerating when I say Sonny's is better than virtually all the BBQ I've had out here, and Sonny's is just a fast food chain more or less, and not expensive.

ALSO:

COLESLAW.  MY GOD.  What have they done.  Every place makes it differently here, and every place makes it wrong.  I had THE WORST coleslaw imaginable recently at a place in Hayward, which incidentally also had some of the worst BBQ I've ever tasted.  The name of the place is Emil Villa's.  The coleslaw was served dry in a bowl, very roughly cut, big pieces of cabbage, and then you pour on top this absolutely disgusting horseradish juice that is anything but what you expect for coleslaw.

Anyone have any good BBQ places within a short drive of Oakland or thereabouts?

For people who came from "real" BBQ states: Have you found BBQ in California sucks in general?  I am sure there are some good places, they're just nowhere near as easy to find as they were or as common on the east coast.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
In California, the real BBQ happens in backyards and is generally public.  

There are some good ones but not where you'd expect.  I cannot speak about Bay Area restaurants, though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a smoker, but sometimes I just want to go to a decent BBQ restaurant and not worry with the mess.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Find a kenders in concord or walnutcreek and be happy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Been to both, several times.  It's acceptable but frankly it's not amazing.  It's a decent lunch spot.  I've been to them in both cities.  One in Walnut Creek was better, one in Concord once when I went, the food was lukewarm around 2 pm.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#5]
My brother lives in Oakland and recommends Phat Matt's on Telegraph.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Been to both, several times.  It's acceptable but frankly it's not amazing.  It's a decent lunch spot.  I've been to them in both cities.  One in Walnut Creek was better, one in Concord once when I went, the food was lukewarm around 2 pm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's about as good as it gets in ca ,   If you want the good stuff you have to do it yourself.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:52:54 PM EDT
[#7]
My brother states that in order to get good BBQ in Oakland, one must go to the 'pigmented parts of town' in order to find anything recognizable as 'Southern'.

Or you could always go to Souley Vegan...
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]
In Vallejo, find Woodys or Gracie's BBQ. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My brother lives in Oakland and recommends Phat Matt's on Telegraph.
View Quote

I second that recommendation. Phat Matts is the best BBQ I've had in the area
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Sweet, thanks, I'll definitely try out Phat Matt's and report back soon.

A friend of mine who has lived here a while also told me to try out Brick Pig's House.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Two places that I really liked in Oakland were Abura-ya Japanese fried chicken, and Juhu Beach Club for Indian food. Le Cheval is pretty good if you like Vietnamese food, though the portions are a little small.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:35:26 AM EDT
[#13]
BBQ is regional - why do expect it to be just like back east?  

Personally I'm not a fan of the vinegar based BBQ but I won't say it's wretched and done wrong.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Personally I'm not a fan of the vinegar based BBQ but I won't say it's wretched and done wrong.
View Quote

I understand your point about BBQ being regional - - I assure you that isn't the problem here.  I've talked to numerous people here, natives, who say California BBQ sucks.  I've heard it over and over again.  It isn't a regional style difference problem, for whatever reason most restaurants here have not perfected the art of producing large batches of BBQ.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#16]
My brother says to go the really black areas of Oakland if you want good BBQ. No hipster wannabe outlaw-cuisine types to fuck up something as primal and delicious as good BBQ.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My brother says to go the really black areas of Oakland if you want good BBQ. No hipster wannabe outlaw-cuisine types to fuck up something as primal and delicious as good BBQ.
View Quote

I've been recommended a couple of those places, just haven't tried them yet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:27:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I understand your point about BBQ being regional - - I assure you that isn't the problem here.  I've talked to numerous people here, natives, who say California BBQ sucks.  I've heard it over and over again.  It isn't a regional style difference problem, for whatever reason most restaurants here have not perfected the art of producing large batches of BBQ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious about the CA natives BBQ expertise and why they think CA BBQ sucks.

BBQ restaurants aren't as prevalent in CA IME so the "mechanics" of producing large consistent quantities might be lacking.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Gorillas in Pacifica is one of the best. It is a caboose on the side of the road. No indoor seating.

Gorillas

The Cats in Los Gatos is nice but higher end
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You need to go to one of the thousands of restaurants run by out of state chefs.

The chefs here come from Memphis, Kansas City, Texas, and all across the south seeking a slice of the billions and billions of dollars flying around the wealthiest state in the nation. Despite coming here they manage to maintain much of their abilities.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to go to one of the thousands of restaurants run by out of state chefs.

The chefs here come from Memphis, Kansas City, Texas, and all across the south seeking a slice of the billions and billions of dollars flying around the wealthiest state in the nation. Despite coming here they manage to maintain much of their abilities.

I live in Sonoma County.  We have plenty of chefs that come here to ply their craft in the land of food/wine pairing & Farm to Table - and we have some very, very good restaurants.  Unfortunately, BBQ is not one of the major selections.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's not like it takes anything special to produce quality barbecue
View Quote

I kind of doubt the BBQ competitors will agree with you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not like it takes anything special to produce quality barbecue

Well, I think what Paul is saying, it doesn't (or at least shouldn't) take anything special to make reasonable, edible, restaurant-quality BBQ.  Of course the competitive stuff might be an art of its own.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Ate lunch at a decent place today!

Coworker and I finished looking at a jobsite in Hayward around noon.  Looked at Yelp and saw "Just Potato Salad" (weird name, right?) listed as a BBQ joint 0.3 miles away.

Went and ordered a combo with two ribs, two pieces of chicken, some baked beans, and potato salad.  The BBQ was actually quite good!  Meat on the ribs was neither too fall apart nor tough at all, flavor was decent, chicken was good, sides were good.  All the way out on the far end of Hayward unfortunately, so I doubt I'll go often unless I'm in the area for something else.  The combo was only $17 or something with a drink, so the price was right too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:36:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Try Everett and Jones in Oakland / Berkeley.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top