Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2016 2:18:50 AM EDT
I grew up in Ca and spent my first 30 years there. I decided to move rather than register my rifles when things started getting bad (of course nobody could have imagined it would end up where it is now when it comes to our rights). Was never planning to go back even though I would love to go surfing just one more time,
Now I have a son who is a Marine and I had to pick him up from Boot in San Diego. he got sent to 29 palms for a while (which is where I am now) and soon he is going to be sent to Pendelton for a while and I plan to visit him occasionally when he isn't able to come home. I am used to being able to have the ability to carry so I can defend myself when driving through the desert wasteland between Phoenix and California. I would like to bring at least a handgun with me in case I break down at night in the middle of the desert or something but I have no idea what is still legal in California. I know it would have to stored in a locked box seperate from the ammunition or something retarded like that but are there any pistols left that are legal and if so would I need a gun that was bought in California or maybe one bought before whatever arbitrary laws were passed that year? My only pistols are Sigs (15 round 229 and 226), HK VP9 (15 rounds), a Glock (15 round G19), and a 1911  7-8 rounds but assembled myself from a Caspian slide and frame but it is a series 70 style so even that would probably be illegal. So what are my options? Can I bring something designed for 15 rounds but just use 10 round mags instead?
Does it need to be something on the infamous list of approved firearms? Or should I just bring a revolver or maybe a bolt action rifle of some sort? thanks for yor help, I can't wait to see that "Welcome to Arizona" sign tomorrow morning but in a few months I'm sure I will be making this trip again.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:06:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for taking the time to reply. I am always discreet and the only way anybody would even know would be if I got pulled over and specifically asked if I had any weapons in the car. Otherwise it would be a non issue. that's interesting that the list doesn't apply as long as I'm not a resident and I don't have any standard magazines. I will just buy a couple low caps and leave the standard cap mags at home and I should be good to go. thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:13:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You've got it mostly covered, keep in a locked box separate from ammo.

Don't import any hi-cap mags, buy some 10 round mags or bring the revolver.

Since you're technically not a CA resident, your not affected by what has to be on or off the list of approved guns.

Just use your wits and don't go waving your pistol around like some crazed lunatic. Don't tell people that you have a pistol in your car, hotel room, back pocket...

Other then that you'll be fine, it's amazing that people don't use more common sense when coming to an insane asylum.
View Quote

There is no need to separate ammo.  I don't know why people keep spreading this bad information.  I can have loaded mags in the same container or on my person.  That's not against the law.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There is no need to separate ammo.  I don't know why people keep spreading this bad information.  I can have loaded mags in the same container or on my person.  That's not against the law.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Since you're technically not a CA resident, your not affected by what has to be on or off the list of approved guns.

Just use your wits and don't go waving your pistol around like some crazed lunatic. Don't tell people that you have a pistol in your car, hotel room, back pocket...

Other then that you'll be fine, it's amazing that people don't use more common sense when coming to an insane asylum.

Seconded. I hear it all the time and it's just not something you need to do. You can do it if you want, but it's not a legal requirement.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Seconded. I hear it all the time and it's just not something you need to do. You can do it if you want, but it's not a legal requirement.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I 3rd it. Load some 10's and put them in with your pistol....not in the pistol. Have the key super handy.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:54:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I 3rd it. Load some 10's and put them in with your pistol....not in the pistol. Have the key super handy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or a combo with only one dial needing to be moved one digit to unlock.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I came here to basically ask the same question. Instead of starting a new thread, here is my situation:

In December, my family and I will be driving from Vegas, through Death Valley to Monterey then down the PCH to LA then back to Vegas.

We will stay overnight at hotels in Monterey and Ventura. Will be in CA for 3 days and 2 nights.

The way I understand it is that I can have my Glock 30 in a locked case with 10 round mags (none in pistol) behind the back seat of my truck (4 door Tundra, no trunk). When I arrive at an overnight hotel stay, I take it in my room and it can be loaded.

Is this correct?

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I came here to basically ask the same question. Instead of starting a new thread, here is my situation:

In December, my family and I will be driving from Vegas, through Death Valley to Monterey then down the PCH to LA then back to Vegas.

We will stay overnight at hotels in Monterey and Ventura. Will be in CA for 3 days and 2 nights.

The way I understand it is that I can have my Glock 30 in a locked case with 10 round mags (none in pistol) behind the back seat of my truck (4 door Tundra, no trunk). When I arrive at an overnight hotel stay, I take it in my room and it can be loaded.

Is this correct?

View Quote

GTG, although the 30 doesn't come with a threaded barrel, if you have an aftermarket one that is, thats a no go here. Also the mags can always be loaded, they just can't be in the gun when traveling.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
GTG, although the 30 doesn't come with a threaded barrel, if you have an aftermarket one that is, thats a no go here. Also the mags can always be loaded, they just can't be in the gun when traveling.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this correct?

Thank You, my family is really looking forward to seeing some of the beautiful sites in your state.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is this correct?

View Quote

If your looking for something to do in Monterey, Sunset Beach is right near there and it is beautiful.  Me and my family go camping there all the time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 6:00:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If your looking for something to do in Monterey, Sunset Beach is right near there and it is beautiful.  Me and my family go camping there all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Snip

Thanks, we'll check it out if we have time.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#12]
This thread has been helpful. Jumping in stopped me from making another thread about the same as well.

Its a lot easier telling people what they need to do when coming to Arizona. LOL.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#13]
You aren't planning to drive from Vegas to Monterey via Death Valley in one day are you?  What route are you planning to take?

When you come west out of Death Valley to US 395, you will have to drive south and then over the Tehachapi Mountains using CA 58 or north to 120 and over Tioga Pass via Yosemite National Parks.  There are no (reasonable) through roads between them.  There are some at the very south end of the Sierras but they would add 1-3 hours at least over going over 58.  It can be done but most of the roads are going to be two lane roads

It may appear there are roads via Kings Canyon on some maps, but those gaps are really gaps.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You aren't planning to drive from Vegas to Monterey via Death Valley in one day are you?  What route are you planning to take?

When you come west out of Death Valley to US 395, you will have to drive south and then over the Tehachapi Mountains using CA 58 or north to 120 and over Tioga Pass via Yosemite National Parks.  There are no (reasonable) through roads between them.  There are some at the very south end of the Sierras but they would add 1-3 hours at least over going over 58.  It can be done but most of the roads are going to be two lane roads

It may appear there are roads via Kings Canyon on some maps, but those gaps are really gaps.

View Quote
Yes, I know it's a long way for one day but our time is limited. We plan to leave Vegas early enough to be in Death Valley at sunrise. It will be a long day.

I plan to take the south route using 58, I figured the northern route could have weather issues in late Dec. We would really like to see Yosemite but that will have to wait for a summer trip.

This trip is kind of a spur of the moment thing. We go to southern CO for Christmas every year and this year I got a good deal on a condo for a week in Vegas after our CO trip. We don't know when we will have the opportunity to be that far west again, so while we are there we may as well see all we can during our short visit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top