Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2016 4:27:53 PM EDT
Is there a good summary of CA firearms laws somewhere?  I currently own NFA (SBRs and Suppressors) and concealed carry daily, I'm not sure what I can and cannot do in CA.  I'm willing to leave some things behind in a storage locker here.  I'm both sure that this question constantly gets asked, and that someone has summed it up nicely

How is the area?  I'm looking at an engineering job and I imagine I'd end up in an apartment nearby for awhile.  Are there any areas I should avoid/focus on?  My plan is to spend a couple days looking around after my interview.

I see Los Padres and Angeles national forest's nearby, is there good camping and hiking out there?

Thanks Gents!  I hope I get the job!
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is there a good summary of CA firearms laws somewhere?  I currently own NFA (SBRs and Suppressors) and concealed carry daily, I'm not sure what I can and cannot do in CA.  I'm willing to leave some things behind in a storage locker here.  I'm both sure that this question constantly gets asked, and that someone has summed it up nicely
If you want the option to concealed carry you would need to rent in Kern county, if you rent in Palmdale or Lancaster you would be carrying illegally (LA County will not issue CCW permits). You would not be able to bring any of the fun toys with you, also you would need to purchase 10 rounds magazines for all guns, and install bullet buttons on all of your AR's, AK's, basically anything semi auto. I would look on calguns.net for better clarifications on CA gun laws.

https://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

How is the area?  I'm looking at an engineering job and I imagine I'd end up in an apartment nearby for awhile.  Are there any areas I should avoid/focus on?  My plan is to spend a couple days looking around after my interview.
I live in the Lancaster area, there are some nice areas and some not so nice areas here. Stay out of the middle, and east of Palmdale and Lancaster, the west side of town is nice. I would recommend looking for a house to rent, there are not to many apartments in nice areas here. Let me know when you've started looking and I can give you advice, I've worked and lived here most of my life

I see Los Padres and Angeles national forest's nearby, is there good camping and hiking out there?
Yes, there are a lot of nice forest's nearby, you can hike and hunt in the area.

Thanks Gents!  I hope I get the job!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Palmdale is kinda BFE, but then so is much of TX.

It is in LA CO which you do not want, but Kern is nice and red.

I would move up to the high desert for the right job.

LOTS of empty desert to shoot in.  Forests nearby too.

But the high desert is what it is.

Come visit first.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#3]

The pay must be worth it for you.  I would not move here unless there is a good job in it, and the pay is worth it.  So far as living in LA, forget it.  Move to Tehachapi or Rosamond.  You can get a CCW there.  There is virtually no traffic between those two cities and Palmdale.  Even when it's busy.

Forget NFA all together.  You can get AOW's here and that is about it.

Calguns.com has the legal info you need.  But if you list what you have here, or PM some us you feel comfortable with we can probabbly tell you what you can or can not bring with you.  

There is a ton of good hiking, and outdoor everything here.  Especially out near Mojave.  

The downtown area of Lancaster is good.  There is plenty to do in the AV.    So far as Palmdale goes for living, just forget it.  If you east of the 14 it is not worth the effort.  Quartz Hills is nice, but again it is in LA County, and not worth the squeeze.  The city of Palmdale is lovingly called "Palmton" as most of the hood rats from Compton have moved out of south LA and relocated in Riverside, and Palmdale.

So if the money is there, have at it, but remember most of us (real Americans) are leaving Ca. or biding our time until we can.  If you do make the move, look at the Ca. Safe gun roster and buy everything you can that is NOT listed.  You can bring in personally owned off roster guns, and sell them here when you feel you no longer need them.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys,I appreciate the responses.  I definitely have more research to do, especially on housing location.  I'm sure I'll have more specific questions as I dig in further.

If the job pans out it will be worth it.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Tehachapi has nice weather but it is a prison town.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I would look in the Rosamond area (Kern County).  However, make sure you check out different areas, as most of Rosamond is not nice.

Distance from the Antelope Valley up to the Owens Valley is not bad, and up there you will have access to wide open spaces, and tons of hiking, fishing, shooting, hunting, opportunities.

Eric  
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:06:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I spent some of my childhood growing up in the Antelope Valley and still commute to work there from nearby Valencia. Most of Palmdale/ Lancaster east of the freeway/Sierra Highway is absolute shit. I'm assuming the job is aerospace? Apartments are getting more and more expensive there due to a larger number of aerospace engineers and solar company employees moving into the area. I would suggest Lancaster over Palmdale, and only anywhere west of 20th. The gun stores in the AV mostly suck, but there are exceptions. Lots of shooting in the desert so that's the upside. It's a couple of hours from the beach and about an hour away from Los Angeles. It used to be considered the sticks but urban sprawl is making its way out there. Best sunsets in the world out there in the high desert.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tehachapi has nice weather but it is a prison town.
View Quote

Please explain the implications of "prison town".
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I've spent some time in the AV - I'd say look at Tehachapi and deal with the commute.  I have a good friend that lives in Tehachapi and commutes to Edwards - ~60 miles each way.

Tehachapi does get some of the "family" problems associated with having a prison in town but from what I've seen it's really not an issue in the big picture of deciding where to live if working in the AV area.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#12]
BTW - stay the hell out of Mojave & California City................
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#13]
DONT COME HERE -- Stay in Texas
the guns laws get worse and worse every year.
theres probably more good paying jobs in Texas than in Kalif.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:59:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Trollslayer, Correction Officers are an insular type, my friend is a retired CO.  Some of them are real jackasses, some are not, it is not a great work environment.

There is also the prison family element.

So there are those two populations in town, who will be part of one's life.  It is doable, but it merits attention.  If this is a temporary move, then one should have no problem.

The prison has a significant influence on the town.  Neither good nor bad, but it is a prison town.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 5:05:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Traffic is shit in that area.  If you're not used to it, you might find it a little daunting.

I'm not sure why you'd want to come here.  I'm sure it's for a job, but I'm surprised there isn't an equivalent/analog in Texas--closer to you and in a better political climate.

I'm in the high desert, about two hours away from Palmdale/Lancaster.  Let me know if I can help in any way.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Live in Kern county, you aren't getting a CCW out of the LA county Sheriff.

Tehachapi used to be a railroad and apple farming community.  started getting some retirees, then got a state prison.  Now it's mostly prison industry and a lot of folks that find it to be a nice area to live.  You actually have 4 seasons. The snow is not too bad and the heat in the summer is not as bad as down in the valleys

It's on my short list of possible places to move when I retire.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:55:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Tehachapi used to be a railroad and apple farming community.  started getting some retirees, then got a state prison.  Now it's mostly prison industry and a lot of folks that find it to be a nice area to live.  You actually have 4 seasons. The snow is not too bad and the heat in the summer is not as bad as down in the valleys

View Quote

I went to buy a radial arm saw in Southern Tehachapi.  Must've just been the right time of the year, but that place reminded me very strongly of Ireland.  All rolling emerald green hills and grey stone.  It was truly beautiful, and not what I expected to see, having spent most of my time on the freeway side of Tehachapi.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#18]
The high desert blows.

No, really.  Most of the time when I go up there it is windy.  The few trees that do grow lean with the wind.

I'm most familiar with Victorville high desert, not necessarily Palmdale.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I live in Lancaster, the area to look in for a house is 93531 zip. The east side of Palmdale is a shit hole. Stay West of Sierra Hwy if you want to be in a better area.

Even Lancaster is going to shit, it used to be better than Palmdale but you can't tell the difference any more.

PM me when you get in town, there are some good places to shoot. We just don't tell the Val's where they are.

You'll learn what that means, that and when people tell you their going down below. Doesn't have anything to do with Australia.
View Quote

I graduated from AVHS in '78. Lancaster was about 20,000 people, Palmdale about 10,000.  

I barely recognized the place when I was there for work in 2010.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Live in Kern County and drive to work from there (lower cost of living and lower property taxes there) and get your concealed carry permit there. You won't be able to bring it to work at Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman or Boeing because the guards perform periodic car searches.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 12:39:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I went to buy a radial arm saw in Southern Tehachapi.  Must've just been the right time of the year, but that place reminded me very strongly of Ireland.  All rolling emerald green hills and grey stone.  It was truly beautiful, and not what I expected to see, having spent most of my time on the freeway side of Tehachapi.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to agree, I've driven through and found myself wanting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 1:52:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Define "Southern Tehachapi" - Stallion Springs area or along Highline Road?
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks guys, the responses have really helped.  I think I have a game plan on how to make the most of my time around the interview.

I fly out next week and it will be a bit of a whirlwind tour, but I have a couple of places to check out in Kern county for housing.  If I get the offer I'm hoping for we will have to meet up for a few beers!
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, the responses have really helped.  I think I have a game plan on how to make the most of my time around the interview.

I fly out next week and it will be a bit of a whirlwind tour, but I have a couple of places to check out in Kern county for housing.  If I get the offer I'm hoping for we will have to meet up for a few beers!
View Quote

Mojave & Cal City & North Edwards are shit holes. Rosamond isn't much better. Scratch them off the list.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 12:50:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Mojave & Cal City & North Edwards are shit holes. Rosamond isn't much better. Scratch them off the list.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add Boron to that list. That pretty much leaves you with something in LA County or Tehachapi. Or some random house north of Ave A that isn't in Rosamond. Unless you plan on Tehachapi, you should probably just suck it up and deal with the LA County bs and at least live in a nice part of Lancaster/Palmdale and enjoy life a bit more while you are here.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 1:55:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hills are beautiful in the late winter and spring.  then they dry out and you get a classic  "golden state" scenario.  dry grass and oak trees.  Kind of pretty but hot and dry.

Also you're not all that far from the High Sierras where the camping and hiking is superb.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The hills are beautiful in the late winter and spring.  then they dry out and you get a classic  "golden state" scenario.  dry grass and oak trees.  Kind of pretty but hot and dry.

Also you're not all that far from the High Sierras where the camping and hiking is superb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was born and raised in a little mountain town just outside of Lake Tahoe.  I didn't know I lived in paradise when I was a kid.  I know now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I graduated H.S. in Lancaster 1960. Moved permanently 1966. I visit once in awhile to see relatives. Lots of changes. Not really a desirable place any more.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The pay must be worth it for you.  I would not move here unless there is a good job in it, and the pay is worth it.  So far as living in LA, forget it.  Move to Tehachapi or Rosamond.  You can get a CCW there.  There is virtually no traffic between those two cities and Palmdale.  Even when it's busy.

View Quote

As someone who took a promotion to go to California from Texas I can agree with you, I wish I never did it.  I'm back now and just wish I never left 5 years ago.  I liked living in Bakersfield as there were lots of great places to go within a 2-4 hour drive and a lot of people there are freedom/gun oriented but at the end of the day the pay wasn't even all that great when you factor in 700/year car registration feed and all the other ways they nickel and dime you to death.  When the opportunity to come back came up I took it, at nearly my financial ruin.  The whole time I was in CA I just tried to live in denial like guns didn't exist and not read or look at anything but I still felt "wrong" the whole time I was there.

I had to sell all my non-CA legal items too as I have no friends/family to leave them secured with like the OP is mentioning so now here I am trying to rebuild what took a decade to accumulate.

Don't do it!
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

As someone who took a promotion to go to California from Texas I can agree with you, I wish I never did it.  I'm back now and just wish I never left 5 years ago.  I liked living in Bakersfield as there were lots of great places to go within a 2-4 hour drive and a lot of people there are freedom/gun oriented but at the end of the day the pay wasn't even all that great when you factor in 700/year car registration feed and all the other ways they nickel and dime you to death.  When the opportunity to come back came up I took it, at nearly my financial ruin.  The whole time I was in CA I just tried to live in denial like guns didn't exist and not read or look at anything but I still felt "wrong" the whole time I was there.

I had to sell all my non-CA legal items too as I have no friends/family to leave them secured with like the OP is mentioning so now here I am trying to rebuild what took a decade to accumulate.

Don't do it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't do it!

$700/year car registration means you were driving a relatively new car - about $600 of that total was basically a personal property tax, not actual "registration".
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:34:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would look in the Rosamond area (Kern County).  However, make sure you check out different areas, as most of Rosamond is not nice.

Distance from the Antelope Valley up to the Owens Valley is not bad, and up there you will have access to wide open spaces, and tons of hiking, fishing, shooting, hunting, opportunities.

Eric  
View Quote

Is the Budweiser man still around?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top