Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2016 6:49:23 PM EDT
My daughter is moving to Woodland Hills from TX next month, will it be legal for her to bring her custom Glock 17 with grip reduction and TSD red dot slide (changed the barrel out to factory unthreaded)?  Should she send a photo of the gun along with the New Resident form?

Edit:  This flowchart I found at calguns.net seems to clarify things.  It appears she'll be legal.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
No 10+ mags and no threaded barrel. Rest doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:00:37 AM EDT
[#2]
If she's moving here permanently, CA will be her home state of record, the state law says she needs to mail in the registration and fees for her pistol, IIRC it's within something less than 30days.   The CA DOJ Firearms Division FAQ page has the info.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:20:13 AM EDT
[#3]
The roster only applies to buying guns from an FFL. It doesn't limit what handguns she can bring into the state with her or limit customizing her guns.

No need to send a picture. The form is pretty simple - manufacturer, model, serial number, caliber, and purchase date. They didn't seem too picky with mine. I brought a stripped 1911 lower so left "caliber" blank, didn't have a purchase date for any of the guns I inherited, and don't even remember what year I bought my Kimber so left the purchase dates blank on about 10 of the 23 guns I had to register. They didn't question any of them.

I did send a picture but that was for a Yugo SKS to show the grenade launcher had been removed. I took the picture in a dimly lit storage locker with an old phone. You can't even tell what's on the end of the barrel in that fuzzy picture but they didn't question it.

Just make sure she gets the form submitted within 60 days and modifies/replaces mags that hold more than 10 rounds. She can buy magblocks from magazineblocks.com to avoid replacing expensive magazines. A magblock is a plastic insert that goes inside the magazine to block the follower from allowing more than ten rounds. They're pretty cheap, about $5 each.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:30:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If she's moving here permanently, CA will be her home state of record, the state law says she needs to mail in the registration and fees for her pistol, IIRC it's within something less than 30days.   The CA DOJ Firearms Division FAQ page has the info.
View Quote

Do you only need to register if you live here permanently?
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 11:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Have her buy as many off roster handguns as she can and then bring them all in.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have her buy as many off roster handguns as she can and then bring them all in.

View Quote

Seriously.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top