Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2016 3:39:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:54:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Depending on where exactly in Richmond there are other things I'd be much more concerned about.  There are some truly shitty & dangerous parts of Richmond.

Do either of the them work for Chevron?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Her husband will be commuting into SF.  My daughter is looking for a job.  Their apartment is on the north edge of Richmond.

They are both out of their minds.  The only way they will learn a lesson is first hand experience.
View Quote

This one of those lessons that you do not want your kids to learn first hand.  Richmond is a bad place.  I'm sure there are good areas. Somewhere.  But Richmond is on the news every single day with reports of violent crime. Seriously, do a google search for violent crime in the SF bay area.  Richmond is near the top and has been for years.  Yeah, they're trying to clean it up.  Good luck.

Affordable areas of Oakland, Emeryville, Richmond, Antioch, Vallejo, etc. all suck. See the linked article below for 2015 numbers.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/U-S-crime-drops-again-but-gains-uneven-in-Bay-6536129.php

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:39:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Go further east or north and suck up the commute. I drive 66 miles one way to live in a great community. Richmond is a cess pool.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Do not let them move to Richmond. I work there.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Go further east or north and suck up the commute. I drive 66 miles one way to live in a great community. Richmond is a cess pool.
View Quote

I dont know if it would even be a "suck up the commute". You'd need to hit Oakland to cross (Bay Bridge or Bart), so you can trade the mileage south to go further east. Distance would be roughly the same just different directions. I dont think you could do worse than Richmond thats for sure!
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They arrived in Richmond on Thursday afternoon.  The apartment complex is gated with full time security patrol.

The company my daughter worked for in Tennessee decided to interview her for a position out there, and she has an interview at a venture capital company located East of the bay (but still a substantial commute) on Monday.

I told them that when they decide they have to bail out to call me, I will get them out of there, they don't need to worry about the cost.  I'll be interested to see how long the stars in their eyes are shooed out by reality.

In the mean time, my oldest daughter is moving to Kansas City to attend UMKC in a doctorate program.  The area around campus is another dangerous location.

View Quote

If the husband makes good money and your daughter lands a job they may never leave. Yes, the Bay Area is expensive but its not unaffordable. If they land the right positions they will make ends meet and then some.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:31:59 AM EDT
[#11]
That's the key here.  If living in Richmond doesn't put the fire underneath them to move on up Jefferson style, NOTHING will.

Quoted:
They'll be working their ways up into that lifestyle.  Things are going to be thin for a while.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Daughter landed a job at One Planet Ops in San Ramon on Monday.  This will get their combined salaries into the "survival" range.  At least until she wears out the car she'll use to commute.

My other daughter has a new, but serious, boyfriend from Reno.  So maybe moving to Reno for the soaring isn't crazy.  (The world is small, her boyfriend also live in Trona, California.  His dad is a good friend of a first cousin that worked at the SNORT at China Lake.  "All roads lead to Trona.")

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's the key here.  If living in Richmond doesn't put the fire underneath them to move on up Jefferson style, NOTHING will.

Quoted:
They'll be working their ways up into that lifestyle.  Things are going to be thin for a while.

Daughter landed a job at One Planet Ops in San Ramon on Monday.  This will get their combined salaries into the "survival" range.  At least until she wears out the car she'll use to commute.

My other daughter has a new, but serious, boyfriend from Reno.  So maybe moving to Reno for the soaring isn't crazy.  (The world is small, her boyfriend also live in Trona, California.  His dad is a good friend of a first cousin that worked at the SNORT at China Lake.  "All roads lead to Trona.")

I might actually pick Richmond over Trona.  Yes, I have been to Trona.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top