Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2016 2:05:46 PM EDT
Are single action revolvers still exempt from the handgun roster/list?

Background: Someone in KY wants to sell  a Ruger vaquero to someone in CA. The Kentucky FFL will not ship to CA because the Vaquero in not on the list.

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Fucking ridiculous.  The list is for semi automatic pistols and double action revolvers and derringers.

Restrictions are AFAIK a minimum 3" barrel and overall 7.5" minimum length.
SB 15 EXEMPT HANDGUNS

All curio/relic handguns as defined in Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal

Regulations are exempt from the provisions of SB 15.

Also exempt are single-action revolvers

that

have at least a five-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and

that meet any of the following specifications:

Was originally manufactured prior to1900 and is a curio or relic, as defined in

Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations;

Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least seven and one-

half inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled; or

Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least seven and one-

half  inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled and

that is currently approved for importation into the United States pursuant to the

provisions of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18 of the

United States Code.

Additionally, Olympic pistols listed in PC section 12132(h)(2) are exempt from the

provisions of SB 15.  Consequently, firearms dealers, secondhand dealers, and pawn brokers may
retain curio/relic handguns and/or firearms defined as Olympic pistols
And from the list opening paragraph:

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within
California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for
sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed
firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California
by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic
handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns
are exempt from this requirement.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]

I'd request that the CA FFL contact the KY FFL and attempt to clear up any confusion.  Realize that it may be difficult to convince him as CA's gun laws are relatively complicated.  If the KY FFL refuses then politely thank him for his time and tell him to go back to drinking his fine bourbon and fucking his sister.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd request that the CA FFL contact the KY FFL and attempt to clear up any confusion.  Realize that it may be difficult to convince him as CA's gun laws are relatively complicated.  If the KY FFL refuses then politely thank him for his time and tell him to go back to drinking his fine bourbon and fucking his sister.  
View Quote
As a former CA gunshop employee I wouldn't waste my time. I've tried to help some customers by talking to out-of-state FFLs but not a single one of them changed their minds.
OP, I'd just ask the seller to use a different FFL.

Does the seller even need to ship through an FFL? I've never sent a gun myself, but I thought a person could just send it to the buyer's FFL themselves.

Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:17:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
As a former CA gunshop employee I wouldn't waste my time. I've tried to help some customers by talking to out-of-state FFLs but not a single one of them changed their minds.

Does the seller even need to ship through an FFL? I've never sent a gun myself, but I thought a person could just send it to the buyer's FFL themselves.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, the seller can send it directly to the FFL of your choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top