Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2016 1:56:56 AM EDT
Anyone here climbed Half Dome when the cables are down? I coming out to Yosemite to shoot (photogtaphy) a wedding in a few weeks and am planning to hike as much of Half Dome as I can.

If the cables are down I plan to use a prussic knot and still make my way to the top.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!  I will be in Sonora for most of the trip and am always down to grab a beer or bite to eat!
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I've only done it in the summer with the cables up.

Make sure you are allowed to do this, there's snow and the Rangers don't want to rescue climbers

http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/webcams/half-dome

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've only done it in the summer with the cables up.

Make sure you are allowed to do this, there's snow and the Rangers don't want to rescue climbers

http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/webcams/half-dome

View Quote
You are, no permits required when the cables are down.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if you'll be able to get to the base of the sub dome below Half Dome this time of year.  

I'm not sure of the elevation, but I think the base is about 8000 feet.  There is going to be a lot of snow at that level.  The valley floor is about 4000 feet and has gotten snow already.  It doesn't stick around long at 4000 feet but with this year's "El Nino" I don't think many of the higher hiking trails are going to be very easy to "hike" on.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:56:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Not sure if you'll be able to get to the base of the sub dome below Half Dome this time of year.  

I'm not sure of the elevation, but I think the base is about 8000 feet.  There is going to be a lot of snow at that level.  The valley floor is about 4000 feet and has gotten snow already.  It doesn't stick around long at 4000 feet but with this year's "El Nino" I don't think many of the higher hiking trails are going to be very easy to "hike" on.
View Quote
Thanks! That was the info I was looking for.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I have done it three times but all were over 20 years ago.  It's a great hike.  Unless you are in really good shape don't try to do it in one day especially with the snow.  Pack and plan on being up there at least 2 days maybe longer.  When we took more than a day to do it we would hike up to the base of the dome on day one and spend the night.  on day two we would go up top first thing in the morning with just a day pack then come back down to our camp pack up and hike back to the cars.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#6]

It's a beautiful hike year round but the winter is awesome.  However I have never gone all the way in the winter.  Lots of snow and ice.  I ain't that crazy anymore.

I know you've been to the site and checked it out.  I love this blurb.

"Since 1919, relatively few people have fallen and died on the cables."

Good luck, have fun, be careful, post pics.

eta That granite is slick when even slightly wet.  I'll say it again, be careful.

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:26:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It's a beautiful hike year round but the winter is awesome.  However I have never gone all the way in the winter.  Lots of snow and ice.  I ain't that crazy anymore.

I know you've been to the site and checked it out.  I love this blurb.

"Since 1919, relatively few people have fallen and died on the cables."

Good luck, have fun, be careful, post pics.

eta That granite is slick when even slightly wet.  I'll say it again, be careful.

View Quote
I will! I will also take a ton of pictures.

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:28:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have done it three times but all were over 20 years ago.  It's a great hike.  Unless you are in really good shape don't try to do it in one day especially with the snow.  Pack and plan on being up there at least 2 days maybe longer.  When we took more than a day to do it we would hike up to the base of the dome on day one and spend the night.  on day two we would go up top first thing in the morning with just a day pack then come back down to our camp pack up and hike back to the cars.
View Quote
Awesome, good info. I am probably going to split it up also. I am very confident I can make the hike in one day, but I will have an extra 15lbs of camera gear to tote.

My hardest physical hike I have done was a rim2rim of the Grand Canyon in just under 12 hours.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:23:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I haven't climbed the dome but I have done more than my fair share of climbing elsewhere.

Elevation will take 20-30% of your abilities away for a few days before you get used to it so plan accordingly. When I was training I would carry a pack 50% more heavy than my planned trail loadout and since I lived in the flatlands I'd do twice the distance I planned to in the mountains.

Good luck and be careful.
View Quote
Fortunately I will be in the area for 5 days prior to the climb so I will get some acclimation compared to Ga.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:01:48 AM EDT
[#11]

If you are in half way decent shape with an early start you can do this in a day.  The snow and/or runoff may complicate things a bit though. Every time I did it I always brought gear for an overnight stay just in case but never spent the night on the trail.  I have however had to hike down in the dark a few times.  Bring a couple of flashlights/headlamps and spare batteries. It gets dark early and fast.

eta Take a good look at the trail maps.  The Mist Trail is shorter BUT I don't know about doing it in the winter.  The John Muir Trail might be the way to go. It's a couple of miles longer but not as slippery when wet or as steep.  I've slipped a few times on the wet granite while descending.  In the summer just about all of the hikers take the Mist Trail, I usually go the JMT route, it's nice having a whole trail practically to yourself.  Honestly there are literally an infinite number of absolutely gorgeous photo opportunities along all of the trails, heck the valley floor views are stunning.  You could go to the bar at the Ahwahnee then slip out into the meadow, point your camera up at Half Dome and take a picture that will take your breath away.

I love Yosemite.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If you are in half way decent shape with an early start you can do this in a day.  The snow and/or runoff may complicate things a bit though. Every time I did it I always brought gear for an overnight stay just in case but never spent the night on the trail.  I have however had to hike down in the dark a few times.  Bring a couple of flashlights/headlamps and spare batteries. It gets dark early and fast.

eta Take a good look at the trail maps.  The Mist Trail is shorter BUT I don't know about doing it in the winter.  The John Muir Trail might be the way to go. It's a couple of miles longer but not as slippery when wet or as steep.  I've slipped a few times on the wet granite while descending.  In the summer just about all of the hikers take the Mist Trail, I usually go the JMT route, it's nice having a whole trail practically to yourself.  Honestly there are literally an infinite number of absolutely gorgeous photo opportunities along all of the trails, heck the valley floor views are stunning.  You could go to the bar at the Ahwahnee then slip out into the meadow, point your camera up at Half Dome and take a picture that will take your breath away.

I love Yosemite.

View Quote
Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep us updated on your plans.  I've heard its doable on the dry winter years, but still an extreme climb.

I don't live close to Yosemite, but close enough to do daytrips to the park.  I've done the Half Dome hike in the summer time, and have done a few winter time hikes on the valley floor.  I actually prefer to visit during the winter and early spring time before the crowds get out of hand.  I haven't done the Half Dome hike in years, but do the Mist Trail / Nevada Falls hike about every other year.  

I hate Mist Trail, and will take longer John Muir trail on the way up.  Mist Trail is okay coming down, but when wet (which it always seems to be) can be treacherous .  It is basically staggered uneven steps cut out of granite rocks for long stretches.  John Muir is more of a "horse trail" as is longer but a gradual climb.  I would imagine both are covered in snow drifts at the moment.  I think the gates leading to the John Muir trail will be closed, but that should be to keep the horses out.  Just go around them.

We've been getting a lot of rain / snow this year in Northern California and the snow level changes daily.  It might be 7000 feet one day, then drop to 3500 feet the next, so plan accordingly.  The climbing cables will probably be frozen to the granite rock on Half Dome.  And if you ask any Yosemite officials for input on this hike, they'll think you're crazy.    They probably won't stop you though.  The park averages about 12-15 deaths a year, and the Mist Trail seems to cause a few of those.  

Be careful.  

I would also consider looking at some of the other hikes on the valley floor incase the Half Dome route is too snowy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#14]

I keep coming back to this because I want to do it too.

From the website:

• The Mist Trail from its junction with the John Muir Trail above Vernal Fall footbridge to the top of Vernal Fall and the John Muir Trail
    from Clark Point to near the top of Nevada Fall are closed for the
    winter. It is possible to hike to the top of Vernal and Nevada Falls
    using still-open sections of trail, however, conditions may be snowy
    and/or icy.

• The Four Mile Trail is closed between Union Point to Glacier Point. The trail is open to hike from Yosemite Valley to near Union Point.

• The trail to Rancheria Falls is open to foot traffic (but not stock) beyond Wapama Fall (due to a rockfall).

• The Half Dome cables are down for the season. (A permit is required to hike to the top of Half Dome when the cables are up.)

• No other trails are closed.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Keep us updated on your plans.  I've heard its doable on the dry winter years, but still an extreme climb.

I don't live close to Yosemite, but close enough to do daytrips to the park.  I've done the Half Dome hike in the summer time, and have done a few winter time hikes on the valley floor.  I actually prefer to visit during the winter and early spring time before the crowds get out of hand.  I haven't done the Half Dome hike in years, but do the Mist Trail / Nevada Falls hike about every other year.  

I hate Mist Trail, and will take longer John Muir trail on the way up.  Mist Trail is okay coming down, but when wet (which it always seems to be) can be treacherous .  It is basically staggered uneven steps cut out of granite rocks for long stretches.  John Muir is more of a "horse trail" as is longer but a gradual climb.  I would imagine both are covered in snow drifts at the moment.  I think the gates leading to the John Muir trail will be closed, but that should be to keep the horses out.  Just go around them.

We've been getting a lot of rain / snow this year in Northern California and the snow level changes daily.  It might be 7000 feet one day, then drop to 3500 feet the next, so plan accordingly.  The climbing cables will probably be frozen to the granite rock on Half Dome.  And if you ask any Yosemite officials for input on this hike, they'll think you're crazy.    They probably won't stop you though.  The park averages about 12-15 deaths a year, and the Mist Trail seems to cause a few of those.  

Be careful.  

I would also consider looking at some of the other hikes on the valley floor incase the Half Dome route is too snowy.
View Quote
Awesome! As far as photography, is the John Muir vs. Mist Trail going to be much of a difference? Or is it all beautiful?

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I keep coming back to this because I want to do it too.

From the website:

• The Mist Trail from its junction with the John Muir Trail above Vernal Fall footbridge to the top of Vernal Fall and the John Muir Trail from Clark Point to near the top of Nevada Fall are closed for the winter. It is possible to hike to the top of Vernal and Nevada Falls using still-open sections of trail, however, conditions may be snowy and/or icy.

• The Four Mile Trail is closed between Union Point to Glacier Point. The trail is open to hike from Yosemite Valley to near Union Point.

• The trail to Rancheria Falls is open to foot traffic (but not stock) beyond Wapama Fall (due to a rockfall).

• The Half Dome cables are down for the season. (A permit is required to hike to the top of Half Dome when the cables are up.)

• No other trails are closed.

View Quote
The last time I climbed Half Dome, no permit was required. Just get in line and follow the crowd. The permits sound like a Whitney type of pain; not knowing what day you're hiking.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#17]
The website says snow is 125% of normal.

at 8000 feet I think it will be deep even at lower latitudes.   Tahoe area at 8000 is about 5-6 feet right now.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:17:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The website says snow is 125% of normal.

at 8000 feet I think it will be deep even at lower latitudes.   Tahoe area at 8000 is about 5-6 feet right now.

View Quote
Wow

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, did you ever go?  February was a dry month with little snow or rain.  Some friends of mine did the Vernal Fall's hike last week.  They mentioned the trail was gated closed, but they went around it and went up the Mist Trail route without any issues.

The area just had a large storm move through and rain / snow is expected most of the month of March.  Been a strange weather year.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

OP, did you ever go?  February was a dry month with little snow or rain.  Some friends of mine did the Vernal Fall's hike last week.  They mentioned the trail was gated closed, but they went around it and went up the Mist Trail route without any issues.

The area just had a large storm move through and rain / snow is expected most of the month of March.  Been a strange weather year.
View Quote
Nope :(

Here are my pictures though!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top