Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2016 4:13:49 PM EDT
My brother has filled out his app for a CCW. I'm not sure he's ever actually fired anything more than a shotgun or small caliber rifle, and those only a couple times. He just renewed his NRA membership during obama's mis informercial to spite him so you can be assured he's not a liberal.
He needs to get some kind of California training for the license requirements. He asked me about Reed's Indoor Range in Santa Clara. Best I can do for him is check Yelp and some other review sites.
I've sent him some suggestions for a handgun along with some articles and links to videos on safety, gun actions etc. Reed's does seem to rent out guns so he can at least try a couple out.
Can anyone tell me what the training requirement is for the CCW permit and if Reed's is helpful to new comers to the sport? Is there a good time for a newbie to go by the store to get some time to learn about some handgun choices when it isn't so crowded that he'll be rushed or ignored?
I also see a San Jose Municipal Firing Range that has gotten good reviews and might be a little more newbie friendly. Anyone ever use that range? I see it's a volunteer run range so the hours can be spotty at times.
Know of any good newbie friendly ranges around the Cupertino area within say 50 miles as a guess? Not real sure how far he'd be able to go with a wife, job and kid.
Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If he lives in Cupertino he is going to have a real hard time getting a CCW as they are virtually no issue in Santa Clara County.  Lots of good CCW pistols are not on the CA approved roster, so he may have to buy used for certain models and they can demand a premium. If he has a child or parent out of state they can transfer off roster pistols to him as an option. I'm in Sacramento county so I can't really help with ranges. But the state requires a minimum of 8 hours training and a max of 16 hours for a CCW. Approved classes are approved by the sheriff so requirements tend to be different based on the instructor. I had to draw and shoot from 3, 7 and 15 yards, 6 shots reload 6 more from each distance and could miss the A-B zone on a standard IDPA target 5 times for all of it. It was also timed, and I think I had 30 seconds for each distance.

Here is the most up to date map I have for counties stances on issuing.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks NorcalRT, sent it on to him.
I also told him his chances of getting a CCW were slim to none and the door was about closed on slim.
He knows it, and I think he's doing it partly as a protest over the laws and largely because of the release of all the felons of late.
Gave him a link to Calguns to read and learn some of the  problems he'll face as well to ask some questions on which handguns are legal.
Another fighter joining in the battle with intelligence to boot.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Los Altos Rod and Gun club up on Skyline, Metcalf shooting sports park, Sunnyvale Rod and Gun club. All of these ranges are good for new shooters and are within twenty minutes of Cupertino.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Brother says thanks for the help. I say thanks also, he's getting started.
He has the paperwork for the permit, sent an email asking about the training part. Took a week to get a one line response along the lines of we'll let you know when we get your  paperwork.
He knows the odds are not good. But sometimes it's the attempt that ends up being important. Couldn't  be prouder of my brother.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Good for him! Hopefully the 9th full circuit will concur on the 3 judge panel and make CA shall issue. Lots of people are currently applying in the hopes that they will have a spot in line in no issue counties. In the meantime, make sure to tell him how important sheriff elections are, lots of newer younger sheriffs in CA are more pro ccw and an election can changes things for the better.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good for him! Hopefully the 9th full circuit will concur on the 3 judge panel and make CA shall issue. Lots of people are currently applying in the hopes that they will have a spot in line in no issue counties. In the meantime, make sure to tell him how important sheriff elections are, lots of newer younger sheriffs in CA are more pro ccw and an election can changes things for the better.
View Quote

He definitely votes and checks their stands on issues. Thanks again for the help.
And here's hoping some sanity returns soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top