Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2016 3:55:04 PM EDT
Is it a bad area? What am I lookin at in terms of knife laws? Carry laws?
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The southern part can get industrial and very "LA"/run down. North of downtown and the college areas are really nice. I used to live near the La Canada/Glendale border and it was a really nice neighborhood, rent wasn't bad either. Cheaper than living in Los Angeles + without the cholos.

I think the knife laws are state wide, ok to have a pocket knife. Concealed carry is by permit only and hard to get but also statewide if you can find a CCW friendly Sheriff/Police Captain.

ETA, lots of wild life up in the foothills. I used to see deer, rabbits and coyotes all the time. Including right near me as I used get my mail in front of the building, then I would heard all kinds of screeching tires as they darted into the street. Lots of dead deer on the side of the freeway too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the reply.  Reading reviews online is one thing, asking the oracle about it is another.  

I come to Arfcom for all things
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can, take a drive around the area where you want to live a few times. If you see a lot of barred up windows and doors, that will tell you a lot about the area. Also, look for easy parking, some areas with a lot of older type apartments don't have enough parking so the streets will be packed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#4]
10-4

Will only be there for a short amount of time (potentially)
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

10-4

Will only be there for a short amount of time (potentially)
View Quote
What do you do and how long is a short time?

I grew up in Beautiful Downtown Burbank, so know something about Glendale.  Then again things have changed

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The response assumed you're asking about living in Glendale.  Is that true?  If so, where would you be working, also Glendale?

I would suggest you live in a place which offers easy access to where you work.  Don't live in Glendale if you're working in the South Bay area.

Can you tell us where you'd be working?  It will help us make better recommendations.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The response assumed you're asking about living in Glendale.  Is that true?  If so, where would you be working, also Glendale?

I would suggest you live in a place which offers easy access to where you work.  Don't live in Glendale if you're working in the South Bay area.

Can you tell us where you'd be working?  It will help us make better recommendations.
View Quote

I will only be there for a short time.  I was unsure about the area in general and the crime lvls.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone else? Generally safe to walk around at night?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cheaper than living in Los Angeles + without the cholos.
View Quote

Well there's a word I haven't heard in 20 years.  Old school!
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nobody walks in LA.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#11]
We used hang out downtown after work during the evenings quite often, very safe and lots of places to eat and shop. The only thing that creeped me out was going out bike riding or walking after dark. The coyotes didn't run away when seeing people and often I would hear 1 yipping close by then about 15 - 20 answer back about 1/2 mile away in the woods. That area may get a mountain lions nosing around nearby too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are Armenian you will get along great in Glendale.
Don't forget your adidas track suit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:12:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or gold chains
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh yeah.  Plus fairly well situated for access for other walking places.  Old Pasadena is only a few minutes away.

BTW do you speak Armenian?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Should bring an Armenian flag to put on the hood of your car too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I have never had any trouble with anyone Armenian.  I have found them to generally be very nice, sociable people.

It's true there is an Armenian enclave in the Glendale area but don't misconstrue that to be a problem.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have never had any trouble with anyone Armenian.  I have found them to generally be very nice, sociable people.

It's true there is an Armenian enclave in the Glendale area but don't misconstrue that to be a problem.
View Quote

It is if you are trying to find something other than Armenian food to eat.    The Dowager Mother Danby lives in Alhambra and we head over that way for lunch or dinner once in a while

That said we never found an Armenian meal that wasn't great.  We've stopped at Kabob Way, on S. Glendale Blvd several times and it was always good.  (I think the name has changed.)  We've eaten at several of the Zankou Chicken (Syrian-Armenian IIRC) great.  If you've never had real Middle Eastern Food and you think you like it Glendale is a great place to learn.

Billie's Deli on Orange is a classic deli and market, definitely a must eat.

Clancy's Seafood, also pretty good.  Although it did grind to a stop during the Germany - Brazil World Cup match a few years ago. Almost everybody in there migrated to the TV over the bar as Germany just kicked the stuffings out of Brazil.

Fun and interesting things to do?  

Visit Forest Lawn Glendale.  Celebrities and "art" work.  

Griffith Park Planetarium especially at night, the views will be unbelievable. Yes, it's safe.

Gene Autry Museum of Western History,  

Museum Complex at Exposition Park - Space Shuttle and big LA County Museum of Natural History - the Complex is "the Jeffersonian" on Bones.  The Natural History Museum is a classic, and you'll recognize it from movies and TV.  Across the street from them is USC.  

A little down the way is San Pedro, home of the USS Iowa, the adjacent Maritime Museum (neat and small), a Fireboat House, Merchant Marine WW2 Memorial and Fishing Fleet Memorial, and the Ft. MacArthur Military Museum.  Freedom Bell is next to it on the hill.  If you are here in the spring, you may be able to see in to Orange County, up to Ventura County, Catalina Island and some of the islands further out.

If you need to get away from people and/or flatlands, get on State Rt. 2 and head up in to the Angeles Forest.  Caveat being snow drags out people to the mountains who have never seen let alone driven in snow.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well there is this one guy who might not be a typical case.

http://ktla.com/2016/01/04/5-freeway-shut-down-in-sun-valley-after-crash-shooting-involving-lapd-suspect/
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Be prepared to get pissed off in traffic. All the Armenians drive like shit in their BMW or Mercedes. And they all think they are in the mafia.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:53:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Be prepared to get pissed off in traffic. All the Armenians drive like shit in their BMW or Mercedes. And they all think they are in the mafia.
View Quote

They sort of have their own little mafia when you see how they live with like 12 people to a home and all have bmw's and mercs
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Always make sure you pay with cash, DON'T pay via credit/debit card.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Never had Armenian food but almost all of my neighbors were Armenian. They were very friendly and easy to get along with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top