Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2015 2:49:18 PM EDT
Just as the title says, I need to find a good offshore fishing trip in San Diego. Dates would be late October, group size would be 8-10. Thinking about these guys, anyone here have any experience? http://www.hmlanding.com/

I'm totally open to suggestions. Thank CA HTF!

UPDATE: Trip report - used H&M Landing, ended up going on the Premier for 1/2 day due to some time restrictions. Had a great time, crew was top notch, caught a BUNCH of bass of various types, way too many mackerel, lots of scorpion fish (had to throw them back, out of season), and a few odds and ends fish. Boat was only about half full, mid-week fishing is awesome!

Thanks to everyone here for your info and recommendations!
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#1]
H&M, Point Loma, and Fisherman's Landing are all great spots to go out of and they're all right next to each other. I would advise booking your trip as soon as possible, with the fish still biting as well as they are trips fill up fast. Another piece of advice, parking down there is an absolute nightmare so get there early. If you park in the lot you'll have to pay, but it's worth it. Otherwise you end up leaving your car in a neighborhood and hauling your gear quite a bit farther.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
all 3 are good.  go limited load!!  and hurry while they are still biting.

limited load!  only way to go.  

had a great time on the Fortune last year.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for all of the good info, gents. Looks like we'll be going with H&M Landing. Wish we could get out there right now as I have been reading good things about the loads currently coming in, but it will be another month before our trip. Hopefully it's still good by then.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 3:57:50 AM EDT
[#4]
The fish were here, but they are up north now and way out at the outer banks. I went fishing 2 weekends ago, from Oceanside to about 10 miles east of San Clemente Island. No one was catching anything, not even the party boats. Saturday = All day trolling and stopping on kelp paddies, nothing, zilch. We saw at least 5 marlins, and I got video of 2, but no takers though. Water was really hot 76-77+ almost everywhere.

We stayed closer to home on Sunday and filled a big ice chest with yellowtail, calico, bonito and barracuda. Palos Verdes was really happening, 9-13-2015.

Last month, everyone was hooking exotics and tuna right outside of Dana Point/OC.

They were catching limits of bluefin, yellowfin and yellowtail just northwest of Santa Barbara Island which is more in range of the Ventura boats.

The warm water off the coast is pushing everything north but it should cool down a bit by October. Not sure what they will catch down in San Diego at that time. Maybe at least yellowtail, calico bass and if your lucky a dorado or a wahoo will still be around.

Keep an eye on the coastal water temp. It will give you an indication of what you will catch. Cooler = yellowtail and bass. Warmer = tuna. 76+ = dorado/wahoo/marlin.

We filled this sucker to the top. As you can see, he is still cleaning fish when I took this picture. Great day!
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The fish were here, but they are up north now and way out at the outer banks. I went fishing 2 weekends ago, from Oceanside to about 10 miles east of San Clemente Island. No one was catching anything, not even the party boats. Saturday = All day trolling and stopping on kelp paddies, nothing, zilch. We saw at least 5 marlins, and I got video of 2, but no takers though. Water was really hot 76-77+ almost everywhere.

We stayed closer to home on Sunday and filled a big ice chest with yellowtail, calico, bonito and barracuda. Palos Verdes was really happening, 9-13-2015.

Last month, everyone was hooking exotics and tuna right outside of Dana Point/OC.

They were catching limits of bluefin, yellowfin and yellowtail just northwest of Santa Barbara Island which is more in range of the Ventura boats.

The warm water off the coast is pushing everything north but it should cool down a bit by October. Not sure what they will catch down in San Diego at that time. Maybe at least yellowtail, calico bass and if your lucky a dorado or a wahoo will still be around.

Keep an eye on the coastal water temp. It will give you an indication of what you will catch. Cooler = yellowtail and bass. Warmer = tuna. 76+ = dorado/wahoo/marlin.

We filled this sucker to the top. As you can see, he is still cleaning fish when I took this picture. Great day!
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/Sodie_77/1544f8eb-87ac-47e2-8699-5e34a3f78acf_zpshxxrbwbr.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for all the info! Yellowtails are my favorite fish in the area, so hopefully they'll be hitting when we go.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I should add, we were on this app almost the whole time, "Fishdope Mobile", as long as you get a signal. You can get cell service pretty much the whole way from the coast to Catalina island but there aren't any cell towers near San Clemente Is.

You have to be a paying member to get the info = $169 per year for fishing hot spots, water temp, chlorophyll concentration, bite reports, etc. but it is so worth it to anyone that goes out on their own boat. It can cost us 3-4 hundred bucks just to fill the gas tank for the weekend. This app helps decide where to go without driving randomly and aimlessly for hours.

This San Deigo fish report is free, but not so detailed or updated like Fishdope.

http://sdfish.com/fish-reports/saltwater-fish-reports/
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The malihini at H&M has always done well for me but the San Diego out of seaforth landing in mission bay is better I think. I'm actually on the wait list for my boys bachelor party 10/04. Nicer and newer boat too. The yellows are really small rt now but they've been pulling in a lot of YFT and mahis.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Royal Polaris.  /thread
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to enjoy the cattle boats.  Generally nice folks, and if they weren't biting you had a good time swapping lies.

These days I'm more into solitude (read crusty old fart).  I fish mainly from a kayak.  Fishing can be pretty good anywhere along the SoCal coast that has kelp.  You can get right in among them, closer to shore than most craft and further out that guys surf fishing.

Look into it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:30:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just as the title says, I need to find a good offshore fishing trip in San Diego. Dates would be late October, group size would be 8-10. Thinking about these guys, anyone here have any experience? http://www.hmlanding.com/

I'm totally open to suggestions. Thank CA HTF!
View Quote

I did 3 two day trips with H&M landing.  Your experience is very closely tied to the boat and captain.  Make sure you check out the boat and captain first.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have 8 to 10 dudes... and you are not afraid to pony up $150 to $200 each get on a decent charter.

www.sauerfishcharters.com

https://www.fourreelsportfishing.com/

Or create a account on BloodyDecks and post a "Charter wanted"  add for you and 8 to 10 buddies.

Sport Boat Offshore planning thread

Stay off of the open cattle boats.  Charter a boat if you guys can afford it.  The trip and memories will be much much better.  

Now go catch some Yellow Tail, Tuna, WaHOOOOOO, ect.... This is the best year to want to take a few buds fishing thanks to that darn'd El Nino.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Update in OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top