Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2015 10:34:43 PM EDT
My wife and I are looking to relocate back to Washington State at the end of the month. I started looking into moving truck prices, and it seems for a 22'-26' truck its over $3000, but if I were going from WA to CA, the same truck would cost $600-$1000. I'm not saying its price fixing, But I don't buy the "There's a shortage of bigger trucks in CA" line, from EVERY moving truck company.

Does anyone know of affordable moving alternatives?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My wife and I are looking to relocate back to Washington State at the end of the month. I started looking into moving truck prices, and it seems for a 22'-26' truck its over $3000, but if I were going from WA to CA, the same truck would cost $600-$1000. I'm not saying its price fixing, But I don't buy the "There's a shortage of bigger trucks in CA" line, from EVERY moving truck company.

Does anyone know of affordable moving alternatives?
View Quote

Are you just looking online or actually going and talking? I have good luck with going to Penski and haggling. When I moved from the Bay Area to SD they quoted me $600 and I talked them down to $375 for the 26 footer. For my last move I got 16 footer with a lift gate and payed around $45, although that was a local move.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I called Budget and Uhaul, still around $3000. I think I'm just going to fly to Phoenix and get a 24' truck for $1500. $75 for the flight and $150 for gas still puts me way ahead.

It's just appaling, I guess I'll just consider it an exodus tax.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I was able to haggle and get a good deal at Budget here in Sacramento. It was a franchise operation, not a corporate location so that may have been a factor. Was half the cost of UHAUL for the same size truck.

UHAUL is a ripoff, you won't get a good deal from them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I called Budget and Uhaul, still around $3000. I think I'm just going to fly to Phoenix and get a 24' truck for $1500. $75 for the flight and $150 for gas still puts me way ahead.

View Quote

What about Vegas?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What about Vegas?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about Vegas?

Thanks, I didnt think of that. It's $1150 with unlimited mileage from Vegas. That's the cheapest by far.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#6]
How much would it cost to use PODS and have them delivered to WA?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:14:29 AM EDT
[#7]
$4000 for four...
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#8]
When I moved my brother from Idaho back to Cal. years ago we had a similar problem getting a one way truck from Idaho.

Ended up renting a truck and trailer locally, drove it to Idaho and brought him back for half price.

Tom
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:12:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Got my truck reserved in Vegas, $1160 before the AAA discount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top