Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 9:26:58 PM EDT
What is your preferred method of bullet button manipulation? More specifically, how do you train for tac reloads etc...?
I've been using the UBBT on ranger plates from Thordsen Customs which works pretty well... Unless I pick up a mag without one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:53:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To be honest if I'm in a situation where I have to make "tactical reloads" I'm unlocking my bullet buttons and shooting to kill.

Anyone who says otherwise is either stupid or stupid.

You don't shoot anyone for fun and games, you shoot someone to save your life, or someone else's life by killing the other guy. Personally I'm not going to risk my life over some infringement of an inalienable right. Facing death or a fine of even a few hundred dollars I'll take the fine.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:03:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I'd rather be doing a tactical "reload" than a non-tactical unscrewing of my bullet button.  Where is that allen wrench, anyway?  Damn!, its in the garage and I can't get there.

To each his own.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Isn't that what the Raddlock is for?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Isn't that what the Raddlock is for?
View Quote

Dunno, tell us more.

I keep my rifles legal.  I'm not expecting SHTF but a burglar/rapist isn't out of the question.  If the bad guy(s) don't flee on my command, they have clearly have nefarious intent.  There'll be little/no time to fuck around changing your bullet button.  It'll be time to shoot, then reload and call 911.

At least, that's how I conceive of it.

Mostly, I conceive of it never happening.

If SHTF/TEOTWAWKI, I agree with Paul, that bullet button is coming off.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Range guns get bullet buttons, house AR is an ugly featureless thing that holds full size mags that drop with use of my index finger.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#7]
That's a plan.

So, featureless OLL can have a regular mag release but you cannot legally install a high cap mag?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have time for a tac reload so I run a 16 round shotgun for HD

Now if it's SHTF then it's the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#9]
My 3Gun ARs has the "Raddlock" . The other one has the standard CA compliant bullet button and this:magmagnet
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:53:34 AM EDT
[#10]
In a SHTF situation I totally agree with Paul. As far as training legally at the range, I keep my rifles compliant, even if unconstitutional. No need to become a felon and lose my guns all together.

As far as training on the one-way range and running classes in CA, I've been using the UBBT. Does anyone else have another way they like to run their rifles for training purposes?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's a plan.

So, featureless OLL can have a regular mag release but you cannot legally install a high cap mag?
View Quote

Featureless can have, legally owned, high capacity mags and mag release. Bullet button can have all the evil features but only 10 round mags.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Featureless can have, legally owned, high capacity mags and mag release. Bullet button can have all the evil features but only 10 round mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a plan.

Ah, yes, completely featureless including no pistol grip.  Got it!
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 1:35:44 AM EDT
[#13]
When using the UBBT, do people do it with the reach over method like the guy in the videos? It seems pretty slow. Do you think having a dummy round on a retractable lanyard on your belt would be faster?
-I guess maybe leaving your left hand on the hand guard, using your right hand to grab the tool and use it to release the mag, then having your right hand grab the pistol grip and do a normal reload?
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#14]
http://www.rifletailor.com/advanced-ar-15-speed-funnel-maglock-bullet-button/

try this.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://www.rifletailor.com/advanced-ar-15-speed-funnel-maglock-bullet-button/

try this.
View Quote

Thanks for the link. The funnel looks really short. I know they supply a shortened mag catch, but is it recessed enough to prevent it being actuated by your finger? It looks really promising. Is this what a lot of people use for classes?
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Everyone is doing something different.

I just use my chamber flag or mags with the bb tool.

http://www.calegalmags.com/AR15M16-223556_c_80.html
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 1:14:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When using the UBBT, do people do it with the reach over method like the guy in the videos? It seems pretty slow. Do you think having a dummy round on a retractable lanyard on your belt would be faster?
-I guess maybe leaving your left hand on the hand guard, using your right hand to grab the tool and use it to release the mag, then having your right hand grab the pistol grip and do a normal reload?
View Quote

I reach under for the button and sort of use my trigger finger as an guide for the UBBT. I've been practicing this a lot and have gotten my reloads down pretty quick. I shot a comp this past weekend and saw all sorts of methods from UBBT, tools on a lanyard, ring tools, rad locks (unlocked and non-Ca complient)) and even regular mag releases (also not CA complient). The guy I saw having the most trouble reloading was one of the guys running a lanyard. Everytime he went to reload he had to reach for the lanyard which would never be right were he thought it was. Once he found it, he fumbled with it getting it oriented to punch his mag release. The guy next to me was running a regular mag release and wasn't noticibly faster at all at reloading than I was (I'm sure if he practiced his reloads a bit more though he would be). I think the UBBT is the best option at running a ca compliment mag release. YMMV. Considering when reloading I'm grabbing a magazine anyways, it just makes sense to eliminate as many other steps as possible by having my tool on my mag.

Like plenty of other members here have stated though, in a SHTF situation my bullet button is going bye-bye.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I reach under for the button and sort of use my trigger finger as an guide for the UBBT. I've been practicing this a lot and have gotten my reloads down pretty quick. I shot a comp this past weekend and saw all sorts of methods from UBBT, tools on a lanyard, ring tools, rad locks (unlocked and non-Ca complient)) and even regular mag releases (also not CA complient). The guy I saw having the most trouble reloading was one of the guys running a lanyard. Everytime he went to reload he had to reach for the lanyard which would never be right were he thought it was. Once he found it, he fumbled with it getting it oriented to punch his mag release. The guy next to me was running a regular mag release and wasn't noticibly faster at all at reloading than I was (I'm sure if he practiced his reloads a bit more though he would be). I think the UBBT is the best option at running a ca compliment mag release. YMMV. Considering when reloading I'm grabbing a magazine anyways, it just makes sense to eliminate as many other steps as possible by having my tool on my mag.

Like plenty of other members here have stated though, in a SHTF situation my bullet button is going bye-bye.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the input. Ya, I'm not interested in any shape or form breaking the law by adding the "detachable magazine" to my rifle while in state. That must be why the Radlock has such a strong following. I normally just use my chamber flag since most of my shooting is done at formal ranges with benches. I thought about the lanyard, but it seemed hard. I would rather have the tool on a retractable cord on my belt. I was also thinking of the UBBT for the magazines.

I'm just looking for a good way to release the magazine without it taking forever when I take classes or if I decide to compete. Do you have any opinion on the rifle tailor BB funnel and glove tool? I'd actually been thinking of trying to rig a tool like that one a few months ago. I searched online, but people seem to not have too much success with their homemade ones, but this looks to be a more refined one. It appears to be very secure to the glove and the funnel I'm sure helps quite a bit. It looks to be as fast as normal releases while keeping the rifle California-safe. I was thinking of getting the UBBT magazines anyways. That way I could use the glove when I want to be fast, use the UBBT on the magazine, or use the chamber flag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top