Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2015 10:33:05 PM EDT
Just thought I'd introduce myself to my new hometown forum.

My family just moved from Florida to the southern California area.  We did a nice leisurely five day drive across the country since we had the two beagles and two cars   Although I have done the trip across I-10 twice before, I found it much nicer this time since there was no pressure to get to where we were going.

This is returning home for me.  I grew up in southern California, did my career in Florida and decided to return to be closer to my parents/family along with exposing the kids to all of the interesting aspects of this area.

We are getting settled in, although our furniture is still somewhere between Miami and here.  We are enjoying exploring the area with day trips to Lake Arrowhead and a hike to Etiwanda Falls.  It's neat to see the kids reactions since they have never seen mountains or anything but flat tropical land.  I was amused when they asked if Lake Arrowhead had alligators.

Once I get settled a little more I hope to find some ranges, possibly Lytle Creek and also find some local matches (USPSA or similar).  If any of you are from this area and want to give advice on good places to shoot, etc., feel free.

It's good to be home.  I look forward to meeting and/or chatting with you all.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome back.  I'm a couple hundred miles north of you so I can't help with range or match info but you shouldn't have any trouble finding what you are looking for.  Did you bring any water with you?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome back.  I'm a couple hundred miles north of you so I can't help with range or match info but you shouldn't have any trouble finding what you are looking for.  Did you bring any water with you?
View Quote

I was at SMF airport last week.  A woman tried to bring water through the security checkpoint.  The TSA agent told her she would have to pour it out.  She told him, "We are in a drought, I'll let you pour out water and waste it while we all watch you.".  The TSA agend did exactly that and told her to move along, it was funny.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#3]
You didn't say where you are,  so we don't know what's local to you....

Anyways, welcome back home.   Lytle Creek is great.

Take the kids up the Palm Springs aerial tram.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:35:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Well good to have you back!  If you take the middle route to Lake Arrowhead (Hwy 30) to Highland Ave and then up Hwy 330, there is a small detour fire road off to the right,

just above the 1st passing lane.  It leads to a small shooting area with the backstop being a high mountainside.  Taught my boys how to shoot there.  Myself and the US Forestry

LE agents used to patrol the area.  Again, welcome back.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Lots of the desert is open to shooting.

Look up San Bernardino County Shooting maps.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You didn't say where you are,  so we don't know what's local to you....

Anyways, welcome back home.   Lytle Creek is great.

Take the kids up the Palm Springs aerial tram.
View Quote

North part of Rancho Cucamonga area, great view of the San Gabriel Mountains outside of my back yard.  The tram is at the top of the list for a weekend trip.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.  Although Florida was more gun friendly, it sounds like there are more shooting opportunities here.  I'll check out the Arrowhead suggestions and get some maps.

One thing I did notice is the smog seems to have improved over the last several decades or I am just above the smog line.

It'll take me a few weeks to get settled, get the change of addresses in, new DL's/registrations, etc. and I need to get a CCW so if anyone has info or suggestions for San Bernardino feel free to PM me.

And, no I didn't bring any water, but as I was watching  the news the place i moved from is about to get dumped on by a hurricane.  Closed on the old house just in time.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Despite all the bitching and moaning about emission controls on cars and businesses, air quality has improved significantly.  

When I was a kid, I'd go outside in the morning and my eyes would burn in the smog.  That no longer happens.  When a classic car goes by, I always say to myself , "Cool!".  Then I smell the exhaust fumes they emit,...

I think ozone levels are still too high but even that is getting better.  Heck, ozone levels used to be so high there would be daily news reports about hazardous levels on bad days and they would not let kids play/exercise outdoors while at school.  I haven't heard one of those in a long time.

P.S. - there are no alligators in Lake Arrowhead.  There is, however, a Nessie-type monster.  She lies in wait beneath the surface waiting to prey on small children.  muwahhahahahahah.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:Although Florida was more gun friendly, it sounds like there are more shooting opportunities here.  I'll check out the Arrowhead suggestions and get some maps.

One thing I did notice is the smog seems to have improved over the last several decades or I am just above the smog line.

View Quote

CA has lots of open public land, unlike so many other states.  It is a true resource.

And yes the smog is a fraction of what it used to be, despite there being 5x as many people and cars.  Much of that is because the smokestack jobs were all driven out, though.

Emission controls on cars was also a huge help.  The "good ol' days" of points and carbs, weren't.  Modern fuel injection and ECU technology makes much more power, with less smog, on less fuel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top