Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2015 8:51:53 PM EDT
Next year my family would like to take a vacation in California.  The list of things that we would like to do include:

- stay overnight and hike Yosemite;
- shop and explore San Fran;
- hike in the redwood forests;
- mountain bike (nice moderate skill level downhill single track would cover my whole family);
- possibly stay at a beach house for a few days.

I realize that this is a lot to pack into a week long trip.  But I am the designated travel agent on this venture and am trying to accommodate everyone's to-do list.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  We realize that we might be staying in multiple locations throughout the week and would plan to rent a large SUV to base out of.  We are looking for locations, bike rental spots (medium to high end mtn bikes), cabins, etc.  The more detail the better.

Also, I am concerned about being in the woods without protection.  I have read stories of mountain lion attacks on people biking and hiking.  What are my options for carrying a gun?  Can I fly into California with a 1911 and OC it in the woods?  I might have to get a G41 with 10 round mags for this trip, another X300 and an ALS.    I know that I would have to fly into a city that didn't ban handguns.

What are the average temperatures in that area in the summer and are there any beaches where we can swim and now freeze?

Please advise as my clients (ahem) are telling me that cabins and hotels are already booking up for next summer.

TIA, AR15.com always has comes through on things like this!

Corey
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#1]
OC is ended on public lands, unless you have a valid hunting license.  I don't think California recognizes  CC permits from other states.

Yosemite is extremely nice, right now, with lots of hiking opportunities.  The buses which circle the valley floor are free and perform an endless loop.  You can't get permits to do the John Muir Trail in Yosemite valley.  That's online/smartphone territory.

So Cal beaches are very nice right now, too.  I can't answer for the central coast or Nor Cal.

I suppose you mean Giant Redwoods?  There are several patches.  You can car camp right near the General Sherman Grove of giant sequoias.  Generally, these trees are a coastal fog kind of deal.

You won't be far from Wine Country.  I'm told wineries give tours.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:05:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Yosemite to Coastal Redwoods is 350 miles as the crow flies.  San Francisco would be a decent stopping place along the way.  

As an alternative, consider a visit to Sequoia National Park.  It's just an hour or so south of Yosemite Valley and the trees really are awesome.  The Coastal Redwoods are awesome too but they are a very different environment - a fern covered forest floor.

Fort Bragg, near the Redwoods, has motels as close to the beach as you could hope for and not get wet on the incoming tide.  :-)

Once you are up there, the Mendocino Coast is a worthwhile drive.  They call it the "Lost Coast".    

Prepare for cool, damp, breezy evenings (marine layer), as well as sunny, warm days.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:36:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you plan on spending this trip in Northern/Central California, correct?
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 3:25:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Fly into SFO or Oakland.    Make a loop trip north on 1 and 101.  101 to 128 then 128 to 1 on the coast.  Mendocino, Ft. Bragg.  north up to Eureka.  In the Eureka area, Ferndale, Ft. Humbolt, Samoa Cookhouse, then to the redwoods, Prairie Creek is especially nice.  Probably your best bet is to stay in Eureka or Arcata.  Then over the coast range via 299 Weaverville, stay in Redding.  (Other small towns around like Dunsmuir but aren't cheap) Drive up 5 through Dunsmuir, Weed, around Mt. Shasta and then over to MacArthur-Burney Falls.  Next day back and then through Mt Lassen Park for the volcanic activity.  South from there are several possible routes 89 to 49 and follow 49 down through the Gold Rush Country to Yosemite.  89 continue to Truckee, up to Lake Tahoe, drop down to Carson City Nevada.  Catch the RR museum and History Museum in Carson City and drive up the hill to Virginia City.  Then 395 south to the east side into Yosemite via Tioga  Pass.  Bodi State Historical Park is a great saved ghost town.  You have to then go west over Tioga other wise drive pretty much south around the south end of the Sierras.  No cross mountain roads

After Yosemite back to SFO/OAK.  or the other way around.  

The State RR Museum in Sacramento and Old Sacramento are where the Transcontinental Railroad and Pony Express started or ended.

Beach houses, not familiar with them up in that area.  The coast is mostly bluffy and most of the beaches are parks.  The NorCal guys can address them

Mountain Biking?  I expect there are several places along 101 that can accommodate.

The Redwood Country around Eureka, Mt Shasta and Mt. Lassen must sees if you are in Northern California.

Western History - Carson City, Bodie, Virginia City, Donner Lake and Donner Pass

Caveats - The high country in the Northern and Central Sierras can get snow closures from October through June.  Some of the higher passes will close all winter.  50 and 80 over Donner Pass and around Lake Tahoe are usually kept open but can be delayed in storms.  Even in summers there are no roads over the High Sierra between Tioga Pass and Walker Pass (down by Bakersfield)
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 3:46:34 AM EDT
[#5]
This is our trip in September 2011  through many of the areas you might be interested in

http://www.pbase.com/n6nvr/vacation_2011

Mountain lion attacks have been pretty much limited to Southern California.  

Contrary to popular opinion, we don't have gunfights breaking out all the time outside the gang areas.  I have a friend in my general vicinity most of the time, generally locked in the back of the vehicle.  Unless I am in the desert, then it's a lot closer.  A pistol isn't going to help if you find a sasquatch.

BTW, if you end up shooting at an animal in any of the parks, well it's probably better if you had let the animal eat you.

Local inquiry can be good to find out current bear conditions.  

San Francisco is a beautiful city and lot's to do and see.

Coastal Redwoods start in Big Sur and stretch north to almost the Oregon border.  Taller and skinnier, coastal fogs are essential to them, usually fern and similar plants underneath.  Many Star Wars Ewok scenes were shot in coastal redwood groves.  Giant Redwoods (Sequoias) are shorter and squatter and are in groves on the west side of the Sierras from Kern County north Yosemite.  All are unbelievable.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:11:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Hi Corey,

This is the “little bit of everything” plan:

Day-1:  fly into SF, spend the day/night there. Hotel.
Shopping
Hiking
Pier-39
Alcatraz (book early)
Tour USS Hornet (check availability, book online)
(No way to fit all of the above into one day, just listing some options that may be of interest.)

Day-2:  drive to Monterey (approx. 2hrs), spend the day/night there. Beach house.
Monterey Bay Aquarium
Kayaking in the bay
Swimming (water is pretty cold, maybe not by WI standards though…)
Not your Southern CA sunning/tanning on the beach weather typically
Could drive to Santa Cruz for the boardwalk and better beach areas.
Sunsets on the beach are quite nice.  Possible bonfire on the beach.

Day-3:  Monterey.  Spend day/night.

Day-4:  Drive to Yosemite (approx. 4hrs) spend the day/night there. Hotel.  Not the tents (noise, comfort, hanta virus.  Maybe nothing to worry about on the virus, just not a fan of the tents after staying in them quite a few times.)
Hikes
History/wildlife information
wading/swimming in river
Tour the valley, drive to Glacier Point
Typically crowded in the Spring/Summer. Out on hikes people density is reduced a bit.

Day-5. Yosemite in the morning. Drive to Lake Tahoe (approx. 4.5hrs)  spend the evening/night there
Yosemite: Vernal Falls, or continue to Nevada Falls  
Lake Tahoe: evening walk along the lake.

Day-6: Lake Tahoe. Spend the day/night there.
Mountain biking at ski area & surrounding trails.
Kayaking/boating/swimming on the lake.
Hiking
Shows, gambling, etc.

Day-7: Drive to Carson City NV (approx. 1.5hrs) spend partial day in Carson City, maybe Virginia City too.  Drive to Reno (approx. 0.5hrs) spend partial day in Reno. Fly from Reno to WI

Might be a bit more traveling than desired, and a few deviations from your original outline.  You only get a glimpse of some of the places, but exposure to wide variety of areas & activities.  

If you do take the PaDanby Northern CA version, consider spending some time at Lava Beds park near the OR border if you are interested in caving.  Self-guided exploration of the lava tubes.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Make your Yosemite reservation for next year now.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you all so much!  We will look into it!

Any recommendations on specific bike rental places, restaurants, etc?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Okay, so we want some warm water but understand we are not going to get it in northern Cali.

How about flying into San Fran and then driving down to Pfeiffer Beach in the Los Padres National Forest?  Is there a cool beach closer to San Fran?  We are not looking to swim all the much, but just hike and see the sights.

This is Stage One of our trip.

Please let me know what you think or if there is a cool beach closer to San Fran.

We have given up on arriving at LA and driving north b/c it's too long of a drive.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Swimming is allowed at several of the beaches in Pt. Lobos State Reserve.  Parking is pretty close.  My impression is that you need to hike to most of the beaches in the Big Sur area.  If you go a little further south to the Cambria/San Simeon area there are lots of nice beaches, plus the elephant seal rookeries at Piedras Blancas.

Motels are significantly cheaper in Seaside, just a few miles east of Monterey.  Check on if there are any car shows or race weeks, those can significantly impact the area.  Although if you are a car nut, the Monterey Show  is supposed to be one of the best.

However these take you half a day or a full day out of the Bay area, to get there
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#11]
You can rent houses in Stinson Beach. Right across the Golden Gate Bridge. There is a private housing area called Sea Drift. Most of the homes have been remodeled in the past 10 years. I know, I did the work on some of them.

They will probably be expensive.

ETA: I live in Marin county, on the other side of the GGB.

PM me if you have any questions and I'll try to help.

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#12]
For mountain biking here is the best advice you will get

Flume Trail  Lake Tahoe. They rent bike for the ride. Voted one of the best trails in the US. I have done it great ride

For the SF area - Look up Santa Cruz bikes in Santa Cruz, You can demo a bike for $20 for 4 hours. Weekends go quick. 5 miles away from the factory are great downhill trails. 1 mile up the road you can ride next to the ocean.

There is also Northstar Ski/bike park near Tahoe. They rent bikes. All downhill fast with jumps.

If you want more MB info contact me at [email protected]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top