Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2015 2:59:52 AM EDT
Hello,

I am being transferred to the Sacramento area and have questions about bringing my rifles with me.  I know I will do my legal research, but in general I would like to bring my Remington 700XCR in 338LM.  Is there anything I need to be aware of or are they prohibited in the state?

I am selling off all of my other rifles, but I would really like to keep my 700 because it is a great long distance target rifle.  Thanks for the help.

P.S.  Any recommendations for 1000+ meter ranges near Sacramento?
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:29:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm down in San Bernardino County so can't help with official ranges up there, but keep in mind there are 245 million acres of BLM land. You can shoot on much of it.

I've been told of some areas with decent natural backstops that'll be good for 1,000 meters. I haven't seen them myself, haven't been here a year yet so still learning my way around the desert. It's sounded like it was a bit of a hike to get there. Either way, just keep it in the back of your head you can save money shooting on BLM land. Certain areas have restrictions - some only allow shotgun, no shooting near cities obviously, etc; but you can find areas to shoot on be BLM website. Bass Pro Shops even sells color coded maps of BLM land for $10.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Ooh, ooh, ooh.....

Looks like I beat Paul to the the punch, so to quote him word for word:

"I welcome yet another gun owner to California"

(Please don't ban me)
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:38:28 AM EDT
[#3]
It's late, I'm on my phone so can't look it up right now but there are a couple of stickies at the top of the CA hometown thread with links to CA gun laws including lists of what rifles are banned by name.

As for handguns you can bring off-roster handguns but rifles are outlawed specifically by name. If you're not on that list you're good to go.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Bolt action is good to go (only .50 BMG would be a problem)

Sac Valley Shooting Center in Sloughhouse (just a little South of Sac) has a 1000 yd. range.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the reply and  the welcome to CA.....it will be interesting..
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome! I'm in Sac and their are lots of places to go shooting around here. Tons of indoor ranges and Sac Valley outdoor. Sac Valley is a really nice range and they have 500m reactive range and the 1000 yard range. Note at Sac Valley most of the fun ranges you will need to be a voting member to use, guest of one, or at a sponsored event. So start going, become a non-voting member and make friends. There is also plenty of open land that is legal for shooting

If you have any questions about the Sac area let me know
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Another Sacramento area resident checking in (El Dorado County, specifically). Your rifle is fine, there are no restrictions on bolt-guns other than 50BMG and the mag limit of 10 rounds.

As for shooting, take Highway 50 up to the Sly Park exit, turn right, follow road that to Mormon Immigrant Trail, and go up. It's all BLM land up there. There are numerous unofficial ranges off the road that are great for shorter-range shooting, and if you go further up you can reach some nice hiking trails going into mountain valleys. I like to hike off Silver Fork Road (a logging road off Mormon Immigrant that hits a campground) and after an easy hour hike you could go up a hill and shoot 1000 yards or beyond with good safety and limited visitors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top