Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2015 2:29:58 PM EDT
Like it says. Seems the BLM website is down so cant look for a FAQs or anything. I do see that Cow Mountain has a designated range, but I'm an anti social crotchety old bastard so prefer to shoot like I drink. Alone.

Is CM open for shooting anywhere, or is shooting restricted to the range only?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#1]
from what I could find in a few minutes, the answer is no.  per page 46 of the 2006 final Ukiah Resource Management Plan (http://www.blm.gov/ca/pdfs/ukiah_pdfs/rmp-eis/UKFO_RMP_FINAL.pdf), there is no shooting allowed in  backcountry or middlecountry, and limited shooting in frontcountry.  the more recent final interim supplementary rules (http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/fed_reg_archives/2011/june/ukiah_fo_interim_rules.html) state that "Cow Mountain is comprised of approximately 51,000 acres of public lands and divided into North and South Cow Mountain. The use of weapons is limited to designated shooting areas except when hunting.South Cow Mountain OHV (Portion) of Cow Mountain Management Area."

sorry for the bad news.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:55:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Went the range at Cow Mtn ~10 years ago - not worth the drive back then. Maybe it's gotten better but since it's too close to Ukiah and Lakeport I'm guessing not......................
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Went the range at Cow Mtn ~10 years ago - not worth the drive back then. Maybe it's gotten better but since it's too close to Ukiah and Lakeport I'm guessing not......................
View Quote

I have a few steel targets I'd like to shoot, but I have little desire to walk downrange on an unsupervised lane or to hang up my non-rifle rated targets knowing some asshat could try to be funny and decide to pop it with his rifle.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#4]
It's been a couple of years since I shot there, but when I used to go, we just set up around the creek beds right by the gate and used the hillside across as a backstop. I never got bothered by anyone there, but apparently it's a no-go from reading above.

Any reason you don't use the Konocti Rod and Gun club range on Highland Springs Road?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, you are welcome....  
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP, you are welcome....  
View Quote

Oh sorry, seriously thank you!

My Google fu was pretty weak that day I guess.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's been a couple of years since I shot there, but when I used to go, we just set up around the creek beds right by the gate and used the hillside across as a backstop. I never got bothered by anyone there, but apparently it's a no-go from reading above.

Any reason you don't use the Konocti Rod and Gun club range on Highland Springs Road?
View Quote

I have a membership at United Sportsman in Pittsburg, I may have to give these guys a call and check on their steel rules.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:58:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or the Ukiah Gun club on Vichy Springs  Road....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top