Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2015 12:04:32 PM EDT
As I understand it, 30rd magazines in CA are a no go unless you possessed them in CA before 2001. If this is the case, and someone wanted to take them out of state temporarily, would you be able to bring them back in legally? Or would that fall under "importation"?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Prior to 2000 and they only need be owned by you and in the state at some point prior to 2000.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Prior to 2000 and they only need be owned by you and in the state at some point prior to 2000.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for the clarification.

Quoted:
You can come and go with your magazines.

If you owned the magazine inside the state at any time prior to 2000 you can bring them back in.

Thanks. I'm curious if anyone here has had an encounter with any .gov official (i.e. at the agriculture checkpoint coming into CA from AZ) in which they possessed these magazines and what their experiences have been. While this may be completely legal, I don't have complete confidence that a LEO would be abreast of all the technicalities and grandfather-type clauses.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#4]
The only issues I have heard of, are from people who went across the boarder and bought hi-caps at Cabelas or a Gun show and tried to come back. There are UC Davis snitches that will report you and the DOJ will pull you over. As for Ag inspection, just don't bring back any assualt fruit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There are UC Davis snitches that will report you and the DOJ will pull you over.
View Quote

I don't understand the UC Davis snitches part of this.  Is there a story there?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The only issues I have heard of, are from people who went across the boarder and bought hi-caps at Cabelas or a Gun show and tried to come back. There are UC Davis snitches that will report you and the DOJ will pull you over. As for Ag inspection, just don't bring back any assualt fruit.
View Quote

Yeah, these are legally owned, and very clearly old/worn. I just can't use them in this wonderful state unless I pin them... and that's never gonna happen.

Oh, and I'll try to stay away from these:
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#7]
That's a nice rifle but you should really re-think the kind of ammo you are feeding it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are UC Davis snitches that will report you and the DOJ will pull you over.

There is a well known professor at Davis that gives students credit for camping out and taking license plates of CA residents who go to gun places and turn it over to he DOJ.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There is a well known professor at Davis that gives students credit for camping out and taking license plates of CA residents who go to gun places and turn it over to he DOJ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Piss on that piece of shit and the students that work with him ...
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sorry, come back with a warrant.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, come back with a warrant.

Come Back With a Warrant Doormat on Amazon
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not "well known".  What is his name?  What Department does he work in at UC Davis?  What is the motivation for this behavior?  Is this still going on?
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is not "well known".  What is his name?  What Department does he work in at UC Davis?  What is the motivation for this behavior?  Is this still going on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/vprp/aboutus/wintemute.html

The traitor.  

Basically he has students camp out and report CA residents to other students in the store who try and record you buying hi-cap mags. They then send the info to the DOJ and CHP
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#14]
When coming back into California with legally owned Large Capacity Magazines, just do two important things:

1.  Ensure the magazines are secure and out of sight.
2.  If asked by LEOs if there are any weapons or anything illegal in your vehicle, Just Say NO.

Because...

It is not illegal to lie to a cop (unless they are investigating you related to a Specific Crime).  Cops often don't know the actual law (despite their job being to enforce these laws).  So to avoid potential problems if you run into one of these idiots with a badge, Provide only the information you are legally required to; which during a traffic stop usually involves your name, drivers license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance.  

When cops ask to search your vehicle, always refuse!  Cops aren't your friends at that time & they don't want to search your vehicle to help you.  They are looking for something to charge, cite, confiscate, and/or arrest you on!

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It is not illegal to lie to a cop (unless they are investigating you related to a Specific Crime).

View Quote

I believed that's only a crime if the police investigating you are Feds.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not illegal to lie to a cop (unless they are investigating you related to a Specific Crime).

Cops seem to love trying to threaten and/or charge someone with "interfering or hindering an investigation" for BS reasons.  If one of the first things you ask a cop is "Are you investigating me as a suspect or witness to a specific or particular crime?", and they answer NO; then you have more leverage.

And never lie to a federal LEO.  If questioned by one, request a lawyer and say nothing else!

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Had my legal mags stolen by a Forest cop a few years ago. Don't use your grandfathered mags plinking is my advice.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#18]
What steps need to be taken to make a high cap mag legal? Is it as simple as dropping a block of wood inside, or do they need to be permanently modified to not accept more than 10 rounds...ie...pinned?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Had my legal mags stolen by a Forest cop a few years ago. Don't use your grandfathered mags plinking is my advice.
View Quote

Details, please.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Details, please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details, please.

This...
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What steps need to be taken to make a high cap mag legal? Is it as simple as dropping a block of wood inside, or do they need to be permanently modified to not accept more than 10 rounds...ie...pinned?
View Quote

As I understand it, they need to be modified in such a way that it is impossible to return the magazine back to standard capacity.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:52:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
This...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Details, please.

This...
4 years ago or so. Italian Beretta mags, 15 rounders. The forest cop gave me a bunch of BS and took them, said to call up with the receipt and I'd get them back. It started raining so I just went along.

Calling did nothing. The guy proved impossible to get a hold of. I have up and moved on.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
4 years ago or so. Italian Beretta mags, 15 rounders. The forest cop gave me a bunch of BS and took them, said to call up with the receipt and I'd get them back. It started raining so I just went along.

Calling did nothing. The guy proved impossible to get a hold of. I have up and moved on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details, please.

This...

Sounds like a dick cop was looking for some free mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top